Jump to topic:

A level philosophy questions.

GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2011 11:23:49 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I found some old college papers, they have some questions that you might find interested in answering.

Well without further waiting, here they are.

'Describe and illustrate the view that knowledge is acquired via experience.'

Or: 'Describe and illustrate the view that knowledge is acquired via and justified by sense experience.'

Just give clear explanations and examples, no evaluation or criticism. Care to answer?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2011 11:55:02 AM
'Describe and illustrate the view that knowledge is acquired via experience.':

We learn to swim by swimming, we learn to walk by walking, we learn to throw by throwing, we learn dribble by dribbling, we learn play drums by drumming, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc......
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2011 12:23:56 PM
At 4/17/2011 11:55:02 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

We learn to swim by swimming, we learn to walk by walking, we learn to throw by throwing, we learn dribble by dribbling, we learn play drums by drumming, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc......

True, true, but there's more to it. How do we know that swimming is through sense experience. For example, what is light, we have not experience light in an absolute way, only through are senses. Therefore what we might believe to be light could be something other. And to say things fit our definitions is begging the question.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2011 1:08:36 PM
True, true, but there's more to it. How do we know that swimming is through sense experience.:

By getting in and experiencing it.

For example, what is light, we have not experience light in an absolute way, only through are senses. Therefore what we might believe to be light could be something other. And to say things fit our definitions is begging the question.:

Can you clean this up in to something coherent, please?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2011 1:32:17 PM
We see the world through very fuzzy lenses, but the world is still there.

While its form is remarkably different than what we are able to perceive, we do gain gain knowledge of our epistemological limitations through experience. Knowledge of our epistemological limitations is the only true knowledge there is. It is an understanding that has propelled science, though many have forgotten.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2011 1:34:01 PM
You went to college?
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2011 1:35:21 PM

Yes, but to experience something does not justify that you know something. Therefore how do you know swimming is really swimming.

What I meant is if we gain knowledge through experience, then that type of knowledge isn't really justified. Have you been educated in empiricism? We experience sense data, to illustrate this, what is the true shade of the colour red? The colour red can vary depending on light. Therefore some philosophers have concluded that we gain knowledge through sense experience, in that we experience sense data, not the 'real world'. But our sense data is derived from the 'real world'. Thus in the 'real world' there is the actual colour of red. Since we have never experienced the 'real world' due to subjective data is blocking our senses to experience the 'real world', in that we do not have a God's eye view of everything. Thus how then do we know what something is, if we don't actually experience a real thing, but a shade or a copy of something. You get me now?

So our definitions of things do not justify our knowledge of something. That would be begging the question if that was so.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2011 1:49:51 PM
At 4/17/2011 1:35:21 PM, GodSands wrote:

Yes, but to experience something does not justify that you know something. Therefore how do you know swimming is really swimming.

What I meant is if we gain knowledge through experience, then that type of knowledge isn't really justified. Have you been educated in empiricism? We experience sense data, to illustrate this, what is the true shade of the colour red? The colour red can vary depending on light. Therefore some philosophers have concluded that we gain knowledge through sense experience, in that we experience sense data, not the 'real world'. But our sense data is derived from the 'real world'. Thus in the 'real world' there is the actual colour of red. Since we have never experienced the 'real world' due to subjective data is blocking our senses to experience the 'real world', in that we do not have a God's eye view of everything. Thus how then do we know what something is, if we don't actually experience a real thing, but a shade or a copy of something. You get me now?

So our definitions of things do not justify our knowledge of something. That would be begging the question if that was so.

The real question is, are you going to let a knowledge of your epistemological limitations cripple you into a solipsist like mindset, or are you going to take the leap of faith necessary to actually function?

I'm also wondering if you were going to use this knowledge to justify some kind of silly belief that would also be "begging the question".
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2011 1:52:34 PM
I wish my philosophy A Level questions were that interesting. :/ As it is, they're all about outdated philosophy of religion and moral philosophy. Some epistemology would be nice.
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2011 2:31:04 PM
At 4/17/2011 11:55:02 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

we learn to swim by being taught to swim, we learn to walk by seeing others walk and being helped to walk. we learn to throw by seeing others.

monkey see monkey do or monkey learns to do
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2011 3:07:11 PM
What I meant is if we gain knowledge through experience, then that type of knowledge isn't really justified.:

Knowledge isn't justified through experience, aye? Then by what is it justified?

some philosophers have concluded that we gain knowledge through sense experience, in that we experience sense data, not the 'real world'. But our sense data is derived from the 'real world'. Thus in the 'real world' there is the actual colour of red.:

The arbitrary name of 'red' is something we assigned the color for universal identification purposes.

Since we have never experienced the 'real world' due to subjective data is blocking our senses to experience the 'real world', in that we do not have a God's eye view of everything. Thus how then do we know what something is, if we don't actually experience a real thing, but a shade or a copy of something. You get me now?:

No, it's utter nonsense, saying we can't know what the real world is, yet you try and sell everyone on God? If what you say is true, that experiences cannot justify knowledge, then even 'experiencing' God is to be dismissed.

So our definitions of things do not justify our knowledge of something. That would be begging the question if that was so.:

What does an arbitrary name that humans assigned something for universal identification purposes have to do with things not being real on that account. We could have called a "dog" "god" instead, but the creature would still exist regardless.

Beyond that I really don't know what you're asking. It's very convoluted and messy.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2011 3:11:29 PM
we learn to swim by being taught to swim, we learn to walk by seeing others walk and being helped to walk. we learn to throw by seeing others.

monkey see monkey do or monkey learns to do:

So by that logic you should be able to watch a tutorial on piano and come out playing like Mozart on the first shot. I don't think so, buddy.

Practice is the only way anyone will actually grasp it. Besides, the whole point of watching how people do something is so you can emulate it through action.
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2011 3:44:04 PM
At 4/17/2011 3:11:29 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

monkey see monkey do or monkey learns to do:

So by that logic you should be able to watch a tutorial on piano and come out playing like Mozart on the first shot. I don't think so, buddy.

only if we watch a lot oh and I also said being taught to learn the piano maybe that could help

Practice is the only way anyone will actually grasp it. Besides, the whole point of watching how people do something is so you can emulate it through action.

agreed
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?