Jump to topic:

Absurdism

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 4:38:10 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So tell me, what is Absurdism in your own words?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 4:44:30 AM
At 3/19/2011 4:38:10 AM, tvellalott wrote:
So tell me, what is Absurdism in your own words?

Absurdism means coming to grips with The Absurd, which is that the pursuit for meaning is ultimately futile.

Søren Kierkegaard discerned that there were three choices to be made once one comes to the realization of The Absurd, that the pursuit of meaning futile.

1. Escape The Absurd by committing suicide, which indeed may not even be the end.

2. Escape The by taking "The Leap of Faith".

and 3. To embrace The Absurd, which many equate with insanity.

Soren chose number two and became a Christian Existentionalist. He is my favorite Christian figure besides Jesus.

I chose number 3.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 4:48:03 AM
I suppose I've taken number two and become a moral and existential nihilist. :P

Number 3 sounds fun. Don't start finding inherent meaning in Beatles songs and murdering unborn babys though, k?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 4:51:40 AM
At 3/19/2011 4:48:03 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I suppose I've taken number two and become a moral and existential nihilist. :P

Number 3 sounds fun. Don't start finding inherent meaning in Beatles songs and murdering unborn babys though, k?

I'm not promising anything.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 6:07:10 AM
i'd say everyone with faith who's actually thought about has so because they went with number 2 though. like pcp. and my poor ole granny.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 6:21:24 AM
she's completely deluded herself though. it's crazy. like she prays so much it's unreal. and she's always on about heaven. and if anyone makes an argument against god, jesus, mary and that lot, she won't argue "her" belief.. but you can see her get distressed. she'll go off into her own head, thinking about things, just looking upset.. and then she'll be praying for you again the next time you meet her. she's getting fairly old at this stage. i'd say your faith's the kinda thing that can fvck with you in your old age.. like i'd a fairly christian uncle too (i'm sure he was christian? he was a philosopher kinda dude.. very religious i'm sure, and intelligent probably..) and he died of cancer.. spent probably the last 3 or 4 months in a bed. what must he have been thinking? it surely played on him wouldn't you think? like i'm not expecting anymore than what's on my plate. and i'm happy. deluding pretty much is distressing yourself.. though you could take drugs with it.. that wouldn't be too bad.. and my uncle i'm fairly sure didn't get drugged up for the pain.. i'll have to ask. that just popped into my head there. fairly interesting lol
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 6:23:28 AM
i used talk to god a whole load when i used believe but at least i hadn't deluded myself. everybody else had deluded me. now i just talk to myself lol
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 6:27:59 AM
and then i think there are just some people who are too retarded to be broken from the delusions they've been placed in. but the thought that their belief is contested would play on them too. religion's a cancer. people should live in this life.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 6:29:41 AM
At 3/19/2011 6:27:59 AM, badger wrote:
and then i think there are just some people who are too retarded to be broken from the delusions they've been placed in. but the thought that their belief is contested would play on them too. religion's a cancer. people should live in this life.

well you'd have the blissfully retarded too surely. godsands doesn't seem like one of them the poor fella.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 6:37:12 AM
At 3/19/2011 6:28:55 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Sometimes The Absurd can be found at the bottom of a liquor bottle.

what do you know about the bottom of liquor bottles freedo?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 6:38:52 AM
At 3/19/2011 6:37:12 AM, badger wrote:

i know nothing lol.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 6:39:35 AM
At 3/19/2011 6:38:52 AM, badger wrote:
At 3/19/2011 6:37:12 AM, badger wrote:

i know nothing lol.

i've see what they look like before they're empty.
signature
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 8:25:03 AM
This is your current philosophical fad eh? Mind giving me reasons why I should accept the conclusion of absurdism, or was that lost somewhere in the process...
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 8:44:07 AM
At 3/19/2011 8:25:03 AM, TheSkeptic wrote:
This is your current philosophical fad eh? Mind giving me reasons why I should accept the conclusion of absurdism, or was that lost somewhere in the process...

do you think you'll ever hear, or will even ever be heard, an explanation for what the fvck is going on that makes sense on any level? i'd say everything is a product of complete and utter randomness. why not?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 8:50:53 AM
At 3/19/2011 8:46:57 AM, badger wrote:
At 3/19/2011 8:45:16 AM, badger wrote:
god exists.

it just doesn't give a fvck about you.

well it's random lol
signature
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 10:42:36 AM
Absurdism is the acceptance of human limitations. It is the acknowledgement that the world we live in is fuggin weird, yo. Any attempt for us to find meaning in life or anything is impossible, and thus absurd.

The absurd is very real, embracing it is not insanity by any means, if anything, it is the most sane thing you can embrace. It is about integrity, it is about being as real and honest with yourself as possible.

Anything meaning you give to your own life is secondary to acknowledgement of the absurd.. You do not take anything too seriously, nearly everything you do is with your tongue planted in your cheek. If you understand what the absurd is, you pretty much have to have a good sense of humor, because understanding the absurd is integral to getting the big cosmic joke.

If you look at things from an absurdist perspective, things make a LOT more sense, oddly enough.

The only people who really have a problem embracing the absurd are egotists. Egotists are the only ones who would have cognitive dissonance when confronted with the absurd. Egotists by definition take themselves too seriously, and their seriousness has made them arrogant, and blinded them to the obvious.

It is hard to describe such an unpretentious philosophy without sounding pretentious. XP
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 1:15:38 PM
At 3/19/2011 10:42:36 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Absurdism is the acceptance of human limitations. It is the acknowledgement that the world we live in is fuggin weird, yo. Any attempt for us to find meaning in life or anything is impossible, and thus absurd.

The absurd is very real, embracing it is not insanity by any means, if anything, it is the most sane thing you can embrace. It is about integrity, it is about being as real and honest with yourself as possible.

Anything meaning you give to your own life is secondary to acknowledgement of the absurd.. You do not take anything too seriously, nearly everything you do is with your tongue planted in your cheek. If you understand what the absurd is, you pretty much have to have a good sense of humor, because understanding the absurd is integral to getting the big cosmic joke.

If you look at things from an absurdist perspective, things make a LOT more sense, oddly enough.

The only people who really have a problem embracing the absurd are egotists. Egotists are the only ones who would have cognitive dissonance when confronted with the absurd. Egotists by definition take themselves too seriously, and their seriousness has made them arrogant, and blinded them to the obvious.

It is hard to describe such an unpretentious philosophy without sounding pretentious. XP

spot on cosmic

The third choice is the only one that works for me. #1 means the end of my life, while it is pointless it is still very fun. #2 Means being in ignorant bliss, #3 means embracing the lack of truth, which does not scare me. A number of people I have explained absurdism too freaked out and asked how my life could be so bleak. There are two types of people on the earth, people who reject and ignore at things that challenge the status quo, and people who are completely compatible with it.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 3:21:53 PM
I'm surprised at the negative reaction that absurdism received in the egoism topic. I don't know how you couldn't see it as a valid and rational philosophy.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp