Jump to topic:

Principle vs. Pragmatism

Fabian_CH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 5:29:13 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm currently reading "Les Mains sales" (Dirty Hands; Jean-Paul Sartre) in French class. If you've read it, or heard of it, you know that pragmatism vs. principle is a major theme in it.

So of course the teacher asked what we thought about it. I said that there was nothing wrong with sticking to certain ideals and principles without compromise, but those ideals need to correspond to reality. If they contradict reality, they are by definition wrong, and to pursue those kinds of ideals would be just as wrong, especially if one openly admits (i.e. understands) that they conflict with reality.

My teacher in turn (I'm not sure if he understood my point; French isn't my strongest subject, I always struggle for words) claimed that this was a fairly "pragmatic" view.

Thoughts?
"What are we doing? Do we want to feed a starved humanity in order to let it live? Or do we want to strangle its life in order to feed it?"
- Andrei Taganov, We The Living (Ayn Rand)
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 4:52:34 PM
My question to you is this....

Do you believe it is acceptable based on the fact that everyone has different acceptable realities or the fact that there is only one acceptable reality?
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."

- Lionheart -
Fabian_CH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 5:01:20 PM
Umm... I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you mean. "It", as in a principle, an ideal?

But yes, there is only one reality.
"What are we doing? Do we want to feed a starved humanity in order to let it live? Or do we want to strangle its life in order to feed it?"
- Andrei Taganov, We The Living (Ayn Rand)