Total Posts:32|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The Philosophy List

BangBang-Coconut
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2011 2:01:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm making list of various philosophers I want to read, Help me out with some suggestions! I just ask that you please not waste time with posting some of the greats like Plato, or Aristotle.

+Soren Kierkegaard

+Erich Fromm
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2011 10:33:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Erich Fromm is a Psychologist last I checked.

- Alan Watts
- Siddhartha Gautama
- Martin Heidegger
- J. Krishnamurti
- David Hume
- Chuang Tzu
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2011 10:34:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/29/2011 2:01:48 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:
I'm making list of various philosophers I want to read, Help me out with some suggestions! I just ask that you please not waste time with posting some of the greats like Plato, or Aristotle.

+Soren Kierkegaard

+Erich Fromm

I would say Sam Harris (The Moral Landscape) and Peter Singer.

I read The Sane Society when I was young and really enjoyed it.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
meowmixxx
Posts: 68
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 1:59:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I can give you a very long list, it all depends on what you're interested in; Epistemology, Metaphysics, Ethics? I'm talking about philosophers in the contemporary or late modern time period here. My suggestions would also ignore lots of continental philosophers and all post-modernism, though, so if that's what you're into, I couldn't help you there.
Debates I'm in:
Emotion is a weakness in decision making.
http://www.debate.org... IN VOTING
It is more likely that we live in a simulated reality than a real reality.
http://www.debate.org... IN VOTING
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 5:39:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/30/2011 1:59:40 AM, meowmixxx wrote:
I can give you a very long list, it all depends on what you're interested in; Epistemology, Metaphysics, Ethics? I'm talking about philosophers in the contemporary or late modern time period here. My suggestions would also ignore lots of continental philosophers and all post-modernism, though, so if that's what you're into, I couldn't help you there.

What's wrong with continental philosophy?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 6:15:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Robert Anton Wilson
Alan Watts
Epicurus
David Hume
Plato
Aristotle
Socrates
Frederich Nietzsche
Albert Einstein
Albert Camus
Paul Tillich
Max Stirner
Jesus
Siddhartha Gautama
Soren Kierkegaard
Zeno of Citium
Jaul-Pual Satre
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
meowmixxx
Posts: 68
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 9:35:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/30/2011 5:39:37 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/30/2011 1:59:40 AM, meowmixxx wrote:
I can give you a very long list, it all depends on what you're interested in; Epistemology, Metaphysics, Ethics? I'm talking about philosophers in the contemporary or late modern time period here. My suggestions would also ignore lots of continental philosophers and all post-modernism, though, so if that's what you're into, I couldn't help you there.

What's wrong with continental philosophy?

There are a few problems that I have with some of it personally, but I'm not looking into getting into an analytic vs continental philosophy debate in this thread. I'll just say that since I'm a grad student in philosophy, I don't really read much continental. Still, there are many continental philosophers that I do respect and enjoy reading. It's just that some (like say.. Zizek) that are only good for reading as a diversion.
Debates I'm in:
Emotion is a weakness in decision making.
http://www.debate.org... IN VOTING
It is more likely that we live in a simulated reality than a real reality.
http://www.debate.org... IN VOTING
BangBang-Coconut
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 10:34:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/29/2011 10:33:13 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Erich Fromm is a Psychologist last I checked.

- Alan Watts
- Siddhartha Gautama
- Martin Heidegger
- J. Krishnamurti
- David Hume
- Chuang Tzu

Maybe, but his book "the art of loving" is really good.
I don't think being a psychologist means one isn't a philosopher.

Also, thanks for the list :D!
BangBang-Coconut
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 10:35:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/29/2011 10:34:39 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 4/29/2011 2:01:48 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:
I'm making list of various philosophers I want to read, Help me out with some suggestions! I just ask that you please not waste time with posting some of the greats like Plato, or Aristotle.

+Soren Kierkegaard

+Erich Fromm

I would say Sam Harris (The Moral Landscape) and Peter Singer.

I read The Sane Society when I was young and really enjoyed it.

