Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Suggested Reading

socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 10:29:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm looking for something too read. Anyone have any suggested reading on the topic of philosophy? Any sub-field within will do.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 10:31:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The Ethics of Liberty, by Murray Rothbard.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 10:48:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I want to recommend Descartes, but Descartes was really one of those books that grew on me. You'll hate it the first time you read it.
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 10:54:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm planning to read Consciousness Explained by Daniel Dennett soon because it looks awesome and I'm going to Tufts so it's kind of obligatory. I'm trying to balance reading philosophy and economics, but that book is high on the list.

I'd second The Ethics of Liberty and throw in The Economics and Ethics of Private Property by Hans-Hermman Hoppe as well.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 1:57:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/18/2011 10:54:32 PM, Grape wrote:
I'm planning to read Consciousness Explained by Daniel Dennett soon because it looks awesome and I'm going to Tufts so it's kind of obligatory. I'm trying to balance reading philosophy and economics, but that book is high on the list.

jealousssssssss. i have a huge intellectual crush on dennett lol.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
TheSkeptic
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 5:18:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
To help you escape the incessant amount of bleeding libertarians on this website, check out some David Lewis if you're interested in metaphysics. He's pretty much the seminal figure of the last century in metaphysics. The man holds crazy positions but is so potent in defending them - he's an awesome read, and an even better discussion generator :P.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 9:11:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/18/2011 10:54:32 PM, Grape wrote:
I'm planning to read Consciousness Explained Away/Consciousness Ignored by Daniel Dennett soon because it looks awesome and I'm going to Tufts so it's kind of obligatory....

Fixed. :P

I think David Chalmers and Thomas Nagel have correctly characterized the book as that.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 1:22:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 9:11:04 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/18/2011 10:54:32 PM, Grape wrote:
I'm planning to read Consciousness Explained Away/Consciousness Ignored by Daniel Dennett soon because it looks awesome and I'm going to Tufts so it's kind of obligatory....

Fixed. :P

I think David Chalmers and Thomas Nagel have correctly characterized the book as that.

lol. consciousness explained away.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
TheSkeptic
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 9:51:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 9:11:04 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/18/2011 10:54:32 PM, Grape wrote:
I'm planning to read Consciousness Explained Away/Consciousness Ignored by Daniel Dennett soon because it looks awesome and I'm going to Tufts so it's kind of obligatory....

Fixed. :P

I think David Chalmers and Thomas Nagel have correctly characterized the book as that.

as a functionalist, it's my obligation to boo that motion.
*boo*
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 10:07:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
On the topic of philosophy? If I understand you correctly I would say Russel's "History of Western Philosophy". He summarizes all the greats up to his time and brings his own philosophical insight to bear on each of them. Are you done reading about moral philosophy then? lol
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
twsurber
Posts: 505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 2:04:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Wait, you are voluntarily reading philosophy? :o)

Try "Essentials of Philosophy" by James Mannion. It provides an enigmatic variety of various miscellaneous things. :o)