Jump to topic:

Nature V.S. Nurture

PrimoVictoria
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 4:20:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Although this is more of a psychological, sociological question I do not see a psychology or sociology section so I shall post this here.

In my sociology class we are currently having an nature V.S. nurture debate and I wish to extend it here to DDO to see you opinions upon the subject. My personal opinion is that your environment plays the most important role and your genes take the back trail.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 4:31:08 PM
It is a combination of both.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 5:08:52 PM
The way genes have wired us, our environment is the most influential. Of this I am reasonably certain.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 5:31:24 PM
At 3/3/2011 5:08:52 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
The way genes have wired us, our environment is the most influential. Of this I am reasonably certain.

Actually you can make the case that our environment (society) as we created it and as it has evolved to such a much less hostile factor in our behavior than say, 1000 years ago, suggests that genes are a dominant factor in the outcome of our behavior.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 6:33:04 PM
At 3/3/2011 5:31:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Actually you can make the case that our environment (society) as we created it and as it has evolved to such a much less hostile factor in our behavior than say, 1000 years ago, suggests that genes are a dominant factor in the outcome of our behavior.

Our genes make us very responsive to our environment.

Arguing over which has a bigger influence is almost silly, because our environment wouldn't be the bigger influence if the genes didn't wire us the way we are.

This question is almost entirely relative.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 6:37:11 PM
At 3/3/2011 4:20:23 PM, PrimoVictoria wrote:
Although this is more of a psychological, sociological question I do not see a psychology or sociology section so I shall post this here.

In my sociology class we are currently having an nature V.S. nurture debate and I wish to extend it here to DDO to see you opinions upon the subject. My personal opinion is that your environment plays the most important role and your genes take the back trail.

I would say that genes determine your starting point, while your environment acts as a constant influence throughout your life.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 6:40:22 PM
At 3/3/2011 6:33:04 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Arguing over which has a bigger influence is almost silly, because our environment wouldn't be the bigger influence if the genes didn't wire us the way we are.

I know, that's why I was using history as a relation between two points, but standing alone, you are right, there is no way you can compare the 2 since they are not independent variables.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 6:44:40 PM
At 3/3/2011 6:40:22 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I know, that's why I was using history as a relation between two points, but standing alone, you are right, there is no way you can compare the 2 since they are not independent variables.

They are like derivatives. One is an intial setup (genes) while the other is a constant force (environment). The two cannot really be directly compared. But, just like when studying graphs, the effects of lower powers (in this case genes) are more prominent at low values (i.e. young), while the effects of higher powers (environment) are more prominent at high values (i.e. old).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 8:35:32 AM
I think it really dependends on the sunject matter to be honest.

For example in the case of David Reimer we can see that nature reigns above nurture in the realm of gender identity. http://en.wikipedia.org...

But what about somethign say along the lines of political opinion? This would definately be nurture.

So yeah, like I said it depends... and stuff.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 8:59:21 AM
Spell Checked Version of Orange's Post:

To be honest, I think it really depends on the subject matter.

For example, in the case of David Reimer, nature reigns above nurture in the realm of gender identity. http://en.wikipedia.org...

What about something along the lines of political opinion? This would definitely be nurture.

It depends...
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 6:02:17 PM
At 3/10/2011 8:59:21 AM, askbob wrote:
Spell Checked Version of Orange's Post:

To be honest, I think it really depends on the subject matter.

For example, in the case of David Reimer, nature reigns above nurture in the realm of gender identity. http://en.wikipedia.org...

What about something along the lines of political opinion? This would definitely be nurture.

It depends...

was that necessary?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 7:59:04 PM
At 3/3/2011 6:44:40 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/3/2011 6:40:22 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

They are like derivatives. One is an intial setup (genes) while the other is a constant force (environment). The two cannot really be directly compared. But, just like when studying graphs, the effects of lower powers (in this case genes) are more prominent at low values (i.e. young), while the effects of higher powers (environment) are more prominent at high values (i.e. old).

its not that clear cut at all. qualities of the parents seem to have more effect on the children's personality when they are young, and as they grow older the correlation with their parents various statuses also fades. implying that how you are raised has more of an effect when you are younger then when you are older. parental influence fades over time. i suppose the difference could be attributed to environment still though, just a less constricted or easily quantified environment. random influences start to have an effect, etc.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...