Total Posts:33|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What Do/Should People Value Most?

Qynze
Posts: 31
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 8:35:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Friends, family? God, religion? Life, death? Anything.

Extra:
How do/should people act upon these values and how do/should they influence people?
Charlie Eppes: Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Colby Granger: Uhhh... no.
----------
NUMB3RS
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 2:07:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 8:35:36 PM, Qynze wrote:
Friends, family? God, religion? Life, death? Anything.


Extra:
How do/should people act upon these values and how do/should they influence people?

Top priority is defending your existence as a conscious soul.
Merda
Posts: 322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 2:24:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 8:35:36 PM, Qynze wrote:
Friends, family? God, religion? Life, death? Anything.


Extra:
How do/should people act upon these values and how do/should they influence people?

Depends on your ethical outlook.
Utilitarian-- Common good
Religious-- Serving god, converting others, exc.
Altruist-- Helping others above all else.
Egoist-- Satisfying one's self interest above all else.

Asking what people should value most is simply an open invitation for people to come in and force their views on others.
My manwich!
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 2:40:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 2:24:57 PM, Merda wrote:
Asking what people should value most is simply an open invitation for people to come in and force their views on others.

Sounds to me like you have some underlying ethical beliefs there.
Merda
Posts: 322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 5:19:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 2:40:37 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 6/2/2011 2:24:57 PM, Merda wrote:
Asking what people should value most is simply an open invitation for people to come in and force their views on others.

Sounds to me like you have some underlying ethical beliefs there.

How is that? I don't want others forcing their beliefs on me. I never said that is was immoral or unethical.
My manwich!
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 5:29:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 5:16:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why value anything?

Because that is how our brains function. Another question could be, why not value anything?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 5:30:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 5:16:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why value anything?

Oh Ann, you're such a downer.

I value pleasure more than anything. From masturbating to doing a good deed, it's all about pleasure and satisfaction.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 5:32:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 5:30:42 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:16:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why value anything?

Oh Ann, you're such a downer.

I value pleasure more than anything. From masturbating to doing a good deed, it's all about pleasure and satisfaction.

why value pleasure? lol, jk.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 5:33:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 5:32:24 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:30:42 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:16:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why value anything?

Oh Ann, you're such a downer.

I value pleasure more than anything. From masturbating to doing a good deed, it's all about pleasure and satisfaction.

why value pleasure? lol, jk.

COZ IT FEELS GOOD BABY!
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Merda
Posts: 322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 5:35:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 2:40:37 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 6/2/2011 2:24:57 PM, Merda wrote:
Asking what people should value most is simply an open invitation for people to come in and force their views on others.

Sounds to me like you have some underlying ethical beliefs there.

Value =/= ethical beliefs

One could say that I'm a hedonist or an egoist because I pursue pleasure, but it differs from an ethical belief in that I have not fooled myself into thinking(nor do I intend to fool others into thinking) that what I am doing is 'right' or 'moral'.
My manwich!
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 5:37:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 5:19:59 PM, Merda wrote:
At 6/2/2011 2:40:37 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 6/2/2011 2:24:57 PM, Merda wrote:
Asking what people should value most is simply an open invitation for people to come in and force their views on others.

Sounds to me like you have some underlying ethical beliefs there.

How is that? I don't want others forcing their beliefs on me. I never said that is was immoral or unethical.

You don't have to "say" something is immoral or moral to be making a moral statement.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 5:40:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 5:35:23 PM, Merda wrote:
At 6/2/2011 2:40:37 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 6/2/2011 2:24:57 PM, Merda wrote:
Asking what people should value most is simply an open invitation for people to come in and force their views on others.

Sounds to me like you have some underlying ethical beliefs there.

Value =/= ethical beliefs

They are not equal, but they are tied together.


One could say that I'm a hedonist or an egoist because I pursue pleasure, but it differs from an ethical belief in that I have not fooled myself into thinking(nor do I intend to fool others into thinking) that what I am doing is 'right' or 'moral'.

Your brain does. In order to "want" to do something, your brain has to place value in it. In order to place value into it, your brain has to have a code of what is right and wrong (what is worthy of placing value and what is not), i.e. a moral code.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 5:45:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 5:30:42 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:16:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why value anything?

Oh Ann, you're such a downer.

Of course I am.

