Total Posts:51|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

we humanity are a small minded race of people

davidhancock
Posts: 36
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 12:59:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
we have five base needs
1 to live
2 to destroy
3 to self raise
4 to see the fall of others
5 to die
ask i will clairfy
we all derseve to die
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:06:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yeah, people are pretty fvcking stupid, and we're are really good at messing things up.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:09:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I suppose if we blow ourselves up, we had it coming.

Though, I don't see the point in being so serious about it. Learn to laugh at how stupid people are.

Nothing we do has any lasting effect, nothing we accomplish makes a huge mark in the grand scheme of things, so might as enjoy it as if it was some kind of bad sitcom with really good actors.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
TD29
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:14:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 12:59:19 PM, davidhancock wrote:
we have five base needs
1 to live
2 to destroy
3 to self raise
4 to see the fall of others
5 to die
ask i will clairfy

A very simplistic and cynical view of human nature indeed
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:21:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
To discuss this seriously, we are going to have to establish a few things.

What do you mean by need?

The word "need" is meaningless unless you state what it is you need for.

For example, I if I want to live, I need to eat. If I want to stab someone in the throat, I need someone to stab in the throat. If I want to die by volcano, there needs to be a volcano near by.

Otherwise, what you say doesn't make a lot of sense.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:26:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 1:23:23 PM, annhasle wrote:
All we want is to pursue our own self-interest.

you can't have self-interest "wants" in the first place!

You'll never get the cart to move well when you hook the horse up to it backwards :P
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:27:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 1:26:33 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:23:23 PM, annhasle wrote:
All we want is to pursue our own self-interest.

you can't have self-interest **WITHOUT** "wants" in the first place!

You'll never get the cart to move well when you hook the horse up to it backwards :P

**fix'd**
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:35:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 1:27:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:26:33 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:23:23 PM, annhasle wrote:
All we want is to pursue our own self-interest.

you can't have self-interest **WITHOUT** "wants" in the first place!

You'll never get the cart to move well when you hook the horse up to it backwards :P

**fix'd**


The human being is a creature that has want intrinsically built into it.

The most you can really do is teach yourself to not desire anything strongly enough to where it messes things up. =p

Then it hardly seems like a want at all, but it is still there.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:41:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 1:35:22 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:27:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:26:33 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:23:23 PM, annhasle wrote:
All we want is to pursue our own self-interest.

you can't have self-interest **WITHOUT** "wants" in the first place!

You'll never get the cart to move well when you hook the horse up to it backwards :P

**fix'd**



The human being is a creature that has want intrinsically built into it.

The most you can really do is teach yourself to not desire anything strongly enough to where it messes things up. =p

Then it hardly seems like a want at all, but it is still there.

The only way to be truly free of personal responsibility, is to become a slave.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:43:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 1:27:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:26:33 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:23:23 PM, annhasle wrote:
All we want is to pursue our own self-interest.

you can't have self-interest **WITHOUT** "wants" in the first place!

You'll never get the cart to move well when you hook the horse up to it backwards :P

**fix'd**


Lol, at the root of all actions -- is the pursuit of our own self interest. Many do not realize or acknowledge that and feel that their "wants" serve a higher purpose or have some kind of moral authority (such as, "I did it for _____ and not myself"). So even our wants are rooted in self-interest.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
davidhancock
Posts: 36
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:50:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
the need is the things humans do till they die it is stuped to asume self interest is the onnly part of the human want we seek to destroy we seek to survive those arnt in self interest
we all derseve to die
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:50:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 1:41:58 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
The only way to be truly free of personal responsibility, is to become a slave.

Not so. You are still responsible for every order you choose to obey.
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:51:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 12:59:19 PM, davidhancock wrote:
we have five base needs
1 to live
2 to destroy
3 to self raise
4 to see the fall of others
5 to die
ask i will clairfy

Need for what? You don't 'need' anything in a generalized, abstract sense.
TD29
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:53:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 1:43:49 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:27:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:26:33 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:23:23 PM, annhasle wrote:
All we want is to pursue our own self-interest.

you can't have self-interest **WITHOUT** "wants" in the first place!

You'll never get the cart to move well when you hook the horse up to it backwards :P

**fix'd**


Lol, at the root of all actions -- is the pursuit of our own self interest. Many do not realize or acknowledge that and feel that their "wants" serve a higher purpose or have some kind of moral authority (such as, "I did it for _____ and not myself"). So even our wants are rooted in self-interest.

True, actions do have some sort of gain out of it, but that does not make it prime motivation for the action.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:55:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 1:50:05 PM, Grape wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:41:58 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
The only way to be truly free of personal responsibility, is to become a slave.

Not so. You are still responsible for every order you choose to obey.

Then you are not a slave.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:57:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 1:53:18 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:43:49 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:27:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:26:33 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:23:23 PM, annhasle wrote:
All we want is to pursue our own self-interest.

you can't have self-interest **WITHOUT** "wants" in the first place!

You'll never get the cart to move well when you hook the horse up to it backwards :P

**fix'd**


Lol, at the root of all actions -- is the pursuit of our own self interest. Many do not realize or acknowledge that and feel that their "wants" serve a higher purpose or have some kind of moral authority (such as, "I did it for _____ and not myself"). So even our wants are rooted in self-interest.

True, actions do have some sort of gain out of it, but that does not make it prime motivation for the action.

What else could be the motivation? When was the last time you decided to go through with something that you knew would hurt you?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:04:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 12:59:19 PM, davidhancock wrote:
we have five base needs
1 to live
2 to destroy
3 to self raise
4 to see the fall of others
5 to die
ask i will clairfy

http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
TD29
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:05:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 1:57:32 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:53:18 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:43:49 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:27:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:26:33 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:23:23 PM, annhasle wrote:
All we want is to pursue our own self-interest.

you can't have self-interest **WITHOUT** "wants" in the first place!

You'll never get the cart to move well when you hook the horse up to it backwards :P

**fix'd**


Lol, at the root of all actions -- is the pursuit of our own self interest. Many do not realize or acknowledge that and feel that their "wants" serve a higher purpose or have some kind of moral authority (such as, "I did it for _____ and not myself"). So even our wants are rooted in self-interest.

True, actions do have some sort of gain out of it, but that does not make it prime motivation for the action.

What else could be the motivation? When was the last time you decided to go through with something that you knew would hurt you?

Look at a single working mom and her kids. Her job makes her tired everyday, she works overtime every other day, and she hates her job. Why would she ever do anything with that many negatives? It's because she loves her children and has made sacrifices to see her kids live better than she has.
davidhancock
Posts: 36
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:06:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
our motivation is the need to die the urge to move on in life and the want to take as many people with you as you go
we all derseve to die
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:07:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 2:05:13 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:57:32 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:53:18 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:43:49 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:27:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:26:33 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:23:23 PM, annhasle wrote:
All we want is to pursue our own self-interest.

you can't have self-interest **WITHOUT** "wants" in the first place!

You'll never get the cart to move well when you hook the horse up to it backwards :P

**fix'd**


Lol, at the root of all actions -- is the pursuit of our own self interest. Many do not realize or acknowledge that and feel that their "wants" serve a higher purpose or have some kind of moral authority (such as, "I did it for _____ and not myself"). So even our wants are rooted in self-interest.

True, actions do have some sort of gain out of it, but that does not make it prime motivation for the action.

What else could be the motivation? When was the last time you decided to go through with something that you knew would hurt you?

Look at a single working mom and her kids. Her job makes her tired everyday, she works overtime every other day, and she hates her job. Why would she ever do anything with that many negatives? It's because she loves her children and has made sacrifices to see her kids live better than she has.

Because seeing her children happy makes her happy. If she didn't feel guilt, remorse or accountable for their unhappiness, then I doubt she'd work as hard.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
TD29
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:14:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 2:07:29 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:05:13 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:57:32 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:53:18 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:43:49 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:27:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:26:33 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:23:23 PM, annhasle wrote:
All we want is to pursue our own self-interest.

you can't have self-interest **WITHOUT** "wants" in the first place!

