Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

Teenager theists and 'Christians'.

GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 11:38:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
There are quite a few teenagers who believe in God and go to church. Brought up in and Christian house hold and have hardly ever read the Bible. They believe in God based on an inheritance not so much on reason or logic, and without thinking for themselves on why they believe in God, they go around college, never speaking about their belief in God or the Bible. But if they are the type who does talk about their faith (only when confronted), they would say to a degree that if you were to ask them why they don't believe in evolution they would reply something like, "Because if evolution was true, apes wouldn't be around today?".

And then there are the liberals, they believe in evolution because they think the book of Genesis is compatible with evolution. When really it clearly is not (God created the land animals on day 6, yet the birds were created on day 5. According to evolution birds came millions of years after when dinosaurs were already in their prime). They also would typically join in with gay march protests, and think that having sex before marriage is ok if you love your girl or boy friend. By which they are only 16.

The theist or the self professing Christian will attend a weekly youth group where they play games and do quizzes about Bible questions, but no true biblical teaching goes on. If a radical true Christian were to turn up and says appropriately something like, "God hates those who do wrong - we have all done wrong - God hates us - Psalm 5:5." The theist or self professing Christian will claim that is false and that God is not like that but God never hates. A gentle argument will arise, and next week the self professing Christian won't show up. But he or she will forever ignore that true Christian.

I've spoken to youthful 'Christians' and theists and I've asked why do you believe what you do. And they seem to have an idea that Christianity and God aren't to be taken that seriously, based on their attitude, God forgives, and I'm only human, so they do and say whatever they want. But from time to time you will find perhaps a girl (tents to be girls) who say they love Jesus with all their heart and 'Jesus Rocks!', and they would print that all over their network page, then two years later they are practicing Buddhists. Phases basically, their grow out of them.

Teenage theists and 'Christians' don't take a huge interest in what they believe to be true, they either believe in God because that's what their mummy and daddy believed in, and they call themselves Christians because, well same again, mummy and daddy believe and go to church on Sunday. And for the 14/15 years of their life, they were made to go to church because they were too young to stay at home alone, and they hated it. But they believe in it. And some still go to church at 14/15 years old because they have friends that go, or because they still have to go and they hate it still. They don't actually understand what they believe in though, they understand that Jesus Christ died for their sins once on a cross and rose again, but that isn't a reality in their lives, just a concept that if they listen and like what they hear, they call themselves Christians.

This is all based on past experiences. Would you agree with all of this?
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 12:20:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
For the most part, yeah, there are a few minor things I might disagree with slightly.

I absolutely hate how churches tend to be run. But you know, if you really want to learn about your religion.. If it really is that important to you, you'll read the bible or whatever yourself.

Anyway, yeah, teens tend to go through religious phases, and that is all good if you ask me. Shows they actually might be concerned about whether what they believe is true or not.

Problem is, unless they are really serious about it, they tend to only have a surface understanding of what they are doing. Something you obviously have noticed.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 12:33:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 12:20:12 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
For the most part, yeah, there are a few minor things I might disagree with slightly.

I absolutely hate how churches tend to be run. But you know, if you really want to learn about your religion.. If it really is that important to you, you'll read the bible or whatever yourself.

Anyway, yeah, teens tend to go through religious phases, and that is all good if you ask me. Shows they actually might be concerned about whether what they believe is true or not.

Problem is, unless they are really serious about it, they tend to only have a surface understanding of what they are doing. Something you obviously have noticed.

Surface understanding is a good term, I will use it from now on.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 12:34:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I disagree with that liberal christians aren't true christians, they seem like the only true ones unless you stick with everything.
As far as the "Defense of Marriage Act" thing (I'm just using this as an example), it tends to get a whole lot of bible clinging "levaticus" support, so I ask them to please also pass the "Defense of Clothing Act", because if gay people are corrupting our youth, so is the mixing of fabrics.
If gay marriage defiles your marriage, then cotton/polyester clothing, but also defile yours.
If gays openly teaching children, or tell children its okay to be gay, then so is the public sale of such materials.

However, the conservative christian will ignore the scripture that doesn't go with his perception, and hatred, thus losing all respect for me.

If christians believe one thing strictly due to the bible, they must believe everything else of similar merit for the same reason.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 12:36:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I just don't think radical "God hates us all" "God hates f@gs" people are true christians at all, because jesus teaches to not judge others, to not hate, not to preach, and to love everyone the same.

Your "true" christians tend to be the biggest hypocrites of all.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 12:38:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
That was one of the things I disagreed with.

If you read and understand what Jesus is trying to say, your opinion and interpretation of the Old Testament changes drastically.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 12:39:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 12:38:40 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
That was one of the things I disagreed with.

If you read and understand what Jesus is trying to say, your opinion and interpretation of the Old Testament changes drastically.

By drastically, you will no longer see it as the literal word of god.. Or even an accurate translation of god..
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 1:06:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
: At 3/1/2011 12:36:40 PM, lovelife wrote:
I just don't think radical "God hates us all" "God hates f@gs" people are true christians at all, because jesus teaches to not judge others, to not hate, not to preach, and to love everyone the same.

Your "true" christians tend to be the biggest hypocrites of all.


Where does it say in the Bible that we cannot judge one another? Do you even know?
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 1:13:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Oh pardon me, I was agreeing with the liberal Christians being a little closer to the mark than the conservative ones.

Jesus says to not judge unless you are prepared to be judged in the same way that you judge. Do not try to fix other people's problems unless you have fixed that problem yourself.. You will be more effective this way.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 1:25:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 1:13:24 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Oh pardon me, I was agreeing with the liberal Christians being a little closer to the mark than the conservative ones.

Jesus says to not judge unless you are prepared to be judged in the same way that you judge. Do not try to fix other people's problems unless you have fixed that problem yourself.. You will be more effective this way.

Yes I agree that is what Jesus said about judging, but I don't agree with liberal Christianity, it is not closer to the mark at all. In fact liberal Christianity can translate the Bible in any way they wish. Of course there is obvious parts in the Bible where things aren't meant to be taken literally, rather poetically or metaphorically.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 1:29:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 1:25:50 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/1/2011 1:13:24 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Oh pardon me, I was agreeing with the liberal Christians being a little closer to the mark than the conservative ones.

Jesus says to not judge unless you are prepared to be judged in the same way that you judge. Do not try to fix other people's problems unless you have fixed that problem yourself.. You will be more effective this way.

Yes I agree that is what Jesus said about judging, but I don't agree with liberal Christianity, it is not closer to the mark at all. In fact liberal Christianity can translate the Bible in any way they wish. Of course there is obvious parts in the Bible where things aren't meant to be taken literally, rather poetically or metaphorically.

By closer to the mark, I mean they aren't AS trapped in the letter of the law. They have a better grasp of the spirit behind the law.

Most conservative followers of religion.. It is pretty obvious from the New Testament accounts that Jesus found them deplorable.

That sad, they are all missing the point.. However, a liberal mindset is more conducive to actually figuring it out than the conservative mindset.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 1:34:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 1:29:53 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 3/1/2011 1:25:50 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/1/2011 1:13:24 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Oh pardon me, I was agreeing with the liberal Christians being a little closer to the mark than the conservative ones.

Jesus says to not judge unless you are prepared to be judged in the same way that you judge. Do not try to fix other people's problems unless you have fixed that problem yourself.. You will be more effective this way.

Yes I agree that is what Jesus said about judging, but I don't agree with liberal Christianity, it is not closer to the mark at all. In fact liberal Christianity can translate the Bible in any way they wish. Of course there is obvious parts in the Bible where things aren't meant to be taken literally, rather poetically or metaphorically.


By closer to the mark, I mean they aren't AS trapped in the letter of the law. They have a better grasp of the spirit behind the law.

Most conservative followers of religion.. It is pretty obvious from the New Testament accounts that Jesus found them deplorable.


That sad, they are all missing the point.. However, a liberal mindset is more conducive to actually figuring it out than the conservative mindset.

You want to know what Christianit is about, since you seem to miss the point, like a lot of liberals do, go and see how historical Christianity was acted out.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 1:44:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 1:34:52 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/1/2011 1:29:53 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 3/1/2011 1:25:50 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/1/2011 1:13:24 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Oh pardon me, I was agreeing with the liberal Christians being a little closer to the mark than the conservative ones.

Jesus says to not judge unless you are prepared to be judged in the same way that you judge. Do not try to fix other people's problems unless you have fixed that problem yourself.. You will be more effective this way.

Yes I agree that is what Jesus said about judging, but I don't agree with liberal Christianity, it is not closer to the mark at all. In fact liberal Christianity can translate the Bible in any way they wish. Of course there is obvious parts in the Bible where things aren't meant to be taken literally, rather poetically or metaphorically.


By closer to the mark, I mean they aren't AS trapped in the letter of the law. They have a better grasp of the spirit behind the law.

Most conservative followers of religion.. It is pretty obvious from the New Testament accounts that Jesus found them deplorable.


That sad, they are all missing the point.. However, a liberal mindset is more conducive to actually figuring it out than the conservative mindset.

You want to know what Christianit is about, since you seem to miss the point, like a lot of liberals do, go and see how historical Christianity was acted out.

I'm a biblical scholar, and I'm familiar enough with other fields of study to say that there is nothing miraculous in historical Christianity.

