Have a problem here

headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 8:46:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
ok so I have an argument due for English

write an essay that develops a position on whether or not here should be specific texts that all students of high school english must read.

let me explain a bit it's like choosing a certain books for the entire nation and only those books will be taught nothing else

which would you choose please explain why.
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 9:01:01 PM
your teachers ****ing crazy? No one is qualified to control the minds of anyone else.

Oh, that's right, they are that crazy ^_^.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 9:07:14 PM
At 5/4/2011 9:01:01 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
your teachers ****ing crazy? No one is qualified to control the minds of anyone else.

Oh, that's right, they are that crazy ^_^.

LMAO
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 9:28:14 PM
No Treason: The Constitution of No Authority by Lysander Spooner
The Law By Frederic Bastiat
What is Seen and What is Not Seen by Bastiat
Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt
For a New Liberty by Murray Rothbard
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 9:30:04 PM
Mutual Aid by Peter Kropotkin
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 9:37:33 PM
At 5/4/2011 9:30:04 PM, socialpinko wrote:

That book is amazing.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 9:39:17 PM
At 5/4/2011 9:37:33 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 5/4/2011 9:30:04 PM, socialpinko wrote:

That book is amazing.

We might be the only two people on DDO who think that.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 10:09:20 PM
The topic is whether or not there should be a standard list of texts, not what the list should be if the list approach is selected. The argument for selecting a standard list is presented in the book Cultural Literacy by E.D. Hirsch. http://www.amazon.com...

The basic argument is that having a standard set of works known to everyone in a culture facilitates communication among the members of the culture. For Americans that might include Tom Sawyer, Moby Dick, Romeo and Juliet, A tale of Two Cities, The Diary of Ann Frank, whatever. The idea is not that these are necessarily better than all the other books, it is that having a set in common forms a basis for common reference, comparison, and allusion. Having the Lord of the Rings or the Tale of Genji in the list, for example, would serve the objective as well because everyone would have a certain common body of knowledge that could be counted upon. It's like having a core vocabulary of language that can be relied upon in conversation.

The counter arguments are obvious, but Googling Hirsch and Cultural Literacy will bring them up.
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 10:15:54 PM
At 5/4/2011 10:09:20 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
The topic is whether or not there should be a standard list of texts, not what the list should be if the list approach is selected. The argument for selecting a standard list is presented in the book Cultural Literacy by E.D. Hirsch. http://www.amazon.com...

The basic argument is that having a standard set of works known to everyone in a culture facilitates communication among the members of the culture. For Americans that might include Tom Sawyer, Moby Dick, Romeo and Juliet, A tale of Two Cities, The Diary of Ann Frank, whatever. The idea is not that these are necessarily better than all the other books, it is that having a set in common forms a basis for common reference, comparison, and allusion. Having the Lord of the Rings or the Tale of Genji in the list, for example, would serve the objective as well because everyone would have a certain common body of knowledge that could be counted upon. It's like having a core vocabulary of language that can be relied upon in conversation.

The counter arguments are obvious, but Googling Hirsch and Cultural Literacy will bring them up.

so Roy are you arguing that's it's more practical or more logical from an objective standpoint to adopt a certain set of books for the whole nation? ( that sounds kinda snooty sorry).
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 10:38:04 PM
At 5/4/2011 10:15:54 PM, headphonegut wrote:
so Roy are you arguing that's it's more practical or more logical from an objective standpoint to adopt a certain set of books for the whole nation? ( that sounds kinda snooty sorry).

I didn't argue one way or the other. You just asked what the argument was.

I have a position on pretty much everything, however. I propose a two-thirds/one-third rule. Two -thirds 0f the curriculum ought to be standard, and one third localized. We're talking high school.

Everyone should learn some basic stuff like Shakespeare and Twain. The University of Mexico has more than twenty courses on Shakespeare. Just face it, it's important, and an obvious choice for core cultural literacy. However, if you are in Hawaii you should know know about King Kamehameha and if you're in Texas, Sam Houston. Or whatever. The one-third should have some room for personal interest as well. But no, you are not smart enough in high school to decide that Naruto is more important than Shakespeare. You have the rest of your life to specialize, but a common core benefits both the individual and society via the literacy argument.

I don't particularly care what is in the core, so long as it is in the consensus as being among the good stuff.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 12:43:03 AM
At 5/4/2011 10:15:54 PM, headphonegut wrote:
At 5/4/2011 10:09:20 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

how is that snooty? people who communicate better cooperate better, and people with common cultural heritages communicate better. i doubt a high school reading list would make that much of a difference, personally, but theres nothing snooty about suggesting that a common background results in a more cohesive group.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...