Jump to topic:

So I finally found a real nihilist

Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 5:32:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If none of you have heard of Mitchell Heisman - you should.

On Sept. 18, Mitchell Heisman blew his brains out with a revolver on the steps of Harvard Memorial Church in front of a tour group of 30 people. He left a 1904 page book titled "Suicide Note" that he emailed to 400 people a few hours before his end.

Quoting Robert Lutener:

"Suicide Note is a masterpiece of modern philosophy and a brilliant application of socio-biological theory to politics. I have read 400 pages of it so far, and have been unable to put it down.

The book is a magnificently written, unbelievably well researched, poignant and thought-provoking work that confirms that philosophy is still alive in the 21st century. Chapters of the book have intriguing titles like "God is Technology" and "The Seditious Genius of the Spiritual Penis of Jesus."

I do not agree with his final thesis regarding the embrace of nihilism and the rejection of hope. However, the work contains what is probably the most brilliant synthesis of the technological singularity theory, a scathing critique of modern liberalism, and what is probably the most original theory regarding the roots of the American Civil War.

Written in a mood that ranges from the sardonic to the whimsical, the spirit and personality of the author, made inscrutable by the fashion in which he publicized the work, shines through on every page.

One must admire his sense of humor when he writes: "It is highly unlikely that I will have the opportunity to defend this work." As a work of modern philosophy, its importance and value should not be understated. Yet the book has, as the author predicted, been repressed. Not by the censor of the mainstream media, but by that supposed paragon of liberal exercise, Wikipedia.

Interestingly enough, Heisman's story confirms Friedrich Nietchze's prediction that at some time in the future, a philosophy of nihilism would come about which would be required before what Nietchze called the "Revaluation of All Values.""

Here is a link to Suicide Note: http://www.scribd.com...
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 5:36:35 PM
Just making sure that ya'll remember that Nietzsche was an outspoken critic of nihilism ;) But thought that it would bring about a revaluation of our values - as the reporter so nicely states.

I've been reading it, and the book is extremely interesting so far....
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 5:37:19 PM
i mean this in the nicest possible way, but LOL @ your vendetta against nihilism. can't you be a nihilist about one thing without being one about everything?

also that guy is just all kinds of crazy. i couldn't even get through his table of contents lmao
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 5:39:44 PM
At 4/8/2011 5:37:19 PM, belle wrote:
i mean this in the nicest possible way, but LOL @ your vendetta against nihilism. can't you be a nihilist about one thing without being one about everything?

also that guy is just all kinds of crazy. i couldn't even get through his table of contents lmao

wow ok
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 5:44:09 PM
Sorry I'm just really stunned at how ignorant you are.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 5:50:51 PM
At 4/8/2011 5:44:09 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

which part, because i think the word nihilism can be used in a limited fashion or because i think section titles such as "the seditious genius of the spiritual penis of jesus" are crazy and that a 5 page melodramatic table of contents probably means a lot of rambling later on?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 5:51:35 PM
i guess i am not judging the work on its merits though. so the man is right. i am a cog in a machine.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 5:53:24 PM
At 4/8/2011 5:37:19 PM, belle wrote:

everyone is a nihilist is some aspect, but that doesn't make them a "nihilist."

Also, if you don't put a qualifier in front of a word, you imply all aspects.

For example, if I say, "I'm a libertarian" that implies that I'm libertarian socially, economically, for foriegn policy, and what not. Not that I'm a libertarian for only 1 aspect of it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 5:54:44 PM
At least he didn't chump killing himself. Failing a suicide attempt is like failing at failing.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 5:59:08 PM
I'm thinking of reading it, though I might shot myself. I can't stand philosophical masterbastion.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 5:59:48 PM
At 4/8/2011 5:56:26 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 4/8/2011 5:55:02 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I will read it and get back to you on my thoughts.

See you in 1900 pages. :P

how could you write 1900 pages on nihilism?
signature
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 6:01:52 PM
At 4/8/2011 5:50:51 PM, belle wrote:
At 4/8/2011 5:44:09 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

which part, because i think the word nihilism can be used in a limited fashion or because i think section titles such as "the seditious genius of the spiritual penis of jesus" are crazy and that a 5 page melodramatic table of contents probably means a lot of rambling later on?:

I'm debating whether I want to actually print this is out and potentially waste precious ink. One thing seems fairly certain... The suicide (if it actually happened) is a publicity stunt to drum up support for the "suicide note."
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 6:04:20 PM
At 4/8/2011 5:54:44 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At least he didn't chump killing himself. Failing a suicide attempt is like failing at failing.:

I've pulled a man off of a helicopter who blew off half of his face with a shotgun. How do you f*ck up a suicide with a shotgun, point-blank???
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 6:05:34 PM
i would also note that the first section is little more than a rhetorical technique to make people who find themselves disagreeing with him feel like they must be tools of society and thereby quell their disagreement in pursuit of "openmindedness". jus sayin...
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 6:05:41 PM
At 4/8/2011 6:04:20 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At least he didn't chump killing himself. Failing a suicide attempt is like failing at failing.:

I've pulled a man off of a helicopter who blew off half of his face with a shotgun. How do you f*ck up a suicide with a shotgun, point-blank???

pussied out last second?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 6:08:31 PM
At 4/8/2011 6:07:09 PM, badger wrote:
last thousandth of a second even possibly..

well not "even".. more probably.. what with having still blown off half his face.

in other words i'm with you in how the fvck could he have fvcked it up..
signature
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 6:13:01 PM
At 4/8/2011 6:05:41 PM, badger wrote:

pussied out last second?:

Apparently what had happened was he was waiting for his girlfriend to come home from work so she could forever be tormented for the pain she caused him. Since the shotgun was long, he tried pulling the trigger with his toe. It took a little force, and the harder he pushed with his foot, the more the barrel deviated from squarely and evenly pointing at his melon. When it finally discharged, the blast only ripped through half of his face.

If he thought his life sucked before, he's in for a rude awakening...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 6:18:14 PM
At 4/8/2011 6:13:49 PM, Koopin wrote:
I skipped to the last page.

spoiler alert! He killed himself.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 6:19:52 PM
At 4/8/2011 6:18:14 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 4/8/2011 6:13:49 PM, Koopin wrote:
I skipped to the last page.

spoiler alert! He killed himself.

Yes, I was so surprised!
kfc
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 6:22:24 PM
At 4/8/2011 6:13:01 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Apparently what had happened was he was waiting for his girlfriend to come home from work so she could forever be tormented for the pain she caused him. Since the shotgun was long, he tried pulling the trigger with his toe. It took a little force, and the harder he pushed with his foot, the more the barrel deviated from squarely and evenly pointing at his melon. When it finally discharged, the blast only ripped through half of his face.

well that was a pretty epic failure now indeed lol
signature
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 6:23:56 PM

Actually, he'll probably try again. If his life is worse now, he'll have an even stronger drive to end it.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 6:26:37 PM
At 4/8/2011 6:22:24 PM, badger wrote:

well that was a pretty epic failure now indeed lol

well.. his girlfriend might be even more tormented now.
signature
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 6:32:30 PM
It seems the babble of a raving lunatic.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 6:35:21 PM
At 4/8/2011 6:32:30 PM, Reasoning wrote:
It seems the babble of a raving lunatic.

that's because it is. I jumped to a few different sections and laughed quite a bit. There are parts that are speculation, built on speculation, built on... many many floors worth. If speculation was cement, this guy could build the empire state building by himself.

I'm kind of happy he killed himself.