Jump to topic:

Follow up question on values

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:03:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If your pet and a stranger were drowning, or dying in some way at the same time, and you had the opportunity to save one or the other, which would you choose?
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:07:14 PM
At 3/1/2011 4:03:38 PM, innomen wrote:
If your pet and a stranger were drowning, or dying in some way at the same time, and you had the opportunity to save one or the other, which would you choose?

it'd want to be bill gates and thus not technically a stranger to me before i'd save him over my dog..
signature
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:07:19 PM
Stranger.

Nevermind that he could be some crazy killer that is trying to assassinate Flipper. I'm willing to take the risk.

I put more value on sentient life than a cat... No matter how cute and fuzzy.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:08:10 PM
Depends on which one is closest or easier to save. The quicker the response, the less trauma to the victim and the bigger the chance they will survive.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:09:26 PM
Save the stranger. According to my value system, it is not enough to tolerate the pariah, but one must embrace him as a brother.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:11:03 PM
If your pet and a stranger were drowning, or dying in some way at the same time, and you had the opportunity to save one or the other, which would you choose?:

I don't think anyone could answer that hypothetical with any measure of honesty unless being in the situation. There's also a lot of factors to consider -- the psychology of it.

Suppose it was 400 lbs man and attempting to save him would not only jeopardize your pet but also yourself.

I think it would depend on a lot of unknown variables.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:12:02 PM
At 3/1/2011 4:11:03 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
If your pet and a stranger were drowning, or dying in some way at the same time, and you had the opportunity to save one or the other, which would you choose?:

I don't think anyone could answer that hypothetical with any measure of honesty unless being in the situation. There's also a lot of factors to consider -- the psychology of it.

Suppose it was 400 lbs man and attempting to save him would not only jeopardize your pet but also yourself.

like whether or not the person looked wealthy!
signature
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:12:54 PM

You have to assume the premise is true to debate the conclusion. The premise is "you have the opportunity to save one or the other, now choose"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:14:05 PM

It was a question posed to 500 Americans and the majority chose their pet.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:14:13 PM
At 3/1/2011 4:07:19 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Stranger.

Nevermind that he could be some crazy killer that is trying to assassinate Flipper. I'm willing to take the risk.

cats are sentient...
signature
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:14:46 PM
At 3/1/2011 4:12:54 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

You have to assume the premise is true to debate the conclusion. The premise is "you have the opportunity to save one or the other, now choose"

thx
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:16:23 PM
At 3/1/2011 4:14:47 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
If it was a cute girl...I'd save the stranger. In a heartbeat ;)

when you could wait til she drowned and have sex with her dead body!? you'd lose your dog for the chance of being shot down!?

If it was some fat old guy, fück it, I love my dog.
signature
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:17:16 PM
like whether or not the person looked wealthy!:

Yes! I don't think people quite understand how powerful perceptions are. They make all the difference, and psychological tests support that.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:18:07 PM
At 3/1/2011 4:16:23 PM, badger wrote:

when you could wait til she drowned and have sex with her dead body!? you'd lose your dog for the chance of being shot down!?

If he just saved her, I doubt she'd turn him down. She was a damsel in distress and he was her White Knight. Girls love that sh!t.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:18:24 PM
At 3/1/2011 4:14:13 PM, badger wrote:
Stranger.

cats are sentient...

Cats are also hedonistic beasts who latch onto a host, and control them via a hypnotic phenomena I have dubbed, "cat waves".
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:18:54 PM
You have to assume the premise is true to debate the conclusion. The premise is "you have the opportunity to save one or the other, now choose":

In the real world people evaluate things, so I'm just trying to answer the question as honestly as I can.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:19:15 PM
It was a question posed to 500 Americans and the majority chose their pet.:

That doesn't surprise me.
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:19:27 PM
At 3/1/2011 4:17:16 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
like whether or not the person looked wealthy!:

Yes! I don't think people quite understand how powerful perceptions are. They make all the difference, and psychological tests support that.

True, but for the sake of clear answers, shouldn't we just assume that the two have equal chance of being saved and appearances/emotional connections are irrelevant?
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:19:54 PM
My pet.

Maybe the stranger has done more of value, but idk. All I know is my pet, and assuming my pet does nothing to earn negative value, I would place more value on him then a random stranger, since he has earned it more, as far as I can tell.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:20:26 PM

If it was some fat old guy, fück it, I love my dog.:

See what I mean?

Kenyon isn't alone in thinking this way. I'm telling you all now that it would depend on a lot of different factors.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:20:53 PM
At 3/1/2011 4:18:07 PM, annhasle wrote:

If he just saved her, I doubt she'd turn him down. She was a damsel in distress and he was her White Knight. Girls love that sh!t.

Not me.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:21:30 PM
At 3/1/2011 4:18:24 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 3/1/2011 4:14:13 PM, badger wrote:
Stranger.

cats are sentient...

Cats are also hedonistic beasts who latch onto a host, and control them via a hypnotic phenomena I have dubbed, "cat waves".

they're just so cute!
signature
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:22:21 PM
At 3/1/2011 4:20:53 PM, lovelife wrote:

Not me.

Why?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:23:57 PM
It is a comparison of an animal that you know versus a person you do not know. Imagine if you cannot see anything and therefore cannot perceive the stranger. Besides if you can make an assumption about the person, it would no longer be an unknown stranger.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:25:58 PM
At 3/1/2011 4:22:21 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/1/2011 4:20:53 PM, lovelife wrote:

Not me.

Why?

idk, depends on the situation, but I hate being in distress, I'd rather solve the situation myself. And most of the time "White Knights" tend to view you as weak for sooo long after. I'd rather drown. course then I know he wouldn't have known that and could have just been trying to help like a nice guy, then I'd feel so bad I'd REALLY want to die....it just causes too much mental harm on myself to need physical help, especially if I get it.
I am kinda sorry to say tho even if my life is saved I wouldn't fvck a stranger.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:26:06 PM

i suppose they probably do.. evolutionary trait? probably tied in with how they like fellas who're always fighting?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 4:26:27 PM
At 3/1/2011 4:26:06 PM, badger wrote:

i suppose they probably do.. evolutionary trait? probably tied in with how they like fellas who're always fighting?

keep 'em safe kinda thing?
signature