Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

- Yin Yang Philosophy -

Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 2:45:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
- THE YIN YANG PHILOSOPHY -

In Taoist philosophy, yin and yang arise together from an initial quiescence or emptiness (wuji, sometimes symbolized by an empty circle), and continue moving in tandem until quiescence is reached again. For instance, dropping a stone in a calm pool of water will simultaneously raise waves and lower troughs between them, and this alternation of high and low points in the water will radiate outward until the movement dissipates and the pool is calm once more. Yin and yang thus are always opposite and equal qualities. Further, whenever one quality reaches its peak, it will naturally begin to transform into the opposite quality: for example, grain that reaches its full height in summer (fully yang) will produce seeds and die back in winter (fully yin) in an endless cycle.

It is impossible to talk about yin or yang without some reference to the opposite, since yin and yang are bound together as parts of a mutual whole (i.e. you cannot have the back of a hand without the front). A way to illustrate this idea is to postulate the notion of a race with only men or only women; this race would disappear in a single generation. Yet, men and women together create new generations that allow the race they mutually create (and mutually come from) to survive. The interaction of the two gives birth to things. Yin and yang transform each other: like an undertow in the ocean, every advance is complemented by a retreat, and every rise transforms into a fall. Thus, a seed will sprout from the earth and grow upwards towards the sky – an intrinsically yang movement. Then, when it reaches its full potential height, it will fall.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

http://www.spaceandmotion.com...

Thoughts?
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 3:11:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 2:45:47 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
- THE YIN YANG PHILOSOPHY -

In Taoist philosophy, yin and yang arise together from an initial quiescence or emptiness (wuji, sometimes symbolized by an empty circle), and continue moving in tandem until quiescence is reached again. For instance, dropping a stone in a calm pool of water will simultaneously raise waves and lower troughs between them, and this alternation of high and low points in the water will radiate outward until the movement dissipates and the pool is calm once more. Yin and yang thus are always opposite and equal qualities. Further, whenever one quality reaches its peak, it will naturally begin to transform into the opposite quality: for example, grain that reaches its full height in summer (fully yang) will produce seeds and die back in winter (fully yin) in an endless cycle.

It is impossible to talk about yin or yang without some reference to the opposite, since yin and yang are bound together as parts of a mutual whole (i.e. you cannot have the back of a hand without the front). A way to illustrate this idea is to postulate the notion of a race with only men or only women; this race would disappear in a single generation. Yet, men and women together create new generations that allow the race they mutually create (and mutually come from) to survive. The interaction of the two gives birth to things. Yin and yang transform each other: like an undertow in the ocean, every advance is complemented by a retreat, and every rise transforms into a fall. Thus, a seed will sprout from the earth and grow upwards towards the sky – an intrinsically yang movement. Then, when it reaches its full potential height, it will fall.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

http://www.spaceandmotion.com...

Thoughts?

Advaita Vedanta is probably the best known of all Vedanta schools of Hinduism, the others being Dvaita and Vishishtadvaita. Advaita literally means "not two", and is often called a monistic or non-dualistic system which essentially refers to the indivisibility of the Self (Atman) from the Whole (Brahman).

Verse twenty-five of the Avadhuta (Ever-Free) Gita says:

By such sentences as "That thou art," our own Self is affirmed. Of that which is untrue and composed of the five elements - the Sruti (scripture) says, "Not this, not this." (Neti Neti)

This is a powerful and coherent summary of the Advaita path of Jnana Yoga, of viveka (discrimination). By peeling away the perspectival maya, or illusion, of the finite world, discriminating between what is Brahman and what is not, one comes to the truth. Brahman is not the body nor the mind. Through this process, the aspirant, or yogi, soon realizes that Brahman is all, is infinite Sacchidananda (Absolute Truth-Consciousness-Bliss) and attains moksha (liberation.)

The relationships, formalized as equations by Planck and Einstein, suggest that the whole mesh of the Universe blend into a One that exhibits itself as many (namely, mass, energy, wave etc), and that this follows Advaita's view that everything is but the manifestation of an omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent "One"

Fritjof Capra's book, The Tao of Physics, is one among several that pursue this viewpoint as it investigates the relationship between modern, particularly quantum, physics and the core philosophies of various Eastern religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 3:19:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
That was a very interesting post... I am still trying to absorb it properly.

Is it in opposition with yin yang philosophy or in agreement with it?

I will read it a few more times... I have not studied Hinduism very deeply, yet.
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 3:36:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 3:19:38 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
That was a very interesting post... I am still trying to absorb it properly.

Is it in opposition with yin yang philosophy or in agreement with it?

I will read it a few more times... I have not studied Hinduism very deeply, yet.

The Yin-Yang is more to do with nature, I believe and is not concerned with Self-God relationships. Or am I wrong in assuming that?

Alternately, there's another school of thought in Hinduism, called the Dvaita Vedanta. Dvaita means Dual, so you can have fun with that also, if you want.

And whenever you talk about gender being dual, why do you forget that organisms procreate asexually too.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 4:23:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The yin and yang is commonly associated with nature and it dies apply, but it also applies to everything. That is the point of the philosophy. Everything must have exist through opposites.

How would God and Self not apply to this concept?

God is everything and everything exists as opposites. Self is part of everything and every part of it exists as opposites.

In this way God and self are one in the same. Like a branch on a tree.

That is my current understanding and perspective at least.
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 8:59:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 4:23:24 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
The yin and yang is commonly associated with nature and it dies apply, but it also applies to everything. That is the point of the philosophy. Everything must have exist through opposites.

How would God and Self not apply to this concept?

God is everything and everything exists as opposites. Self is part of everything and every part of it exists as opposites.

In this way God and self are one in the same. Like a branch on a tree.

That is my current understanding and perspective at least.

Well, what's the opposite of God?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 2:10:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
The Tao Te Ching is probably my favorite philosophical text. It's short, simple, to the point, and describes God in a way that is clearer than any other text that I know of.

To me, God = Tao

From your understanding of Yin and Yang, cause and effect is a misleading concept. Forces act on each other, it isn't a one way reaction. This is true, and understanding this is the only way to wrap ones head around infinity.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 3:45:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I guess the opposite of God would depend on your definition of God..

If your definition of God is that God is everything... Then the opposite would be nothing.

Yin would be Nothing and Yang would be God or everything.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 5:38:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
They are symbols, none of it is an accurate reflection of actuality.

We might as well be having a circle jerk.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 5:39:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The circle jerk of course is a metaphor for life.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 6:02:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/20/2011 5:38:40 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
They are symbols, none of it is an accurate reflection of actuality.

We might as well be having a circle jerk.

Sorry you feel that way.