Jump to topic:

Tom Regan: Animal Rights

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2011 11:00:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I thought this was engaging so I thought I would share it here.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 12:43:15 PM
I don't limit my compassion.

I just don't care so much about Lobster's and Fish as I do about cats.

they don't seem to suffer quite the same to me.

Though, they're stressed.. I don't feel it's the same.

Also, with Hogs and cows and chickens.. so long as they're killed quick.. I don't feel so bad.

I'm not limiting my compassion.. it's just not there for lobsters.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2011 1:02:20 PM
At 4/18/2011 12:43:15 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I don't limit my compassion.

I just don't care so much about Lobster's and Fish as I do about cats.

they don't seem to suffer quite the same to me.

Though, they're stressed.. I don't feel it's the same.

Also, with Hogs and cows and chickens.. so long as they're killed quick.. I don't feel so bad.

I'm not limiting my compassion.. it's just not there for lobsters.

like if bugs were big... (even if they were smart) they'd eat me alive and Screaming w/o a thought..

They're freaking evil. Same with lobsters.

I think of bugs like I think of computers.

fish a step up... but not so much that I really feel much compassion for the "stress/excitement" that they go through when they're in pain.

Mammals pain makes me Unhappy... but pork is tasty.

I'd have laws about slaughtering them quick/as painlessly as possible.. but I'm not so sentimental about their continued existence as I am about People, or dogs.
and I'd still want some bacon :)

the more socially intelligent an animal is.. the more I tend to care for it too.

and Social Stress, emotional pain, is what I'm most empathetic towards.. like if a dog looks confused for being hit.. or something..
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2011 12:27:03 AM
Animals have rights.........the rights to be DELICIOUS and TASTY !!!
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12