Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Majority of People Are Born Good?

brittcb4
Posts: 14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 9:57:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Do you believe that the majority of people are born good?

-The media is set to portray the negative in the world, the crime, the dangers, but it is rare that good people are broadcast-ed across the world. Our vision si significantly distorted. We fail to see the real world.

- Evolution. We haev evolved and we ar enot extinct. We are surviving, we haev not crumbeld yet.

- What si your definiton of good?

* the percentage of people born good over weighs people who are not born good(genetics).

--What are your thought's, arguments, premises, thesis, evidence...?
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 9:57:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Before we continue, we need to define "Good".
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
brittcb4
Posts: 14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 9:58:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 9:57:47 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Before we continue, we need to define "Good".

I completely agree, so how should we define good?
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 9:59:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is like your 247309274th thread on the topic and you've started like 3798742 debates about it... Are you writing an 80-page paper or something? lol
brittcb4
Posts: 14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 10:01:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 9:59:21 PM, nonentity wrote:
This is like your 247309274th thread on the topic and you've started like 3798742 debates about it... Are you writing an 80-page paper or something? lol

haha.. close :P
no I am doing a lot of research on this topic for a debate in the future, I have been researching for months, i want to do really well and hopefully I can strengthen my argument :)
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 10:02:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 10:01:22 PM, brittcb4 wrote:
no I am doing a lot of research on this topic for a debate in the future, I have been researching for months, i want to do really well and hopefully I can strengthen my argument :)

That's fine. Humanity has been researching it for millennia.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 10:02:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 10:01:22 PM, brittcb4 wrote:
At 3/1/2011 9:59:21 PM, nonentity wrote:
This is like your 247309274th thread on the topic and you've started like 3798742 debates about it... Are you writing an 80-page paper or something? lol

haha.. close :P
no I am doing a lot of research on this topic for a debate in the future, I have been researching for months, i want to do really well and hopefully I can strengthen my argument :)

Ohh I see. Good luck! What is your argument?
brittcb4
Posts: 14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 10:08:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 10:02:33 PM, nonentity wrote:

Ohh I see. Good luck! What is your argument?

My argument is that people are born good and my opponent is arguing that people are not born good. There are many factors I am looking into -- evolution, children, the media, philosophers views (John Locke, Mencius, Rene Descartes etc). However, i am going to argue that the majority of people are born good which I am allowed because there are in fact a few percent of people born not good. This could be due to genetics etc. But, the amount of people born good over weighs the amount of people born bad. I am also trying to do this in a non-religious point of view so I am not subjective.

--Any ideas?? It would be much appreciated. Also, after researching thsi for months, I am very intrigued and interested in this topic.

Also I am having trouble with defining what good is. Because that is the first step of course, I need a definition of "good".
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 11:19:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If people are born good, then it is hard to say that people are ever really bad.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 11:38:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Also I am having trouble with defining what good is. Because that is the first step of course, I need a definition of "good".
Good, when applied to a person, means "Intentionally and consistently commits acts that promote their life as a rational animal."

Obviously, no one can be born this way.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Posts: 1,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 12:11:10 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
There are very interesting studies that support the idea that human beings are born predominantly with natural inclinations toward cooperation, altruism, sociability, and other traits that could qualify as "good". I would recommend that you briefly read up on behavioral evolution and get an idea of what it is, and after that, try to find some interesting videos on Youtube about it.

Anything humans are born with is going to be natural, which means it likely arose out of evolutionary processes, so that's the best area to research.

Here's an educational video and a channel that posts these sorts of videos:

http://www.youtube.com...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 4:43:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
If your debating, don't state "People are born" but "majority of people are born good". The former is difficult to prove since you only need counterexample to prove one wrong. ALso make sure to come up with a clear definition of "good". Someone can easily challenge notions of "good" and "evil". A moral nihilist could easily win the debating that the concept of "good" as a moral standpoint does not exist.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ogan
Posts: 407
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 6:40:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 9:57:47 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Before we continue, we need to define "Good".

According to the Ancients, the Supreme Good is God. Utterly Perfect and unmanifest within polarised phenomena (good and evil, day and night, man and woman, etc, etc.). It was symbolised by pure Gold to mimic the Sun - an image of the Perfect, which sends forth a Radiation into phenomena which is yet untouched by the imperfections it shines upon. There is no perfect goodness or perfect evil on earth, but only imbalances of positive powers and negative conditions - hence the pain and struggle within temporary existence.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 6:44:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/2/2011 6:40:44 AM, Ogan wrote:
At 3/1/2011 9:57:47 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Before we continue, we need to define "Good".

According to the Ancients, the Supreme Good is God. Utterly Perfect and unmanifest within polarised phenomena (good and evil, day and night, man and woman, etc, etc.). It was symbolised by pure Gold to mimic the Sun - an image of the Perfect, which sends forth a Radiation into phenomena which is yet untouched by the imperfections it shines upon. There is no perfect goodness or perfect evil on earth, but only imbalances of positive powers and negative conditions - hence the pain and struggle within temporary existence.

What are you?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ogan
Posts: 407
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 7:39:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/2/2011 6:44:48 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/2/2011 6:44:04 AM, FREEDO wrote:
What are you?

Your religion/belief system.

a) What am I? The whole of Science, Religion, Art and Ethics is dealing with this question, where would you like me to begin? Where would you like me to end?

b) My religion/belief system? The human goddess Psyche was sent by Venus into the underworld, the kingdom of Pluto, to fill a box of special seeds before she could be FREE, and so are we. We must collect the missing pearls scattered into the different sciences, religions etc., and like Jason, complete the fragmented talisman.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 8:30:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/1/2011 9:57:04 PM, brittcb4 wrote:
Do you believe that the majority of people are born good?

-The media is set to portray the negative in the world, the crime, the dangers, but it is rare that good people are broadcast-ed across the world. Our vision si significantly distorted. We fail to see the real world.

- Evolution. We haev evolved and we ar enot extinct. We are surviving, we haev not crumbeld yet.

- What si your definiton of good?

* the percentage of people born good over weighs people who are not born good(genetics).

--What are your thought's, arguments, premises, thesis, evidence...?:

Good is subjective. It's people walking in to a psychologist's office and saying, "I just want a normal life." 9 out of 10 times the psychologist will tell you that there is no such thing as a normal life, only things that are generally positive and other habits tend to be self-destructive.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 7:40:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/2/2011 7:39:32 AM, Ogan wrote:
At 3/2/2011 6:44:48 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/2/2011 6:44:04 AM, FREEDO wrote:
What are you?

Your religion/belief system.

a) What am I? The whole of Science, Religion, Art and Ethics is dealing with this question, where would you like me to begin? Where would you like me to end?

b) My religion/belief system? The human goddess Psyche was sent by Venus into the underworld, the kingdom of Pluto, to fill a box of special seeds before she could be FREE, and so are we. We must collect the missing pearls scattered into the different sciences, religions etc., and like Jason, complete the fragmented talisman.

I like it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord