Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

- Philosophical Quotes -

Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 5:03:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I wanted to create a forum that gives everyone an outlet for some of their favorite philosophical quotes.

I think this will be a great way to express ourselves philosophically.

"The world is given to me only once, not one existing and one perceived. Subject and object are only one. The barrier between them cannot be said to have broken down as a result of recent experience in the physical sciences, for this barrier does not exist."

- Erwin Schrodinger -
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 10:41:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
"My son is taking a course in philosophy, and last night we were looking at something by Spinoza and there was the most childish reasoning! There were all these attributes, and Substances, and all this meaningless chewing around, and we started to laugh. Now how could we do that? Here's this great Dutch philosopher, and we're laughing at him. It's because there's no excuse for it! In the same period there was Newton, there was Harvey studying the circulation of the blood, there were people with methods of analysis by which progress was being made! You can take every one of Spinoza's propositions, and take the contrary propositions, and look at the world and you can't tell which is right."

Richard P. Feynman, The Pleasure of Finding Things Out
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 10:42:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Philosophers say a great deal about what is absolutely necessary for science, and it is always, so far as one can see, rather naive, and probably wrong. -- Richard Feynman
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 11:43:39 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
There can be no truly moral choice unless that choice is made in freedom.---Murray Rothbard
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 12:07:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This first quote, because it teaches a valuable lesson about epistemology.

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

This second one, because like a good portion of what Jesus says(especially the sermon on the mount), it is a real church nuke.

"The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat(In context, they are the law, and can have you executed). So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries wide, and the tassels on their garments long; they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi' by others.

But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,' for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. The greatest among you will be your servant. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."
~ Jesus

This one down here, because it is funny, makes for a good mental exercise, and a lot of times even improves your comprehension, as having this type of mind set forces you to take more time interpreting a statement that you might just dismiss as bullsh!t on first reading.

"All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.' ~ Sri Syadasti
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 12:27:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"I have gained this from philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law"

Aristotle
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 2:52:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
" Reality cannot be found except in One single source, because of the interconnection of all things with one another. ... I maintain also that substances, whether material or immaterial, cannot be conceived in their bare essence without any activity, activity being of the essence of substance in general. "

- Gottfried Leibniz -
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 4:21:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
All mankind... being all equal and independent, no one ought to harm another in his life, health, liberty or possessions.---John Locke
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 6:30:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I like the Buddha quote from Cosmic.

I'll post this one because it's been in my head for the past 2 weeks.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." - Wittgenstein
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 6:34:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 6:30:11 PM, vbaculum wrote:
I like the Buddha quote from Cosmic.

I'll post this one because it's been in my head for the past 2 weeks.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." - Wittgenstein

I love Wittgenstein. He's one of the few people that seems to understand that we live in the tower of babel.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 10:12:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 6:34:36 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 5/19/2011 6:30:11 PM, vbaculum wrote:
I like the Buddha quote from Cosmic.

I'll post this one because it's been in my head for the past 2 weeks.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." - Wittgenstein

I love Wittgenstein. He's one of the few people that seems to understand that we live in the tower of babel.

I've wanted to get into Wittgenstein for a while but I figure that I wouldn't understand him since most people make a big deal about how incomprehinsible he is. Do you know of any good Wittgenstein For Dummies books out there.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 1:56:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 10:12:25 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 5/19/2011 6:34:36 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 5/19/2011 6:30:11 PM, vbaculum wrote:
I like the Buddha quote from Cosmic.

I'll post this one because it's been in my head for the past 2 weeks.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." - Wittgenstein

I love Wittgenstein. He's one of the few people that seems to understand that we live in the tower of babel.

I've wanted to get into Wittgenstein for a while but I figure that I wouldn't understand him since most people make a big deal about how incomprehinsible he is. Do you know of any good Wittgenstein For Dummies books out there.

As long as you understand the difference between a symbol and what a symbol represents.. You shouldn't have too big of a problem understanding Wittgenstein.

This concept is nearly impossible to communicate, because communication is done through symbols. Getting people to understand meaning over semantics.. Getting people to realize that their understanding is based on symbols rather than reality is insanely hard.

Even when I explain it in the most lucid way possible, people think my words are vague. That is how hard it is to get people to understand this concept. It's mind boggling, I swear.

This revelation is so paradigm rocking that throughout human history, wise men have tried to explain it through metaphor, and parable.. But people still don't seem to get it.

If you understand it though, you've pretty much found God. Of course, by saying that, I've turned away just about anyone who has built in preconceptions about what God is.

God is fvcking awesome, but the word "god" turns people off who aren't stupid.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 8:12:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"Knowing others is wisdom; Knowing the self is enlightenment; Mastering others requires force; Mastering self requires strength"

- Lao Tzu -