You'll never get the cart to move well when you hook the horse up to it backwards :P

**fix'd**


Lol, at the root of all actions -- is the pursuit of our own self interest. Many do not realize or acknowledge that and feel that their "wants" serve a higher purpose or have some kind of moral authority (such as, "I did it for _____ and not myself"). So even our wants are rooted in self-interest.

True, actions do have some sort of gain out of it, but that does not make it prime motivation for the action.

What else could be the motivation? When was the last time you decided to go through with something that you knew would hurt you?

Look at a single working mom and her kids. Her job makes her tired everyday, she works overtime every other day, and she hates her job. Why would she ever do anything with that many negatives? It's because she loves her children and has made sacrifices to see her kids live better than she has.

Because seeing her children happy makes her happy. If she didn't feel guilt, remorse or accountable for their unhappiness, then I doubt she'd work as hard.

I really don't think she goes out with the mindset of "I will make my kids happy so I can be happy".
davidhancock
Posts: 36
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:16:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 2:14:15 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:07:29 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:05:13 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:57:32 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:53:18 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:43:49 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:27:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:26:33 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:23:23 PM, annhasle wrote:
All we want is to pursue our own self-interest.

you can't have self-interest **WITHOUT** "wants" in the first place!

You'll never get the cart to move well when you hook the horse up to it backwards :P

**fix'd**


Lol, at the root of all actions -- is the pursuit of our own self interest. Many do not realize or acknowledge that and feel that their "wants" serve a higher purpose or have some kind of moral authority (such as, "I did it for _____ and not myself"). So even our wants are rooted in self-interest.

True, actions do have some sort of gain out of it, but that does not make it prime motivation for the action.

What else could be the motivation? When was the last time you decided to go through with something that you knew would hurt you?

Look at a single working mom and her kids. Her job makes her tired everyday, she works overtime every other day, and she hates her job. Why would she ever do anything with that many negatives? It's because she loves her children and has made sacrifices to see her kids live better than she has.

Because seeing her children happy makes her happy. If she didn't feel guilt, remorse or accountable for their unhappiness, then I doubt she'd work as hard.

I really don't think she goes out with the mindset of "I will make my kids happy so I can be happy".

i agree with you instead she thinks i help them they will be in debt in the future subconciously of course
we all derseve to die
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:17:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 2:14:15 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:07:29 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:05:13 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:57:32 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:53:18 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:43:49 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:27:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Look at a single working mom and her kids. Her job makes her tired everyday, she works overtime every other day, and she hates her job. Why would she ever do anything with that many negatives? It's because she loves her children and has made sacrifices to see her kids live better than she has.

Because seeing her children happy makes her happy. If she didn't feel guilt, remorse or accountable for their unhappiness, then I doubt she'd work as hard.

I really don't think she goes out with the mindset of "I will make my kids happy so I can be happy".

Like I said to matt, all of our actions are rooted in the pursuit for our own self interest regardless of whether you realize or acknowledge that. We do things to make ourselves feel better.

The mom doesn't want the guilt of providing her children with a sh!tty life. She doesn't want the remorse of watching her children starve or fail school. She wants them to be happy because then she's happy.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
davidhancock
Posts: 36
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:20:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 2:17:31 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:14:15 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:07:29 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:05:13 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:57:32 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:53:18 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:43:49 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:27:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Look at a single working mom and her kids. Her job makes her tired everyday, she works overtime every other day, and she hates her job. Why would she ever do anything with that many negatives? It's because she loves her children and has made sacrifices to see her kids live better than she has.

Because seeing her children happy makes her happy. If she didn't feel guilt, remorse or accountable for their unhappiness, then I doubt she'd work as hard.

I really don't think she goes out with the mindset of "I will make my kids happy so I can be happy".

Like I said to matt, all of our actions are rooted in the pursuit for our own self interest regardless of whether you realize or acknowledge that. We do things to make ourselves feel better.

