Jump to topic:

Philosophers? Don't Feed The Bastards!

racist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 1:10:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Philosophy is a bit like croquet or stamp collection. It's ok for those doing it, but boring as parrot poop to those being inflicted with it. Ask almost anyone what a philosopher 'does for a living' and a long, wide blank space opens on their faces. Then the big shrug. "Work?" If every philosophy chair in every university in the country was replaced with a chair of Karaoke or kite-making, the only observable difference would be a higher degree of entertainment and a significant lessening of pomposity. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for people having a hobby. But not at taxpayers' expense. To pay philosophers for warming a university chair is like hiring people to be gas lamp lighters, shepherds, or storytellers. It just keeps bureaucrats busy. This questionable 'discipline' was spawned in the mists of history among the vapid and corrupt academic elite of Europe who simply invented cushy 'positions' for their equally unspeakable cronies in church & state and had a great bludge at the public trough. But heavens, enough is enough. Philosophy can hardly be called 'work'. You don't see them in butcher shops dispensing platitudes with the pork portions, or solving the riddle of earth orientation in the sewage system. If these upper crust parasites actually did something useful, they might find their mental and physical health could lead to activities that actually contribute to the social treasury rather than plundering it. Fold up those ancient manuscripts, fellas. Time to call it a day. Let real people get paid for real things for a change. No hard feelings, it was good whilst the chalice was overflowing, but these are trying times. Time to pitch in and do your bit. Resign gracefully and confess your freeloading sins. Purge your guilt. The Welfare ffice can probably find you something at the back of Wallmart, away from the customers. Cheers.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 1:49:08 AM
yer racist1
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 2:16:17 AM
You realize that you're arguing with premises from political philosophy correct?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
eball45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 2:10:36 PM
Do you understand what a PHD stands for?
It means you have a docterate in the philosophy of..... any subject taught at a university. Yes, every single subject is philosophy. You are basically saying, "I hate knowledge."
Every form of government is a political philosophy. Laws are based off of philosophy.
As for the college degree of philosophy, most are pre-law. Further, the national statistics show philosophy majors score highest on the G.R.E, the test taken to get into graduate school.
Paradoxically, your thoughts on philosophy is your philosophy of philosophy.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 4:11:11 PM
I think most of people responding are having slight sense of humour malfunctions. Atleast I hope they are... because if this is serious...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 4:46:25 PM
Philosophy is mental masturbation.

Masturbation is very useful.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
racist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 7:43:28 PM
At 3/15/2011 2:10:36 PM, eball45 wrote:
It means you have a docterate in the philosophy of..... any subject taught at a university. Yes, every single subject is philosophy. You are basically saying, "I hate knowledge."
Every form of government is a political philosophy. Laws are based off of philosophy.
As for the college degree of philosophy, most are pre-law. Further, the national statistics show philosophy majors score highest on the G.R.E, the test taken to get into graduate school.

Yes, I appreciate all you've said. There is still the fulcrum of the question. I know many people who make amazing model boats and warships - as a HOBBY. They don't get paid for it. There are those who collect stamps and even spend ours on debating forums. They don't get paid.What do philosophers actually do that they couldn't accomplish as their pet HOBBY? What are they actually getting paid for? I'm ok if they want to indulge in anything I personally don't get. But why should a miner or a cop pay for the thought police?
racist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 7:46:37 PM
At 3/15/2011 2:16:17 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
You realize that you're arguing with premises from political philosophy correct?

OK,Ok- my pants are down, now what? Be gentle! Cheers!
racist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 7:48:02 PM
At 3/15/2011 4:46:25 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Try getting paid for it! You'd have to be a journalist or a lawyer. Cheers!
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 7:53:25 PM
At 3/15/2011 7:48:02 PM, racist wrote:
At 3/15/2011 4:46:25 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Try getting paid for it!

Not to infringe on the ToS but people DO get paid for that.
eball45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 8:02:34 PM
At 3/15/2011 7:43:28 PM, racist wrote:

Yes, I appreciate all you've said. There is still the fulcrum of the question. I know many people who make amazing model boats and warships - as a HOBBY. They don't get paid for it. There are those who collect stamps and even spend ours on debating forums. They don't get paid.What do philosophers actually do that they couldn't accomplish as their pet HOBBY? What are they actually getting paid for? I'm ok if they want to indulge in anything I personally don't get. But why should a miner or a cop pay for the thought police?

Physicists, doctors, biologists, accountants, Psychologists, etc......

Science is philosophy. It began with Aristotle, a great philosopher.
Our democracy was heavily influenced by the political philosophy of John Locke.
Every sort of reasoning is philosophy.