If you want to make another topic about it, go ahead. I don't want to clutter this one up unintentionally.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
jmar8542
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 2:50:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It's hard to say who the "true" Christians are. Scripture can be used to support love and hate. The "God hates F@gs" conservative Christians are justified by Scripture, but so are the "Jesus loves you" bunch. It's all a matter of the importance the reader/church assigns to each chapter/verse. I, however, would much rather associate with those in the the latter group, "true" or not.
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:04:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 2:50:48 PM, jmar8542 wrote:
It's hard to say who the "true" Christians are. Scripture can be used to support love and hate. The "God hates F@gs" conservative Christians are justified by Scripture, but so are the "Jesus loves you" bunch. It's all a matter of the importance the reader/church assigns to each chapter/verse. I, however, would much rather associate with those in the the latter group, "true" or not.

Except that the "God hates f*gs" people are hypocrites. They go to the OT for justification of those beliefs while going around claiming the OT doesn't matter for Christians since Jesus said to love your enemy or w/e. Apparently the OT does matter though when it's convenient for them.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:06:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I couldn't help but notice that these arseholes are eating pork, and shaving their beards.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
jmar8542
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:13:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 3:04:23 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Except that the "God hates f*gs" people are hypocrites. They go to the OT for justification of those beliefs while going around claiming the OT doesn't matter for Christians since Jesus said to love your enemy or w/e. Apparently the OT does matter though when it's convenient for them.

Exactly lol. I was watching a vid on youtube of this pastor, and he's one of the few that actually makes sense and is inspiring. He claims to "hate organized religion" because of this. His sermon was about listening to Christian radio and TV broadcasts, but never once hearing the name of Jesus or anything about his teachings. He says religion is about "do this, do that", and it completely forgets the point of everything.
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:15:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 3:13:12 PM, jmar8542 wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:04:23 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Except that the "God hates f*gs" people are hypocrites. They go to the OT for justification of those beliefs while going around claiming the OT doesn't matter for Christians since Jesus said to love your enemy or w/e. Apparently the OT does matter though when it's convenient for them.

Exactly lol. I was watching a vid on youtube of this pastor, and he's one of the few that actually makes sense and is inspiring. He claims to "hate organized religion" because of this. His sermon was about listening to Christian radio and TV broadcasts, but never once hearing the name of Jesus or anything about his teachings. He says religion is about "do this, do that", and it completely forgets the point of everything.

That is pretty much the point of it, exactly why the majority of my family is so against organized religion.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:23:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 12:39:48 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 3/1/2011 12:38:40 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
That was one of the things I disagreed with.

If you read and understand what Jesus is trying to say, your opinion and interpretation of the Old Testament changes drastically.

By drastically, you will no longer see it as the literal word of god.. Or even an accurate translation of god..

I think it's a great cosmic hyperbole.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:30:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 3:23:21 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/1/2011 12:39:48 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 3/1/2011 12:38:40 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
That was one of the things I disagreed with.

If you read and understand what Jesus is trying to say, your opinion and interpretation of the Old Testament changes drastically.

By drastically, you will no longer see it as the literal word of god.. Or even an accurate translation of god..

I think it's a great cosmic hyperbole.

Fits in well with Jewish stereotypes, doesn't it? XD
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:32:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 3:30:01 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:23:21 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/1/2011 12:39:48 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 3/1/2011 12:38:40 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
That was one of the things I disagreed with.

If you read and understand what Jesus is trying to say, your opinion and interpretation of the Old Testament changes drastically.

By drastically, you will no longer see it as the literal word of god.. Or even an accurate translation of god..

I think it's a great cosmic hyperbole.

Fits in well with Jewish stereotypes, doesn't it? XD

I don't know why, but the OT really ruffles my grey feathers.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:34:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 3:32:14 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:30:01 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:23:21 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/1/2011 12:39:48 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 3/1/2011 12:38:40 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
That was one of the things I disagreed with.

If you read and understand what Jesus is trying to say, your opinion and interpretation of the Old Testament changes drastically.

By drastically, you will no longer see it as the literal word of god.. Or even an accurate translation of god..

I think it's a great cosmic hyperbole.

Fits in well with Jewish stereotypes, doesn't it? XD

I don't know why, but the OT really ruffles my grey feathers.

Don't give me that crap, you know exactly why.

There are some redeeming parts though.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 5:39:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 1:06:02 PM, GodSands wrote:
: At 3/1/2011 12:36:40 PM, lovelife wrote:
I just don't think radical "God hates us all" "God hates f@gs" people are true christians at all, because jesus teaches to not judge others, to not hate, not to preach, and to love everyone the same.

Your "true" christians tend to be the biggest hypocrites of all.


Where does it say in the Bible that we cannot judge one another? Do you even know?

These mostly

"Judge not, that ye be not judged."
...
"For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

"Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?"

"Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 5:40:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 12:39:48 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 3/1/2011 12:38:40 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
That was one of the things I disagreed with.

If you read and understand what Jesus is trying to say, your opinion and interpretation of the Old Testament changes drastically.

By drastically, you will no longer see it as the literal word of god.. Or even an accurate translation of god..

Yes, yes indeed. I was able to see just how foolish conservative "christians" are when I spent time being a jew.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave