Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 9:13:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/21/2011 8:27:18 PM, GodSands wrote:
Question for the evoltionist:

Why is the future like the past?:

Why don't you just come out and say what you're itching to say?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 9:26:09 PM

Why is the future like the past?

I do not believe that it is, so I could not answer why something is like something if I do not believe they are 'like' at all.

The only similarities I find are the constancy of change. Evolution is so poorly mis-represented, both by those who reject it and those who don't. It is not 'pre-ordained' ... there is nothing in our genetic code that dictates what the 'next' evolutionary mutation is; evolution is adaptation to a changing environment.

Darwin theorized there was something biologically inherent that retained the 'memory' of mutations (and evolutions) past which carries those adaptations on to future generations. Evolution deniers forget this, and the fact that 'record' has been found -- the Deoxyribonucleic acid super-complex molecule or DNA. Evolution has been proven with the discovery of the actual genetic code molecule -- DNA -- more strongly than, say, gravity for which the responsible particle (graviton) has still yet to be discovered, even though the theory of gravity predates Darwin's theory of evolution by a couple centuries.

The similarity in species, the similarity in varying species' DNA, the fossil record of evolution and the DNA molecule itself all are evidence of evolution. It is a process that originated with the first single-celled organism that was the ancestor to all life -- animal, plant, fungus or otherwise. It was a process created by elaborate coincidence, and every change in the environment eliminated the forms of life carrying the genetic code that were not optimal for survival, making way for the mutations that did enable survival as meteors struck or volcanoes erupted, or as oxygen enriched through the propagation of plantlife or a species other species were dependent on goes extinct from disease or other calamity.

Evolution is mocked as men descending from apes -- which isn't accurate, as men and apes are different branches of evolutionary paths and it would be more accurate to say we had a common ancestor. Evolution is not a process pre-mapped out; the first single-celled organisms did not have code for humans, dolphins, orchids nor portabella mushrooms. Its a growing process reactive to environmental changes. While evolution is often thought of as taking millions of years, in fact it can and does happen much more quickly ... viruses evolve such that treatments that used to work no longer do. Normal rats have died off from pollution, poison and traps, so the rats that survived to eat and breed another day were those with hereditary code to survive these things and thrive in the human world. Humans are unknowingly and unintentionally probably the biggest factor in evolution today. We may well wipe ourselves out of existence through altering the environment to a point we can no longer sustain ourselves, or wiping ourselves out with biological or nuclear weapons. If that happens, chances are some species would fill in the void ... probably the species already adapting to life with us, such as rats.

There's no way to forecast evolutionary changes in the future without perfect precognition of the changes yet to come. Humans might wise up, cease our drastic and fouling the environment we need and put away our dangerous war machines ... or we may not and blow ourselves into oblivion. Evolution does not dictate which path we choose, only the consequences of the path we take and that life will evolve and change to survive in the world changes we make.
gizmo1650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 10:43:07 PM
That depends how how you define 'like', and what scale you are working in. I would not say the earth from a billio years from now is like the earth of a billion years ago. But I would say the universe from a billion years from now is like the universe from a billion years ago.
Basically, they get there similarities from the fact the the past morphs into the future. So, you have now, then particles move slightly, and you have a nano second from now. It would require a breach of the laws of physics as we know them in order for the universe to become raddicly different in a short period of time.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 12:00:02 AM

Answer: Don't know

Thus God did it.

I bet ya too it Godsands.

Where the hell are my pants ? Since I don't know of any natural explanation it must mean its a SUPERNATURAL explanation.

Damm it God, give me back my pants !!!
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 3:32:08 AM
The future doesn't exist yet, how do you know it is?

Also, what is the point of this question and what does it have to do with evolution?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 3:44:15 AM

All points in time are equally real. 'Past' and 'Future' are just subjective quantities; imagine yourself on a path stretching into the distance - the future exists, we just haven't reached it yet.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 3:53:37 AM

Recognizing that evolution is a legitamite and well supported theory for the diversification of life on the planet does not make one an 'evolutionist'. It makes you a person who doesn't stick to ridiculous bronze-age beliefs imagined by stupid goat herders who still thought the earth was flat.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 4:10:58 AM

Oh, I think I understand your question. You're asking why the laws of physics, among other things, remain constant - why, for instance, gravity doesn't suddenly reverse itself or the moon turn into cheddar. Am I right?
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 4:13:41 AM
At 4/22/2011 4:10:58 AM, Kinesis wrote:

Oh, I think I understand your question. You're asking why the laws of physics, among other things, remain constant - why, for instance, gravity doesn't suddenly reverse itself or the moon turn into cheddar. Am I right?

answer it!?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 5:12:08 AM
At 4/22/2011 5:11:16 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Something to lug a penis around?

so we've a misunderstanding there already :)
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 5:14:00 AM
At 4/22/2011 5:12:08 AM, badger wrote:
At 4/22/2011 5:11:16 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Something to lug a penis around?

so we've a misunderstanding there already :)

but i'mma stop there lol
signature
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 8:01:03 AM

You're asking why the laws of physics, among other things, remain constant

They don't, not what we know of them anyway.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 8:18:55 AM
At 4/22/2011 8:01:03 AM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

You're asking why the laws of physics, among other things, remain constant

They don't, not what we know of them anyway.

what do we know of them?
signature
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 8:41:11 AM

People repeat patterns that have preceded them. It's how we are, humans are the only ones who don't know naturally what to do like animals.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 9:19:32 AM
There are points in our universe now where the laws of physics as we know them break down, points of singularity for example, going back to the early universe then conservation laws as we know them were broken. Again it is clear that "as we know them" is used as there may be a higher theory which explains the change that we see in what we know.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 10:15:18 AM
I think the question is somewhat different though. Why is there any uniformity of the laws of physics at all? The speed of light has been experimentally confirmed to be 299,792,458 meters per second. Why does it remain 299,792,458 meters per second? Why should we deduce from the fact that we've confirmed that light currently travels at that speed that it will travel at that speed in the future?
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 11:56:56 AM

It's not.

If the future was like the past there would be no change.

You are screwing up a presuppositionalist argument.