Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:17:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/8/2011 12:16:54 PM, badger wrote:
if moral nihilism got raped, how would it feel about it?:

Indifferent.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:18:04 PM
Let us explore the Nihilist stance on abortion, should it be allowed or not allowed? Or does the nihilist have no stance on whether it is allowed or not allowed and simply doesn't care?

If a nihilist would like to answer the question, I will probe with other questions to see why you think this way.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:19:44 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:15:30 PM, OreEle wrote:
This is a thread for questions and answers regarding moral nihilism.

Awww you didn't drink that Koolaid too did you OreEle?
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:19:48 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:17:54 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Indifferent.

it's easy say it would, but do you really think it would? is moral nihilism really that twisted a dude?
signature
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:20:26 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:18:04 PM, OreEle wrote:
Let us explore the Nihilist stance on abortion, should it be allowed or not allowed? Or does the nihilist have no stance on whether it is allowed or not allowed and simply doesn't care?

If a nihilist would like to answer the question, I will probe with other questions to see why you think this way.

Never mind.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:21:21 PM
I am Pro abortion. Since there is no legitimate reason why I should be able to dictate the procedures for another woman, then the ability to choose falls upon her.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:23:07 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:21:21 PM, annhasle wrote:
I am Pro abortion. Since there is no legitimate reason why I should be able to dictate the procedures for another woman, then the ability to choose falls upon her.

You can hold that position and still be against abortion. I'm against hard core drug use, but i don't believe there should be laws against it. The greater good going toward freedom.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:23:45 PM
Refutation of Moral Nihilism

1. A rational entity strives to maximize utility without infringing upon the rights of others.
2. Therefore a rational society strives to maximize utility without infringing upon the rights of others.
3. Therefore as a society we should enact policies that maximize utility infringing upon the rights of others.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:24:29 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:23:07 PM, innomen wrote:

You can hold that position and still be against abortion. I'm against hard core drug use, but i don't believe there should be laws against it. The greater good going toward freedom.

Yes, but on what premise would I be against abortion?
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:25:25 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:23:45 PM, askbob wrote:

1. A rational entity strives to maximize utility without infringing upon the rights of others.
2. Therefore a rational society strives to maximize utility without infringing upon the rights of others.
3. Therefore as a society we should enact policies that maximize utility infringing upon the rights of others.

Lol, you do not need morals to dictate how a society will be run.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:25:29 PM

why shouldn't you, or the government for that matter, dictate such procedures?

Also, I'd like to point out the definition of legitimate - "•in accordance with recognized or accepted standards or principles"
http://www.google.com...

What are the "recognized or accepted standards or principles?"
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:25:38 PM

I am Con abortion. Since there is no legitimate reason why others should be able to dictate the life and choices of a child, then the ability to choose life or death falls upon the child.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:26:25 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:19:48 PM, badger wrote:
At 3/8/2011 12:17:54 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Indifferent.

it's easy say it would, but do you really think it would? is moral nihilism really that twisted a dude?

i talk awful sillyness sometimes.. but i suppose it can't all be genius..
signature
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:26:44 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:25:25 PM, annhasle wrote:

Call it morals or call it a preference for utilitarianism that doesn't infringe upon the rights of others. The end results and beliefs are the same.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:27:21 PM

you need some kind of "compass" to dictate what are "right" actions and what are "wrong" actions.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:28:45 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:24:29 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/8/2011 12:23:07 PM, innomen wrote:

Yes, but on what premise would I be against abortion?

Well, if human life holds no value to you, then you would be indifferent to abortion rather than "pro abortion". My only point was that one does not cancel out the other in values, but rather can coexist.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:30:03 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:27:21 PM, OreEle wrote:

you need some kind of "compass" to dictate what are "right" actions and what are "wrong" actions.

Values
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:30:49 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:25:29 PM, OreEle wrote:

Also, I'd like to point out the definition of legitimate - "•in accordance with recognized or accepted standards or principles"

The ability to choose what actions I want to follow through on are limited to me only. It is my interest and therefore my exclusive "right" as some might say. This is called independence, freedom of thought and expression, the right to choose and the ability to maximize my own utility. This is not an inherent right but it is granted within our society for functionality. On that premise alone, I cannot see any logical justification for strangers dictating the actions of mothers.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:31:51 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:26:44 PM, askbob wrote:

Call it morals or call it a preference for utilitarianism that doesn't infringe upon the rights of others. The end results and beliefs are the same.

If the end results are the same but I choose to follow through on a different line of thinking which avoids morality -- where is the problem?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:32:26 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:30:03 PM, innomen wrote:

Values

And how ae values different from morals?

http://www.differencebetween.net...

From what I can find, there is little difference, except from where they originate from.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:34:07 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:30:49 PM, annhasle wrote:

The ability to choose what actions I want to follow through on are limited to me only. It is my interest and therefore my exclusive "right" as some might say. This is called independence, freedom of thought and expression, the right to choose and the ability to maximize my own utility. This is not an inherent right but it is granted within our society for functionality. On that premise alone, I cannot see any logical justification for strangers dictating the actions of mothers.

If you value the life of the child as an individual, then you might be able to justify dictating the actions of mothers.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:35:06 PM

And why should independence, freedom of thought and expression, the right to choose and the ability to maximize your own utility be valued?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:35:16 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:32:26 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/8/2011 12:30:03 PM, innomen wrote:

Values

And how ae values different from morals?

http://www.differencebetween.net...

From what I can find, there is little difference, except from where they originate from.

I'm agreeing with you. Sometimes the word values is easier to swallow than morals.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:35:28 PM

way off..

signature
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:35:54 PM

Not at all. I can hypothesize on what the consequences of my actions will be and then choose accordingly.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:37:16 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:35:06 PM, OreEle wrote:

And why should independence, freedom of thought and expression, the right to choose and the ability to maximize your own utility be valued?

Well, they are only valued when living within a society which hopes to remain in order while still being prosperous. This is the reason I have chosen anarchy.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:38:51 PM

1. A rational entity strives to maximize **Personal** utility
^clarification^
without infringing upon the rights of others.
No. it depends on whether interfering with them seems as though it will increase or decreas said, Personal, utility.

ummm.... I do what I want.

anyone who doesn't isn't "rational"... they're deluded.

There's certainly limits to my ability... and being that I must work with others to accomplish certain things... I accept that it might be best to come up with a stable system where I submit myself to the rules and process I would implement on them... Though I would have a Constitution which BETTER protects MY Particular ideals.. and if I had enough power I wouldn't, Ideally, wouldn't even need such a crutch as Shared decisionmaking.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:41:02 PM
At 3/8/2011 12:35:54 PM, annhasle wrote:

Not at all. I can hypothesize on what the consequences of my actions will be and then choose accordingly.

But why should you care about the consequences? If one option yields in killing 100 people, so what? If another option yields in $300,000,000 in damages, who cares? If the last option yields in you having a broken finger nail, big deal?

Logic can tell you the outcomes of different options, but it cannot tell you which option to take.