The mom doesn't want the guilt of providing her children with a sh!tty life. She doesn't want the remorse of watching her children starve or fail school. She wants them to be happy because then she's happy.

no you fool i agree with self interest but it is more dominating than you portray
we all derseve to die
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:21:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 2:20:07 PM, davidhancock wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:17:31 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:14:15 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:07:29 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:05:13 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:57:32 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:53:18 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:43:49 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:27:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Look at a single working mom and her kids. Her job makes her tired everyday, she works overtime every other day, and she hates her job. Why would she ever do anything with that many negatives? It's because she loves her children and has made sacrifices to see her kids live better than she has.

Because seeing her children happy makes her happy. If she didn't feel guilt, remorse or accountable for their unhappiness, then I doubt she'd work as hard.

I really don't think she goes out with the mindset of "I will make my kids happy so I can be happy".

Like I said to matt, all of our actions are rooted in the pursuit for our own self interest regardless of whether you realize or acknowledge that. We do things to make ourselves feel better.

The mom doesn't want the guilt of providing her children with a sh!tty life. She doesn't want the remorse of watching her children starve or fail school. She wants them to be happy because then she's happy.

no you fool i agree with self interest but it is more dominating than you portray

How am I a fool if you agree with me?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:24:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 1:43:49 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:27:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:26:33 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:23:23 PM, annhasle wrote:
All we want is to pursue our own self-interest.

you can't have self-interest **WITHOUT** "wants" in the first place!

You'll never get the cart to move well when you hook the horse up to it backwards :P

**fix'd**


Lol, at the root of all actions -- is the pursuit of our own self interest. Many do not realize or acknowledge that and feel that their "wants" serve a higher purpose or have some kind of moral authority (such as, "I did it for _____ and not myself"). So even our wants are rooted in self-interest.

A "want" is inherently personal..

"you want" or "I want"

I didn't do it because They wanted it...

I did it because I wanted to.. Even IF I did it because what I wanted was to please them.

If what I want is to please them.. If pleasing them will please me..
Then Pleasing them is in My self interest.

"self interest" is determined by your wants.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
davidhancock
Posts: 36
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:26:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 2:21:39 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:20:07 PM, davidhancock wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:17:31 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:14:15 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:07:29 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:05:13 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:57:32 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:53:18 PM, TD29 wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:43:49 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:27:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Look at a single working mom and her kids. Her job makes her tired everyday, she works overtime every other day, and she hates her job. Why would she ever do anything with that many negatives? It's because she loves her children and has made sacrifices to see her kids live better than she has.

Because seeing her children happy makes her happy. If she didn't feel guilt, remorse or accountable for their unhappiness, then I doubt she'd work as hard.

I really don't think she goes out with the mindset of "I will make my kids happy so I can be happy".

Like I said to matt, all of our actions are rooted in the pursuit for our own self interest regardless of whether you realize or acknowledge that. We do things to make ourselves feel better.

The mom doesn't want the guilt of providing her children with a sh!tty life. She doesn't want the remorse of watching her children starve or fail school. She wants them to be happy because then she's happy.

no you fool i agree with self interest but it is more dominating than you portray

How am I a fool if you agree with me?

ok her goal is to make that child in debt to her there by dominating him or her
we all derseve to die
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:38:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 2:24:32 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:43:49 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:27:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:26:33 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:23:23 PM, annhasle wrote:
All we want is to pursue our own self-interest.

you can't have self-interest **WITHOUT** "wants" in the first place!

You'll never get the cart to move well when you hook the horse up to it backwards :P

**fix'd**


Lol, at the root of all actions -- is the pursuit of our own self interest. Many do not realize or acknowledge that and feel that their "wants" serve a higher purpose or have some kind of moral authority (such as, "I did it for _____ and not myself"). So even our wants are rooted in self-interest.

A "want" is inherently personal..

"you want" or "I want"

I didn't do it because They wanted it...

I did it because I wanted to.. Even IF I did it because what I wanted was to please them.

If what I want is to please them.. If pleasing them will please me..
Then Pleasing them is in My self interest.

"self interest" is determined by your wants.

No, your wants are determined by your self-interest. I want ___ because it is beneficial to me.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.