I value pleasure more than anything. From masturbating to doing a good deed, it's all about pleasure and satisfaction.

Pleasure is preferable, definitely. But why should I value it?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 5:50:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 5:29:56 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:16:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why value anything?

Because that is how our brains function.

Lolwut?

Another question could be, why not value anything?

Because I rarely support delusion and I see no reason why this time would be any different.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 5:50:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 5:47:57 PM, nerdykiller wrote:
People should value life. :P

Why?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 5:53:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 5:50:12 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:29:56 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:16:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why value anything?

Because that is how our brains function.

Lolwut?

Our brains are designed to assign values to things.


Another question could be, why not value anything?

Because I rarely support delusion and I see no reason why this time would be any different.

But you are delusional, you can't help it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 5:55:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 5:53:18 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:50:12 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:29:56 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:16:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why value anything?

Because that is how our brains function.

Lolwut?

Our brains are designed to assign values to things.

Evidence, please.


Another question could be, why not value anything?

Because I rarely support delusion and I see no reason why this time would be any different.

But you are delusional, you can't help it.

By recognizing it AS delusion (and thus accepting the reality of the situation), I'm no longer delusional.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 6:05:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 5:55:40 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:53:18 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:50:12 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:29:56 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:16:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why value anything?

Because that is how our brains function.

Lolwut?

Our brains are designed to assign values to things.

Evidence, please.

Why should I bother? Do you value evidence?



Another question could be, why not value anything?

Because I rarely support delusion and I see no reason why this time would be any different.

But you are delusional, you can't help it.

By recognizing it AS delusion (and thus accepting the reality of the situation), I'm no longer delusional.

Actually, unless you are all knowing, then there are things of which you don't know. Since you cannot control your subconscious and primary emotions, you'll naturally develop beliefs about things once you hear about them. You may consciously say "I hold no belief," but your brain still does, and unless every belief is correct, the incorrect ones are "delusional" (the belief in something that is false).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 6:09:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 6:05:09 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:55:40 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:53:18 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:50:12 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:29:56 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:16:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why value anything?

Because that is how our brains function.

Lolwut?

Our brains are designed to assign values to things.

Evidence, please.

Why should I bother? Do you value evidence?

LOL. Because if you assert something without evidence, it is merely an unsubstantiated assertion -- and how does that lend to a productive debate? Well, it doesn't, which is the opposite of the purpose of this site. Even though I don't value my time, I could spend it debating someone who actually provides evidence for what they claim, rather than just hoping I take it as a fact because you stated it in an assertive way.



Another question could be, why not value anything?

Because I rarely support delusion and I see no reason why this time would be any different.

But you are delusional, you can't help it.

By recognizing it AS delusion (and thus accepting the reality of the situation), I'm no longer delusional.

Actually, unless you are all knowing, then there are things of which you don't know. Since you cannot control your subconscious and primary emotions, you'll naturally develop beliefs about things once you hear about them. You may consciously say "I hold no belief," but your brain still does, and unless every belief is correct, the incorrect ones are "delusional" (the belief in something that is false).

How can non-belief be a belief?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 6:13:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 5:45:29 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:30:42 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:16:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why value anything?

Oh Ann, you're such a downer.

Of course I am.

I value pleasure more than anything. From masturbating to doing a good deed, it's all about pleasure and satisfaction.

Pleasure is preferable, definitely. But why should I value it?

You should value the preferable. :P
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 6:16:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 6:13:55 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:45:29 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:30:42 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:16:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why value anything?

Oh Ann, you're such a downer.

Of course I am.

I value pleasure more than anything. From masturbating to doing a good deed, it's all about pleasure and satisfaction.

Pleasure is preferable, definitely. But why should I value it?

You should value the preferable. :P

1. Why should I? Is that an ethical assertion, tvellalott? :P
2. Simply being preferable is good enough for me -- I do not need to ascribe value to it.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 6:17:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 6:09:22 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 6:05:09 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:55:40 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:53:18 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:50:12 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:29:56 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:16:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why value anything?

Because that is how our brains function.

Lolwut?

Our brains are designed to assign values to things.

Evidence, please.

Why should I bother? Do you value evidence?

