Jump to topic:

Service Dogs Vs Dog Allergies

Yorble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 5:37:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Here's the scenario- A person with a service dog and a man with severe allergies to pets are in a restaurant at the same time. Who has the right to stay there? Will the allergic man have to suffer, or should the service dog simply walk away?

What are your thoughts on this?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 5:51:28 PM
I think it really comes down to whether or not the man with allergies complains or not.

Seriously, that guy would have to be a serious wanker to say anything.

If he does complain, it would be up to the parties involved to figure it out. If they can't find a reasonable solution, and are creating a scene, I'd ask why the fvck a blind man would bring a dog into a restaurant anyway, because seeing eye dogs can't read menus.

If this doesn't cause the blind man to leave, the only real solution involves fire.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Yorble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 6:02:24 PM
At 5/21/2011 5:51:28 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I think it really comes down to whether or not the man with allergies complains or not.

If he does complain, it would be up to the parties involved to figure it out. If they can't find a reasonable solution, and are creating a scene, I'd ask why the fvck a blind man would bring a dog into a restaurant anyway, because seeing eye dogs can't read menus.

If this doesn't cause the blind man to leave, the only real solution involves fire.

The dog could be used for other things, such as identifying paprika if the person is (ironically) allergic to it.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 6:29:20 PM
At 5/21/2011 5:48:53 PM, Grape wrote:
The owner of the restaurant decides.

This.

Even then, if a person has dog allergies that bad then they probably take medicine to control their body's reaction. Hell, OTC Claratin is strong enough to completely eliminate my severe cat allergy when I visit my aunt and uncle. Plus, being in the same room as a dog for an hour isn't going to upset your allergies unless you're actually touching the dog.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Yorble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 6:52:42 PM
At 5/21/2011 6:29:20 PM, Korashk wrote:

This.

Even then, if a person has dog allergies that bad then they probably take medicine to control their body's reaction. Hell, OTC Claratin is strong enough to completely eliminate my severe cat allergy when I visit my aunt and uncle. Plus, being in the same room as a dog for an hour isn't going to upset your allergies unless you're actually touching the dog.

What if the two have to stay around each other for long periods of time, such as at work and forced to work together for a project?
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 7:04:05 PM
Put him in the corner And point fans opposite of where he's sitting
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 7:11:50 PM
At 5/21/2011 6:52:42 PM, Yorble wrote:

This.

What if the two have to stay around each other for long periods of time, such as at work and forced to work together for a project?

Like I said, allergy medicine is really good at controlling reactions. I'm so allergic to cats that exposure to them sans Claratin D makes my eyes swell shut, my nasal passages clog up, and my throat to constrict to the point where I have trouble breathing.

With Dlaratin D I can spend extended amounts of time living at my aunt and uncle's house which is home to four cats and is fairly small with only mild discomfort.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Yorble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 7:17:20 PM
At 5/21/2011 7:11:50 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 5/21/2011 6:52:42 PM, Yorble wrote:

This.

Like I said, allergy medicine is really good at controlling reactions. I'm so allergic to cats that exposure to them sans Claratin D makes my eyes swell shut, my nasal passages clog up, and my throat to constrict to the point where I have trouble breathing.

With Dlaratin D I can spend extended amounts of time living at my aunt and uncle's house which is home to four cats and is fairly small with only mild discomfort.

Okay, thank you very much. I'm writing a paper on this topic and these comments gave me a good idea of the overall situation.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 8:01:49 PM
It's completely arbitrary. There's nothing that "should" be done.

What do I think the ideal solution, for the goal of maximum satisfaction, for everyone involved would be? Working it out so both can be there.

What if they can't both be there, as the point of the hypothetical would seem to assert? I would try to use some mechanism by which the level of suffering of each party could be accurately measured and make a decision based on that.

What if there is no such mechanism, as there probably isn't? If the ideal situation cannot be obtained then there's not much point in worrying about it, is there? Flip a damn coin. This is, after all, an individual circumstance.

Now, what if it is not an individual circumstance? What if the question is about implementing a procedure used on a large scale? Then there would be some point to figuring it out. Of course, in this extended scenario I think we would be worrying completely about the wrong thing. If there is such an epidemic of people needing service-dogs and people with dog allergies, whether or not these things are a metaphor for something else, I think the solution is not figure out which we favor over the other but how to stop such a circumstance from occurring in the first place.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Yorble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 8:17:42 PM
At 5/21/2011 8:02:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I officially looked way too deeply into that.

It's perfect, actually. A bit of over-thinking, but that's the spirit!
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 9:11:40 PM
If I'm the gov't, I don't get involved. If I'm the restaurant owner--

what kind of restaurant am I operating?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Yorble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 9:22:11 PM
At 5/21/2011 9:11:40 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Hmmm, let's go with an IHOP or something like that.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 9:46:18 PM
At 5/21/2011 9:22:11 PM, Yorble wrote:
At 5/21/2011 9:11:40 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Hmmm, let's go with an IHOP or something like that.

In that sorta context, I tell Mr. allergies to man up.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 10:57:08 PM
At 5/21/2011 5:51:28 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Serious allergies can kill you.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 11:01:41 PM
At 5/21/2011 5:37:30 PM, Yorble wrote:

Who has the right to stay there?

It is no different than if both are perfectly fine and there is one seat left. First come first serve unless the owner decides otherwise.