Total Posts:36|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

From where do your values come?

innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 2:58:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Mine - early foundation from mom, then teachings of Christ. Along the way some important people were put in my path who helped me a lot who gently showed me my fears and how they played with my hidden values, but by far the greatest impact to my values came from pain and suffering that made me understand what is important in life.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:00:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Self examination, compassion, empathy, and social physics.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:01:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't really have any values, I'm full of sh!t.

Also, the above statement is false.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
jmar8542
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:04:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Sometimes my own reasoning, sometimes Jesus, sometimes Buddha, and more recently Eris.

..lol
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:08:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 3:04:39 PM, jmar8542 wrote:
Sometimes my own reasoning, sometimes Jesus, sometimes Buddha, and more recently Eris.

..lol

The variable unaccounted for is the best teacher there is. Both Buddha and Jesus were aware of this.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:09:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Emotions/feelings + understanding of the world = (cares for/valuations of) things

I think people who say otherwise are deluding themselves because they struggle with apathetic, pessimistic, nihilism regarding the nature of the world and that of themselves.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:13:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I describe values as "what I deem to be desirable in life".

With that in mind, my own personal struggles throughout my life have definitely taught me the most.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:14:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Music.

Music has driven my views my whole life and actually dictated how I lived and view the world. It is music that led me to research conspiracies and philosophy and it was my research of conspiracies and philosophy that led me to Buddhism.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:15:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 3:13:21 PM, annhasle wrote:
I describe values as "what I deem to be desirable in life".

With that in mind, my own personal struggles throughout my life have definitely taught me the most.

Desirable? Yeah? For me that has caused endless trouble. But i agree with the second part obviously.
jmar8542
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:16:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 3:13:21 PM, annhasle wrote:
I describe values as "what I deem to be desirable in life".

With that in mind, my own personal struggles throughout my life have definitely taught me the most.

What is currently desirable isn't always the best path to take.
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:16:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 3:14:05 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Music.

Music has driven my views my whole life and actually dictated how I lived and view the world. It is music that led me to research conspiracies and philosophy and it was my research of conspiracies and philosophy that led me to Buddhism.

You do know that views =/= values right?
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:18:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 3:15:16 PM, innomen wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:13:21 PM, annhasle wrote:
I describe values as "what I deem to be desirable in life".

With that in mind, my own personal struggles throughout my life have definitely taught me the most.

Desirable? Yeah? For me that has caused endless trouble. But i agree with the second part obviously.

It's not desirable to focus only on the short-term. My hardships have shaped my perspective so I can take into account what is truly desirable for me and what may seem to be cool at the moment.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,335
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:18:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I should clarify that my experiences in accidentally pissing people off or letting myself down have brought meaning to the things that I do value now.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:21:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 3:16:32 PM, innomen wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:14:05 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Music.

Music has driven my views my whole life and actually dictated how I lived and view the world. It is music that led me to research conspiracies and philosophy and it was my research of conspiracies and philosophy that led me to Buddhism.

You do know that views =/= values right?

But values are derived from views. Your values derive from your views on Jesus and his teachings.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:24:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 3:13:18 PM, innomen wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:11:20 PM, badger wrote:
what're values? like what i like?

What's important to you....wait.....nm.

well yeah, you got the drugs, sex and booze.. learned that i value drugs from the boys, sex from the girls, and booze from christ.. then there's how i value being feared to some degree.. obvious one.. there's money.. dunno when i started valuing that.. i was probably young.. there's having people love me.. learned that from having people love me..ammmm, dogs! learned that from my dogs.. amm, mammy first gave me most of the foods i love..

like what matt said.. nurture/nature..
signature
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:41:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 3:24:34 PM, badger wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:13:18 PM, innomen wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:11:20 PM, badger wrote:
what're values? like what i like?

What's important to you....wait.....nm.

well yeah, you got the drugs, sex and booze.. learned that i value drugs from the boys, sex from the girls, and booze from christ.. then there's how i value being feared to some degree.. obvious one.. there's money.. dunno when i started valuing that.. i was probably young.. there's having people love me.. learned that from having people love me..ammmm, dogs! learned that from my dogs.. amm, mammy first gave me most of the foods i love..

like what matt said.. nurture/nature..

Probably the most honest answer.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,335
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:45:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 3:41:07 PM, innomen wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:24:34 PM, badger wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:13:18 PM, innomen wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:11:20 PM, badger wrote:
what're values? like what i like?

What's important to you....wait.....nm.

well yeah, you got the drugs, sex and booze.. learned that i value drugs from the boys, sex from the girls, and booze from christ.. then there's how i value being feared to some degree.. obvious one.. there's money.. dunno when i started valuing that.. i was probably young.. there's having people love me.. learned that from having people love me..ammmm, dogs! learned that from my dogs.. amm, mammy first gave me most of the foods i love..

like what matt said.. nurture/nature..

Probably the most honest answer.

You LIED to us??!!!
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:53:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 3:45:12 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:41:07 PM, innomen wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:24:34 PM, badger wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:13:18 PM, innomen wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:11:20 PM, badger wrote:
what're values? like what i like?

What's important to you....wait.....nm.

well yeah, you got the drugs, sex and booze.. learned that i value drugs from the boys, sex from the girls, and booze from christ.. then there's how i value being feared to some degree.. obvious one.. there's money.. dunno when i started valuing that.. i was probably young.. there's having people love me.. learned that from having people love me..ammmm, dogs! learned that from my dogs.. amm, mammy first gave me most of the foods i love..

like what matt said.. nurture/nature..

Probably the most honest answer.

You LIED to us??!!!

no not at all. You can trust me, I'm not like the others.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:00:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 3:58:33 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I believe you great one.

Just shooting for mediocre, it's safer and more realistic.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,335
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:02:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 4:00:55 PM, innomen wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:58:33 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I believe you great one.

Just shooting for mediocre, it's safer and more realistic.

If safe was natural, no one would buy stock in band-aids.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:16:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm not sure where I get my values from. I think its my heart so to speak. I'm a lot more empathetic than people give me credit for. Because of my empathy I am able to put myself in the shoes of almost everyone, and so I stand up for most others....depends on the situation.
Like I totally understand a rapists motives, and how they feel, and how much its just instinct, and how they truly are victims of their design. I completely understand them (as much as I can without being one I guess), however, the suffering they cause is worse, so I cannot support them in the general populace.
I understand most, but I have to mentally go over cost/benefit, and if a group having free rights causes more harm, I cannot support it.
I actually even understand conservatives, but I don't agree with them at all, and think for the most part they are counter productive, cause more harm, and are a bit hypocritical.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:54:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My values come from myself. I set my own values, and then follow them.
I value self-preservation/pleasure as the highest on the list (most of the time), so I try to avoid death while also having fun.
I miss the old members.
jmar8542
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 5:01:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 4:54:28 PM, Atheism wrote:
My values come from myself. I set my own values, and then follow them.
I value self-preservation/pleasure as the highest on the list (most of the time), so I try to avoid death while also having fun.

You sound more like a LaVeyan Satanist than an Atheist. lol
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 7:20:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 5:01:21 PM, jmar8542 wrote:
At 3/1/2011 4:54:28 PM, Atheism wrote:
My values come from myself. I set my own values, and then follow them.
I value self-preservation/pleasure as the highest on the list (most of the time), so I try to avoid death while also having fun.

You sound more like a LaVeyan Satanist than an Atheist. lol

There's a difference? :P
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.