Jump to topic:

Moral skepticism

Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 5:23:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Who else's parents totally freaked out when you told them that you didn't find anything morally wrong with torturing babies for fun?
My manwich!
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 6:02:34 PM
Babies are shapeless bags of fat who piss, sh!t, cry, and do nothing useful. I'm not really a sadist though, and torturing babies sounds like it would just bring about more piss, sh!t, and noise in a shorter period of time.

Torturing babies is like chugging a 40 of Axehead or something. It's kind of a sh!tty thing to do, and you are likely to vomit afterwards.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 6:03:37 PM
Also, you're going to hell.

You s!ck baby torturing fvck.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 6:19:04 PM
At 5/29/2011 5:23:17 PM, Merda wrote:
Who else's parents totally freaked out when you told them that you didn't find anything morally wrong with torturing babies for fun?

Not very smart of you.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 6:50:18 PM

What? No, more importantly - why would you tell them this?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 7:02:13 PM
At 5/29/2011 6:50:18 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

What? No, more importantly - why would you tell them this?

We like debating on philosophy and politics. And it came up once. My dad was trying to prove a point by saying if I believe X than I also believe that there is nothing wrong with torturing babies for fun. And then I was like ummm.....
My manwich!
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 8:11:47 PM
At 5/29/2011 8:05:52 PM, headphonegut wrote:
What was X?

Obviously that one should live life for the fulfillment of ones own happiness.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 9:29:01 PM

Did you explain the concept of moral nihilism first?
If they awoke to you standing over their bed with a cold stare and a crazy grin and you just came out with it... I could see them freaking out.

Otherwise, you probably didn't explain your position right. My dad couldn't conceive of a world without morality until I asked him to name one objective moral truth. I just did a Cody_Franklin on him every time he named something.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:04:03 AM
At 5/29/2011 9:29:01 PM, tvellalott wrote:

If they awoke to you standing over their bed with a cold stare and a crazy grin and you just came out with it... I could see them freaking out.

Otherwise, you probably didn't explain your position right. My dad couldn't conceive of a world without morality until I asked him to name one objective moral truth. I just did a Cody_Franklin on him every time he named something.

OK so you can show that torturing babies is not immoral then? How do you and Cody go about that, exactly? I'm not a confused commoner; I handle moral relativists as easily as they handle commonfolk.
kfc
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:09:00 AM
At 5/30/2011 12:04:03 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

OK so you can show that torturing babies is not immoral then? How do you and Cody go about that, exactly? I'm not a confused commoner; I handle moral relativists as easily as they handle commonfolk.

I'm a nihilist, not a relativist.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:09:48 AM

What does it mean to "do a Cody_Franklin", exactly? I 'm flattered to have a debate move named after me, but I'm curious.
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:15:06 AM
At 5/30/2011 12:04:03 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

Same as what Cody said. We're moral nihilists not relativists.
My manwich!
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:16:37 AM
At 5/30/2011 12:09:48 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

What does it mean to "do a Cody_Franklin", exactly? I 'm flattered to have a debate move named after me, but I'm curious.

http://www.debate.org...
This is what I call doing a Cody Franklin.
My manwich!
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:19:32 AM
In moral nihilism, nothing is immoral.. Nothing is moral either.. It is an absurd question.

Technically, I'm a moral nihilist.. Or more accurately, a moral absurdist. I don't believe in morals, yet I have morals. Because of the fact that I am aware of the fact that there are no morals, my idea of morality is very different, and probably not considered morality to most.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:27:00 AM
At 5/30/2011 12:16:37 AM, Merda wrote:

http://www.debate.org...
This is what I call doing a Cody Franklin.

Ahhh, yes.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:29:20 AM
I have a few questions about moral skepticism.

Is stealing immoral?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:31:19 AM
At 5/30/2011 12:29:20 AM, jharry wrote:

Is stealing immoral?

A skeptic denies the possibility of moral knowledge. So, a skeptic wouldn't say "yes" or "no", but would say that you can never claim either with certainty, because either constitutes a claim to moral knowledge.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:35:21 AM
At 5/30/2011 12:31:19 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Is stealing immoral?

A skeptic denies the possibility of moral knowledge. So, a skeptic wouldn't say "yes" or "no", but would say that you can never claim either with certainty, because either constitutes a claim to moral knowledge.

Would you call the police in an effort to retrieve a valuable if it were stolen?
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:37:33 AM

Is stealing immoral?

A moral skeptic would say what Cody did. A moral nihilist would say that stealing is neither moral or immoral.
My manwich!
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:38:21 AM
At 5/30/2011 12:35:21 AM, jharry wrote:

Is stealing immoral?

Would you call the police in an effort to retrieve a valuable if it were stolen?

Substituting "police" for whatever AnCap term--"security firm", etc.--I would indeed call them up.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:38:49 AM

It's when you know a crap load more about the subject than the person you're discussing the subject with and completely bombard them with logic and well-thought out arguments that they hadn't even considered and/or explain why their doubts are stupid..

Not trying to suck up your arse, but you've done this to me several times regarding moral nihilism.

Muh threads
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:38:51 AM
At 5/30/2011 12:37:33 AM, Merda wrote:

Is stealing immoral?

A moral skeptic would say what Cody did. A moral nihilist would say that stealing is neither moral or immoral.

Would you all the police in an effort to get your valuables back if they were stolen?
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:40:36 AM
At 5/30/2011 12:38:51 AM, jharry wrote:

Is stealing immoral?

Would you all the police in an effort to get your valuables back if they were stolen?

Sure.
My manwich!
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:42:45 AM
At 5/30/2011 12:38:21 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Is stealing immoral?

Substituting "police" for whatever AnCap term--"security firm", etc.--I would indeed call them up.

Oh sorry, I will play along with your imaginary world. So you would call the publicly paid police.

If one of your family members, close friend was murdered would you cooperate with the publicly funded police in catching the murderer?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:44:35 AM
At 5/30/2011 12:42:45 AM, jharry wrote:
At 5/30/2011 12:38:21 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Is stealing immoral?

Oh sorry, I will play along with your imaginary world. So you would call the publicly paid police.

Thanks! I like to play pretend. :)

If one of your family members, close friend was murdered would you cooperate with the publicly funded police in catching the murderer?

If I'm paying some company to do the job, of course I'm going to cooperate. Otherwise, I'm just wasting money.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:44:57 AM
At 5/30/2011 12:38:51 AM, jharry wrote:

Is stealing immoral?

What does that have to do with the morality of the act? Morality is just a buzz word for whatever each individual finds to be undesirable. Should we just call everything we find undesirable immoral?

Muh threads
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 12:45:23 AM
At 5/30/2011 12:38:49 AM, tvellalott wrote:

It's when you know a crap load more about the subject than the person you're discussing the subject with and completely bombard them with logic and well-thought out arguments that they hadn't even considered and/or explain why their doubts are stupid..

Not trying to suck up your arse, but you've done this to me several times regarding moral nihilism.

This is why I'm such an egotist. :P