Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Hedonism or Asceticism

socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:21:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Just bored and posting a random topic. Take your pick.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:28:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
They don't necessarily conflict.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:33:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 6:28:00 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
They don't necessarily conflict.

They are opposites.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:38:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 6:33:12 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/14/2011 6:28:00 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
They don't necessarily conflict.

They are opposites.

Only on the surface.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 11:50:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 7:17:55 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Moderation.

i hate it when i agree with freedo >.<

also the only way they don't conflict is if you mangle the meaning of both words :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 1:51:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 11:50:01 PM, belle wrote:
At 3/14/2011 7:17:55 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Moderation.

i hate it when i agree with freedo >.<

also the only way they don't conflict is if you mangle the meaning of both words :P

shhhhhh
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 2:03:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 6:28:00 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
They don't necessarily conflict.

Meh extreme cases of null desire or inability to experience pleasure perhaps. Not exactly compelling though.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 7:32:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 7:17:55 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Moderation.

Moderation for moderation's sake doesn't make sense...

Rather.. I think you mean one desire moderating another..

which would simply be sensible, Normal, actual "hedonism"... instead of the caricature of it.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 8:21:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/15/2011 7:32:46 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/14/2011 7:17:55 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Moderation.

Moderation for moderation's sake doesn't make sense...

Indeed; golden mean fallacy.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 1:22:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/15/2011 7:32:46 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/14/2011 7:17:55 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Moderation.

Moderation for moderation's sake doesn't make sense...

Rather.. I think you mean one desire moderating another..

which would simply be sensible, Normal, actual "hedonism"... instead of the caricature of it.

Epicureanism.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 11:25:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/15/2011 1:22:16 PM, innomen wrote:
Epicureanism.

My wiki-reading abilities lead me to say that hedonism, practiced efficiently, need not abide by the restrictions of epicureanism in terms of satisfying bodily pleasures.

I would argue that asceticism is simply a form of hedonism in which the individual derives or believes he will derive greater pleasure from some activities as opposed to others.

Let's be honest here. 99% of people who subscribe to a philosophy with an actual label don't do so because the label fits their beliefs. They do so because their philosophies resemble the label slightly and they rearrange their beliefs to fit into the category snugly because they like the sense of belonging. Calling yourself an ascetic is just another form of describing what you take pleasure in doing with your time.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 6:06:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/17/2011 11:25:37 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 3/15/2011 1:22:16 PM, innomen wrote:
Epicureanism.

My wiki-reading abilities lead me to say that hedonism, practiced efficiently, need not abide by the restrictions of epicureanism in terms of satisfying bodily pleasures.

I would argue that asceticism is simply a form of hedonism in which the individual derives or believes he will derive greater pleasure from some activities as opposed to others.

Let's be honest here. 99% of people who subscribe to a philosophy with an actual label don't do so because the label fits their beliefs. They do so because their philosophies resemble the label slightly and they rearrange their beliefs to fit into the category snugly because they like the sense of belonging. Calling yourself an ascetic is just another form of describing what you take pleasure in doing with your time.

Kleptin gets what I am saying.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp