Is it particular or universal?

Go.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 4:15:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Officially KFCing this thread, beauty differs from culture to culture so I say subjective in terms of individual preference but objective in the manner that society begins to display the ideal concept of beauty http://www.tv.com... .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 4:30:46 PM
I believe there to be beauty that is objective, or contain objective values such as symmetry and complimentary values, and elegance can be viewed as objective even in mathmatical terms. I believe that there are pieces of music that objectively beautiful, in that the pieces contain values essential to it that are objective.
Justin_Chains
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 5:24:31 PM
At 5/25/2011 4:09:11 PM, jar2187 wrote:
What is the metaphysics of beauty?

What is the epistemology of beauty?

Is it objective or subjective?

Is it particular or universal?

Go.

Beauty is both objective and subjective.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 5:51:18 PM
If you put enough ugly in one spot, there is a strange beauty in it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2011 8:09:00 AM
At 5/25/2011 4:30:46 PM, innomen wrote:
I believe there to be beauty that is objective, or contain objective values such as symmetry and complimentary values, and elegance can be viewed as objective even in mathmatical terms. I believe that there are pieces of music that objectively beautiful, in that the pieces contain values essential to it that are objective.

There have been a number of research projects on exactly this and related subjects such as using a computer to track elements of popular music and then create projected popular pieces. I think that is what made Friday incidently. Of course all that is being done here is to show elements of beauty/desire are universal (or very close to it).