Essay Help

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 10:47:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I swear I wouldn't do this if I wasn't super stressed :(

Can someone please explain why men rape from the Platonic view? I've already explained from several other views and I'm fine with those other views... I just can't seem to tie it in with Plato.

So far all I have for Plato is:
-appetite/spirit/reason
--> their reason is not controlling their appetite

And I'm not even sure how true that is. Can someone please point me in the right direction? The rest of the essay is fine but I'm stuck on this and it's due tomorrow :(
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 10:54:25 PM
Men rape because geometrically perfect forms are the fundamental reality behind the universe, and Plato had to be born in order for us to find this out, and in order for Plato to be born his father Ariston had to rape his mother Perictione, because Perictione wasn't willing. Perictione, you see, wanted to do her uncle instead. And that wouldn't have produced Plato.

(Perictione later married her uncle after three children by way of the forced marriage with Ariston, because Ariston died. That's fine, since Plato was already born, it didn't matter if further children of Perictione were retard babies).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 10:57:15 PM
At 3/29/2011 10:47:16 PM, nonentity wrote:

Can someone please explain why men rape from the Platonic view? I've already explained from several other views and I'm fine with those other views... I just can't seem to tie it in with Plato.

-appetite/spirit/reason

And I'm not even sure how true that is. Can someone please point me in the right direction? The rest of the essay is fine but I'm stuck on this and it's due tomorrow :(

Don't be obsessed with tying it to Plato. Not everything can be logically and accurately traced to him.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 11:01:55 PM
At 3/29/2011 10:57:15 PM, OreEle wrote:

-appetite/spirit/reason

Don't be obsessed with tying it to Plato. Not everything can be logically and accurately traced to him.

Not my choice, it's part of the essay question and we have to answer every part.
awatkins69
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 2:57:41 AM

-appetite/spirit/reason

Plato thinks that people rape because it is the best thing as far as they've considered it in the situation. Remember, for Plato, people *always* do what they think is best. If someone saw something and thought it was bad they would not do it, at least according to Plato. So the reason why somebody might rape on the platonic view is because they think at the time it's a good thing to do. It's a failure on the part of their reasoning. Their faulty reasoning leads them to think reasoning is good, and so they act on it.

Of course, I don't think Plato is quite right. But that's his view. You can read more about it in the dialogue Protagoras where he says "No one goes willingly toward the bad." Hope that's at least somewhat helpful and I'll try to explain more if need be.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 8:07:12 AM
At 3/30/2011 1:33:31 AM, Puck wrote:
Also:
Sex from Plato to Paglia: a philosophical encyclopedia, Volume 2 p805 onwards.

Google books has it.

Puck and awatkins69--Thank you!
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 8:11:04 AM
At 3/30/2011 2:57:41 AM, awatkins69 wrote:

-appetite/spirit/reason

Plato thinks that people rape because it is the best thing as far as they've considered it in the situation. Remember, for Plato, people *always* do what they think is best. If someone saw something and thought it was bad they would not do it, at least according to Plato. So the reason why somebody might rape on the platonic view is because they think at the time it's a good thing to do. It's a failure on the part of their reasoning. Their faulty reasoning leads them to think reasoning is good, and so they act on it.

I thought this was more Socrates but I'll look further into it.

Of course, I don't think Plato is quite right. But that's his view. You can read more about it in the dialogue Protagoras where he says "No one goes willingly toward the bad." Hope that's at least somewhat helpful and I'll try to explain more if need be.

I'll check that out, thanks.