I'll look into them!
Thanks :D
BangBang-Coconut
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 10:36:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/30/2011 1:59:40 AM, meowmixxx wrote:
I can give you a very long list, it all depends on what you're interested in; Epistemology, Metaphysics, Ethics? I'm talking about philosophers in the contemporary or late modern time period here. My suggestions would also ignore lots of continental philosophers and all post-modernism, though, so if that's what you're into, I couldn't help you there.

Just link me to whom you think have some of the most interesting things to say. If I don't like them, I'll stop reading.
BangBang-Coconut
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 10:38:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/30/2011 6:15:24 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Robert Anton Wilson
Alan Watts
Epicurus
David Hume
Plato
Aristotle
Socrates
Frederich Nietzsche
Albert Einstein
Albert Camus
Paul Tillich
Max Stirner
Jesus
Siddhartha Gautama
Soren Kierkegaard
Zeno of Citium
Jaul-Pual Satre

Epicurus, Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, Nietzsche, Einstien, Jesus, Buddha, and Kierkegaard are all mainstream. I Already know of them and their philosophies; But for all of the others, thank you!
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 10:46:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Bro read 'Utilitarianism' by Mill.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 10:58:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I can never get enough of Mill.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
BangBang-Coconut
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 11:00:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/30/2011 10:58:20 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I can never get enough of Mill.

He's got some good ideas :3
I love the idea of utilitarianism, but it's unrealistic in all practical application.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 11:03:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/30/2011 11:00:37 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:
At 4/30/2011 10:58:20 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I can never get enough of Mill.

He's got some good ideas :3
I love the idea of utilitarianism, but it's unrealistic in all practical application.

What ethical preference do you hold?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
BangBang-Coconut
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 11:23:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/30/2011 11:03:07 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 4/30/2011 11:00:37 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:
At 4/30/2011 10:58:20 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I can never get enough of Mill.

He's got some good ideas :3
I love the idea of utilitarianism, but it's unrealistic in all practical application.

What ethical preference do you hold?

Let's not get into that.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 11:34:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/30/2011 10:38:54 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:
At 4/30/2011 6:15:24 AM, FREEDO wrote:
: : Robert Anton Wilson
: : Alan Watts
Epicurus
David Hume
Plato
Aristotle
Socrates
Frederich Nietzsche
Albert Einstein
: : Albert Camus
: : Paul Tillich
Max Stirner
Jesus
Siddhartha Gautama
Soren Kierkegaard
Zeno of Citium
: : Jaul-Pual Satre

Epicurus, Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, Nietzsche, Einstien, Jesus, Buddha, and Kierkegaard are all mainstream. I Already know of them and their philosophies; But for all of the others, thank you!

You're welcome. Those highlighted I most emphasis looking into.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2011 12:42:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hans-Hermann Hoppe
Arthur Schopenhauer

These are two who I have read who and would recommend and have not been mentioned. I would also second several of the others, including Sartre.
BangBang-Coconut
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2011 9:05:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/30/2011 11:32:19 PM, CiRrK wrote:
Dennet - Analytic Philosophy
Kant - Ethics
Strauss (love him <3 ) - Political Philosophy
Rawls - Political Philosophy

Thank you :D
BangBang-Coconut
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2011 9:06:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/30/2011 11:34:56 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 4/30/2011 10:38:54 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:
At 4/30/2011 6:15:24 AM, FREEDO wrote:
: : Robert Anton Wilson
: : Alan Watts
Epicurus
David Hume
Plato
Aristotle
Socrates
Frederich Nietzsche
Albert Einstein
: : Albert Camus
: : Paul Tillich
Max Stirner
Jesus
Siddhartha Gautama
Soren Kierkegaard
Zeno of Citium
: : Jaul-Pual Satre

Epicurus, Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, Nietzsche, Einstien, Jesus, Buddha, and Kierkegaard are all mainstream. I Already know of them and their philosophies; But for all of the others, thank you!

You're welcome. Those highlighted I most emphasis looking into.

Awesome! Thanks :D
BangBang-Coconut
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2011 9:08:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/1/2011 12:42:35 AM, Grape wrote:
Hans-Hermann Hoppe
Arthur Schopenhauer

These are two who I have read who and would recommend and have not been mentioned. I would also second several of the others, including Sartre.

I've heard Schopenhauer is really good, thanks for the suggestion!