Again, philosophy majors are typically pre-law. If not, they write books, get jobs in general fields like business, or teach philosophy.

lol... your killin me
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 8:13:32 PM
At 3/15/2011 1:10:02 AM, racist wrote:
Philosophy is a bit like croquet or stamp collection. It's ok for those doing it, but boring as parrot poop to those being inflicted with it. Ask almost anyone what a philosopher 'does for a living' and a long, wide blank space opens on their faces. Then the big shrug. "Work?" If every philosophy chair in every university in the country was replaced with a chair of Karaoke or kite-making, the only observable difference would be a higher degree of entertainment and a significant lessening of pomposity. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for people having a hobby. But not at taxpayers' expense. To pay philosophers for warming a university chair is like hiring people to be gas lamp lighters, shepherds, or storytellers. It just keeps bureaucrats busy. This questionable 'discipline' was spawned in the mists of history among the vapid and corrupt academic elite of Europe who simply invented cushy 'positions' for their equally unspeakable cronies in church & state and had a great bludge at the public trough. But heavens, enough is enough. Philosophy can hardly be called 'work'. You don't see them in butcher shops dispensing platitudes with the pork portions, or solving the riddle of earth orientation in the sewage system. If these upper crust parasites actually did something useful, they might find their mental and physical health could lead to activities that actually contribute to the social treasury rather than plundering it. Fold up those ancient manuscripts, fellas. Time to call it a day. Let real people get paid for real things for a change. No hard feelings, it was good whilst the chalice was overflowing, but these are trying times. Time to pitch in and do your bit. Resign gracefully and confess your freeloading sins. Purge your guilt. The Welfare ffice can probably find you something at the back of Wallmart, away from the customers. Cheers.

Seems like a classic example of anti-intellectualism.

Anti-intellectualism- Hostility towards and mistrust of intellect, intellectuals, and intellectual pursuits, usually expressed as the derision of education, philosophy, literature, art, and science, as impractical and contemptible.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
racist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 9:24:52 PM
At 3/15/2011 8:02:34 PM, eball45 wrote:
At 3/15/2011 7:43:28 PM, racist wrote:

Again, philosophy majors are typically pre-law. If not, they write books, get jobs in general fields like business, or teach philosophy.

lol... your killin me

No, I don't want to kill you, I want to barbecue you – slowly. Among all the fancy double shuffling, show me an income tax return or a payslip or some accounts record where it actually records that you got paid as a real life practising PHILOSOPHER. Not a lawyer, or economist or aero-dynamicist, but a Philosopher. If you could include a time sheet of what you actually did for the money, would be greatly appreciated.
racist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 9:27:14 PM
At 3/15/2011 4:11:11 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I think most of people responding are having slight sense of humour malfunctions. Atleast I hope they are... because if this is serious...

Jeez, mate- congrats! You actually got it!.Well done. Cheers!What relief for the funny bone transplant.
racist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 9:31:13 PM
At 3/15/2011 8:13:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/15/2011 1:10:02 AM, racist wrote:

Seems like a classic example of anti-intellectualism.

Anti-intellectualism- Hostility towards and mistrust of intellect, intellectuals, and intellectual pursuits, usually expressed as the derision of education, philosophy, literature, art, and science, as impractical and contemptible.

Nah! just a bit of horseplay with those who think the planet revolves around them. Cheers!
racist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 9:33:33 PM
At 3/15/2011 7:50:06 PM, annhasle wrote:
LMAO @ this whole thread

Duh! - I've no idea what LMAO means - Leave Me Alone Origami? No? Cheers!
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 9:36:56 PM
At 3/15/2011 9:33:33 PM, racist wrote:
LMAO @ this whole thread

LMAO = Laughing My @ss Off

And why am I laughing? This is so absurd~ :D
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 9:38:51 PM
yur racist
racist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 9:40:49 PM
At 3/15/2011 9:36:56 PM, annhasle wrote:
LMAO @ this whole thread

You think this is absurd, wait'll you see what I've got for the coal miners and the taxidermists - your eyes will glaze over and start watering, guaranteed. Cheers!
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 9:49:34 PM
At 3/15/2011 9:40:49 PM, racist wrote:
At 3/15/2011 9:36:56 PM, annhasle wrote:
LMAO @ this whole thread

You think this is absurd, wait'll you see what I've got for the coal miners and the taxidermists - your eyes will glaze over and start watering, guaranteed. Cheers!

Wait, why am I supposed to cry?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 10:50:07 PM
At 3/15/2011 9:31:13 PM, racist wrote:

Nah! just a bit of horseplay with those who think the planet revolves around them. Cheers!

If I go to live at the North Pole the planet does revolve around me, so jokes on you! Now where did I put my coat...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 2:35:16 AM
At 3/15/2011 10:50:07 PM, Grape wrote:

If I go to live at the North Pole the planet does revolve around me

Technical distinction 1: It would be, at best, under you not around you.

Technical distinction 2: It would be a rotation, not a revolution.

P
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 2:38:32 AM
At 3/16/2011 2:35:16 AM, Puck wrote:
At 3/15/2011 10:50:07 PM, Grape wrote:

If I go to live at the North Pole the planet does revolve around me

Technical distinction 1: It would be, at best, under you not around you.

Technical distinction 2: It would be a rotation, not a revolution.

P

Haha Puck; you tried to be clever but your smiley failed!
Here, borrow my hat...
=|;)
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 2:39:55 AM
At 3/16/2011 2:38:32 AM, tvellalott wrote:

Or mebbe I knew all along...

Yeah think on that.

)
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 4:40:23 AM
At 3/16/2011 2:39:55 AM, Puck wrote:

Yeah think on that.

)

Touche sir.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 5:03:16 AM
At 3/16/2011 2:39:55 AM, Puck wrote:

Yeah think on that.

)

Cyclops from X-Men?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat