Jump to topic:

What makes you think you are entitled or owed

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 8:06:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have often wondered why people, especially people born after 1980 think they are entitled to anything based on the fact that they were born. I pay taxes and have been paying them for years and still don't think I am entitled to anything. I am an able bodied person, so what if hard times come. I have had this scenario happen several times in my life for a number of different reasons. I never went whining down to the nearest welfare building to cry the blues about my situation.
I took it like an adult. You give up and sell everything you don't need until you dig yourself out. I lost a house, a car, everything except the cloths on my back. I even lived in my car for two weeks. Not once did I ever even think about taking my neighbors money to compensate me for my misfortune.
I feel sorry for the youth that are being taught the entitlement mentality. They are being taught to be a bunch of dependent wimps and slaves to govt. If you believe you should have a safety net then you will learn nothing from your mistakes except to look to govt as your mommy after your real one dies.
Look to govt for nothing but lies waste and deciet. Look to yourself for truth and wealth. The first requirement of govt subsidies is that you live in poverty. If you are poor, which you are not, because you are reading this, remember this. There is no such thing as a poor christian consevative. It is impossible to be poor if you follow this ideolgy.
I don't care if gov't takes everything they work for, they will still not be poor. Even if their house burns down with everthing inside, they will still not be poor. Even if a hurrcane levels everything, they will not be poor. The only people who are poor are people who belive they are entitled to something based on the fact that they were born. They will never try to work for what they belive they are entitled to. Why should they? It's their "right" and are entitled to it.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 8:58:44 PM
Because entitlements and responsibilities go together.

If the world owes you nothing then you owe the world nothing.

So want to have a civil society or go law of the jungle ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 11:22:29 PM
At 4/22/2011 8:58:44 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Except entitlements are when you owe the world nothing and the world owes you something.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 11:24:07 PM

How about stipulations? Mandatory 2 year civil service (which can include military) if you draw welfare. That would be putting something back to society.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 11:43:30 PM
At 4/22/2011 11:22:29 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Except entitlements are when you owe the world nothing and the world owes you something.

Well maybe I choose the wrong word then, but I think you get my point.

I would also make the point, the rich and powerful are real good at laying burdens on the masses, but they don't seem to be so eager to lay burdens on themselves.

How about if your are in the top 1% of wealth seeing you are benefiting from the nation quite nicely you serve 2 years in the military.

From what I hear..... when rome first started out, this was the principle, those who benefit the most (rich and powerful those who have much) should be the ones who should fight in its defense.

That didn't last long..........
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 12:58:03 AM
At 4/22/2011 11:43:30 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I would also make the point, the rich and powerful are real good at laying burdens on the masses, but they don't seem to be so eager to lay burdens on themselves.

How about if your are in the top 1% of wealth seeing you are benefiting from the nation quite nicely you serve 2 years in the military.

From what I hear..... when rome first started out, this was the principle, those who benefit the most (rich and powerful those who have much) should be the ones who should fight in its defense.

Rich people can pay for many soldiers pay with taxes. Do you really expect nothing more from poor people but the ability to breathe?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 2:44:22 AM
At 4/23/2011 12:58:03 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Rich people can pay for many soldiers pay with taxes. Do you really expect nothing more from poor people but the ability to breathe?

So how did they become so rich ? Shall we pretend the system is super fair, and they got their riches by just working a little bit harder than everyone else ? Oh yes we always talk about how much more the tax pay, but we don't talk about how they got the wealth in the first place do we.

I would rather do the same amount of work and get 1 million dollars and get taxed at 50% in the dollar, than work the same amount and earn 30,000 and get taxed at 5%, and you would too.

Nice strawman attack on the expecting nothing more on the poor.
Phoenix_Reaper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 9:46:21 PM

Entitlement - belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges

Responsibility - moral, legal, or mental accountability

I do not see how those two go together. Explain your point further.
Phoenix Reaper - To rise from the ashes of defeat and claim your soul.

: At 3/15/2011 4:23:07 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
: Taste is for pussïes. Be a nihilist. Drink vodka.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 11:18:07 PM
At 4/23/2011 9:46:21 PM, Phoenix_Reaper wrote:

Entitlement - belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges

Responsibility - moral, legal, or mental accountability

I do not see how those two go together. Explain your point further.

Spirit of the law, not letter of the law.

"If the world owes you nothing then you owe the world nothing."

What ever world/society/government/authority etc, you will have burdens placed on you, don't do this, you must do this etc

" The world demands something of you, then you can demand something of the world"

If after placing these burdens on you, the world then turns around and says, I don't owe you anything then like I said before you don't own the world anything then.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 11:44:09 PM
At 4/23/2011 2:44:22 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

So how did they become so rich ? Shall we pretend the system is super fair, and they got their riches by just working a little bit harder than everyone else ? Oh yes we always talk about how much more the tax pay, but we don't talk about how they got the wealth in the first place do we.

I would rather do the same amount of work and get 1 million dollars and get taxed at 50% in the dollar, than work the same amount and earn 30,000 and get taxed at 5%, and you would too.

Strawman!??!!

Well by your reasoning then, society expects nothing from either the poor or the rich then. Nice society! where is that?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 11:46:59 PM

Are earnings a gift or plunder?

How about neither. Earnings are just that. People choose to compensate you, not the other way around.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 1:30:53 AM
Strawman!??!!

Well by your reasoning then, society expects nothing from either the poor or the rich then. Nice society! where is that?

How does my reasoning reach the conclusion that nothing is expected from the rich or poor ?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 4:29:00 AM
At 4/24/2011 1:30:53 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Strawman!??!!

How does my reasoning reach the conclusion that nothing is expected from the rich or poor ?

Well I asked if you thought society asks nothing from poor people except the ability to breathe air, and you say nothing, so you agree.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 4:32:18 AM
Haha, owned? Entitled? I was born in 1987 and I am insulted by your insinuations. How dare you stereotype generation Y in such a way! Fvck you!
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 8:21:25 AM
At 4/24/2011 4:29:00 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/24/2011 1:30:53 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Strawman!??!!

Well I asked if you thought society asks nothing from poor people except the ability to breathe air, and you say nothing, so you agree.

Silence = Agreement ?

And who taught you that ?
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 9:37:30 AM

That doesn't even make sense. The relative value of your work tends to be directly proportional to how much you are paid. Someone who gets a million dollars is doing a whole lot more important work than someone who gets 30,000.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 10:50:38 AM
At 4/24/2011 4:32:18 AM, tvellalott wrote:
Haha, owned? Entitled? I was born in 1987 and I am insulted by your insinuations. How dare you stereotype generation Y in such a way! Fvck you!
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 10:51:05 AM
At 4/24/2011 10:50:38 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 4/24/2011 4:32:18 AM, tvellalott wrote:

except make that 1988 for me.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 11:48:01 AM
At 4/24/2011 9:37:30 AM, mongeese wrote:

That doesn't even make sense. The relative value of your work tends to be directly proportional to how much you are paid. Someone who gets a million dollars is doing a whole lot more important work than someone who gets 30,000.

This.

Also, old people have a sense of entitlement. They yell about having to wait in line at the bank :/
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 6:52:52 PM

"I would rather do the same amount of work and get 1 million dollars and get taxed at 50% in the dollar, than work the same amount and earn 30,000 and get taxed at 5%, and you would too."

Ummm why are you not doing that now? Sounds like a simple enough thing to do. Why is it you can't get an income of 1 million dollars a year? Are you suggesting that anyone who makes 1 million a year is a crook? People who make a million dollars a year don't work "just a little bit harder" than you, they work "100 times harder than you" And you can bet a million dollars they don't waste any time on sites like this. This is one of many reasons I don't make a million dollars a year. They have 100 times the ambition and drive than I do. I know a few millionaires. They all work day and night and are on call 24/7 and give up what we all like to call free time and vacations. Yes they travel but they are always working.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 6:53:50 PM
Shall we pretend the system is super fair, and they got their riches by just working a little bit harder than everyone else
They worked more effectively. Effort is irrelevant. Punching brick walls all day is not to be rewarded nearly so much as inventing a wrecking ball.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 3:11:43 PM
At 4/24/2011 6:53:50 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Shall we pretend the system is super fair, and they got their riches by just working a little bit harder than everyone else
They worked more effectively. Effort is irrelevant. Punching brick walls all day is not to be rewarded nearly so much as inventing a wrecking ball.

There should be a required course called brick punching 101.
...or economics for dummies.