Jump to topic:

Basic unit of society?

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 3:23:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What should it be? An individual or a family?

Of course, you can have arguments about how a family consists of individuals, so it's the atomic unit. Or even, some individuals don't want families.

But if we take a family as a unit, the individuals within that family can decide among themselves.

Which system would be better for humanity?

I'd think the family model has some terrific advantages. Mainly that simple common values can easily be inculcated within the family unit which are really the building blocks of society.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 7:08:11 PM
At 3/2/2011 3:23:00 PM, Indophile wrote:

Of course, you can have arguments about how a family consists of individuals, so it's the atomic unit. Or even, some individuals don't want families.

But if we take a family as a unit, the individuals within that family can decide among themselves.

I'd think the family model has some terrific advantages. Mainly that simple common values can easily be inculcated within the family unit which are really the building blocks of society.:

The individual is the basic unit of society.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 7:49:34 PM
Definately the individual.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 10:20:47 AM
At 3/2/2011 7:49:34 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Definately the individual.

There seems to be a consensus that the individual is the basic unit of society. I'm also assuming that you want the individual to be the basic unit of society.

This is interesting, in that society was formed basically due to familial necessities. If every caveman had thought of himself to be the end all and be all of his existence, and the rest was just peripheral necessities, he would've just lived solitarily, banding together to hunt for food and then dispersing, like wolves for example.

However, I believe that it's because of offspring that he felt the major push to live together in a group, so that the offspring can be protected even when he is on the hunt and not there to take care of the child.

What I'm trying to get at is that the family as a unit necessitates a certain mode of thinking that an individualistic bent does not. It's pretty hard to individually pick up the qualities of tolerance, humility, sharing, etc.
And it will be true.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 10:37:57 PM

I'm going to use an analogy.

Has anyone ever played with molecular model sets? You get a whole bunch of balls with holes in them, along with pegs that fit into those holes. Using a set of black balls representing carbon and pegs that represent bonds, you can reconstruct a molecule of diamond.

The basic unit of this model is NOT a black ball. It is a black ball with pegs attached.

The basic unit of society is the individual. However, do not forget that the individual is filled with natural urges to reproduce, socially associate, and care for his/her young. This is not the same as declaring the family to be the basic unit of society.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 1:09:58 PM
At 3/3/2011 10:37:57 PM, Kleptin wrote:

I'm going to use an analogy.

Has anyone ever played with molecular model sets? You get a whole bunch of balls with holes in them, along with pegs that fit into those holes. Using a set of black balls representing carbon and pegs that represent bonds, you can reconstruct a molecule of diamond.

The basic unit of this model is NOT a black ball. It is a black ball with pegs attached.

The basic unit of society is the individual. However, do not forget that the individual is filled with natural urges to reproduce, socially associate, and care for his/her young. This is not the same as declaring the family to be the basic unit of society.

That's a good analogy.

But don't you think it's hypocritical (maybe not the correct word) to say that the individual is the basic unit of society when society was basically formed due to people not thinking of themselves as individuals only?

My line of contention is that, if each person thinks only of their individual selves, their actions and thoughts would be more in line of taking from society more than giving back to it. Why would a person with this individualistic bent of mind think about the welfare of the coming generations?
And it will be true.
thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 10:39:46 PM

I'd think the family model has some terrific advantages. Mainly that simple common values can easily be inculcated within the family unit which are really the building blocks of society.

Technically an individual, however a family has strong ties that make it almost group like, at least ideally. So family.
"Modern atheism is Richard Dawkins."- thegodhand

"Thegodhand likes to misquote people"- Benjamin Franklin