LOL. Because if you assert something without evidence, it is merely an unsubstantiated assertion -- and how does that lend to a productive debate? Well, it doesn't, which is the opposite of the purpose of this site. Even though I don't value my time, I could spend it debating someone who actually provides evidence for what they claim, rather than just hoping I take it as a fact because you stated it in an assertive way.

So you admit that you do value it. If you don't value it, then you can't value not having it (e.g. you won't care either way).




Another question could be, why not value anything?

Because I rarely support delusion and I see no reason why this time would be any different.

But you are delusional, you can't help it.

By recognizing it AS delusion (and thus accepting the reality of the situation), I'm no longer delusional.

Actually, unless you are all knowing, then there are things of which you don't know. Since you cannot control your subconscious and primary emotions, you'll naturally develop beliefs about things once you hear about them. You may consciously say "I hold no belief," but your brain still does, and unless every belief is correct, the incorrect ones are "delusional" (the belief in something that is false).

How can non-belief be a belief?

difference between conscious belief and subconscious belief. I can consciously say "I am a girl," that doesn't make it true, and I can consciously say "I don't believe in santa," that doesn't make it true.

Here, I'll help.

http://psycnet.apa.org...
http://www.akademiai.com...

It's actually interesting how little control of our bodies we actually have (including our brain).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 6:19:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 6:16:00 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 6:13:55 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:45:29 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:30:42 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:16:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why value anything?

Oh Ann, you're such a downer.

Of course I am.

I value pleasure more than anything. From masturbating to doing a good deed, it's all about pleasure and satisfaction.

Pleasure is preferable, definitely. But why should I value it?

You should value the preferable. :P

1. Why should I? Is that an ethical assertion, tvellalott? :P
2. Simply being preferable is good enough for me -- I do not need to ascribe value to it.

You already did. By it being preferable, it has to have value to you.

e.g. X is more valuable than no-X, so I prefer X. If X has no value, and no-X has no value, there is no preference.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 6:27:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 6:17:20 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 6:09:22 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 6:05:09 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:55:40 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:53:18 PM, OreEle wrote:
Our brains are designed to assign values to things.

Evidence, please.

Why should I bother? Do you value evidence?

LOL. Because if you assert something without evidence, it is merely an unsubstantiated assertion -- and how does that lend to a productive debate? Well, it doesn't, which is the opposite of the purpose of this site. Even though I don't value my time, I could spend it debating someone who actually provides evidence for what they claim, rather than just hoping I take it as a fact because you stated it in an assertive way.

So you admit that you do value it. If you don't value it, then you can't value not having it (e.g. you won't care either way).

LOL. When did I say I value anything? I'm simply asking for proof. If you can't provide anything, than your original point is BS just like I thought. It would have been nice to actually debate what you asserted but obviously that won't happen since you fail to understand the purpose of evidence.

And I don't care either way -- it was merely a request. One that you should be accustomed to after being on this site for awhile.




Another question could be, why not value anything?

Because I rarely support delusion and I see no reason why this time would be any different.

But you are delusional, you can't help it.

By recognizing it AS delusion (and thus accepting the reality of the situation), I'm no longer delusional.

Actually, unless you are all knowing, then there are things of which you don't know. Since you cannot control your subconscious and primary emotions, you'll naturally develop beliefs about things once you hear about them. You may consciously say "I hold no belief," but your brain still does, and unless every belief is correct, the incorrect ones are "delusional" (the belief in something that is false).

How can non-belief be a belief?

difference between conscious belief and subconscious belief. I can consciously say "I am a girl," that doesn't make it true, and I can consciously say "I don't believe in santa," that doesn't make it true.

Here, I'll help.

http://psycnet.apa.org...
http://www.akademiai.com...

It's actually interesting how little control of our bodies we actually have (including our brain).

So your point is that my subconscious ascribes value to X while my conscious mind denies the validity of such ascriptions?

Well, if I'm not in control of my subconscious mind, I'm more inclined to focus on my conscious mind. And since my conscious mind denies intrinsic value and the validity of subjective value, I fail to see why your point matters in light of the OP.

If our minds subconsciously ascribes value to possessions or items, why should our conscious mind do so?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 6:29:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 6:19:07 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 6:16:00 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 6:13:55 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:45:29 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:30:42 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:16:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why value anything?

Oh Ann, you're such a downer.

Of course I am.

I value pleasure more than anything. From masturbating to doing a good deed, it's all about pleasure and satisfaction.

Pleasure is preferable, definitely. But why should I value it?

You should value the preferable. :P

1. Why should I? Is that an ethical assertion, tvellalott? :P
2. Simply being preferable is good enough for me -- I do not need to ascribe value to it.

You already did. By it being preferable, it has to have value to you.

e.g. X is more valuable than no-X, so I prefer X. If X has no value, and no-X has no value, there is no preference.

Haha, that is priceless...

Your assertion is predicated on the assumption that I value X more than no-X, which is simply not true. I can have a preference for orange juice but not value it any more than apple juice. A preference is not equal to a conscious choice to VALUE the preference.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 6:44:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 6:29:58 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 6:19:07 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 6:16:00 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 6:13:55 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:45:29 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:30:42 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:16:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why value anything?

Oh Ann, you're such a downer.

Of course I am.

I value pleasure more than anything. From masturbating to doing a good deed, it's all about pleasure and satisfaction.

Pleasure is preferable, definitely. But why should I value it?

You should value the preferable. :P

1. Why should I? Is that an ethical assertion, tvellalott? :P
2. Simply being preferable is good enough for me -- I do not need to ascribe value to it.

You already did. By it being preferable, it has to have value to you.

e.g. X is more valuable than no-X, so I prefer X. If X has no value, and no-X has no value, there is no preference.

Haha, that is priceless...

Your assertion is predicated on the assumption that I value X more than no-X, which is simply not true. I can have a preference for orange juice but not value it any more than apple juice. A preference is not equal to a conscious choice to VALUE the preference.

sneaky little straw man... "A preference is not equal to a conscious choice to VALUE the preference."

Never said it had to be a "conscious choice," infact, I've been saying the entire time that it is often subconscious choice.

And in order to choose the OJ, you have to value it (or more accurately, value the consumption of it) over the other options.

If you are thristy, the first thing you do is weigh the "value" of thirst (thirst = X, so the value of X vs the value of no-X), then you have to assign a value to the effort of switching from X to no-X (is the energy spent, which must be valued, worth turning X into no-X).

Say that is getting up and walking to the frige, opening the frige, and pouring a glass to drink. It is minor energy and time, and so worth it. When you open the frige, you must decide what to grab, the OJ (orange juice) or AJ (apple juice). If they are right next to each other (so no difference of energy spent), your value switches to taste, namely to which taste seems more valuable at the time (since tastes can change based on less than the tempurature of the room).

In all of that, your brain makes many many value calculations.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 6:58:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/2/2011 6:27:41 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 6:17:20 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 6:09:22 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 6:05:09 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:55:40 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 6/2/2011 5:53:18 PM, OreEle wrote:
Our brains are designed to assign values to things.

Evidence, please.

Why should I bother? Do you value evidence?

LOL. Because if you assert something without evidence, it is merely an unsubstantiated assertion -- and how does that lend to a productive debate? Well, it doesn't, which is the opposite of the purpose of this site. Even though I don't value my time, I could spend it debating someone who actually provides evidence for what they claim, rather than just hoping I take it as a fact because you stated it in an assertive way.

So you admit that you do value it. If you don't value it, then you can't value not having it (e.g. you won't care either way).

LOL. When did I say I value anything? I'm simply asking for proof. If you can't provide anything, than your original point is BS just like I thought. It would have been nice to actually debate what you asserted but obviously that won't happen since you fail to understand the purpose of evidence.

And I don't care either way -- it was merely a request. One that you should be accustomed to after being on this site for awhile.

I'm fully accustomed to proof, I have several links in other windows, but there is no reason for you to ask for something unless you have value for it.

If you have no value for it, then value = 0 and so the value of not having it = 0, and the difference in value of having it and not having it = 0. Why should you even waste the energy to request something that has a delta value of 0?

In order to request something or to want something, you have to value it (you cannot want something that you don't value). By simply requesting it, you are proving the point that you value things.





Another question could be, why not value anything?

Because I rarely support delusion and I see no reason why this time would be any different.

But you are delusional, you can't help it.

By recognizing it AS delusion (and thus accepting the reality of the situation), I'm no longer delusional.

Actually, unless you are all knowing, then there are things of which you don't know. Since you cannot control your subconscious and primary emotions, you'll naturally develop beliefs about things once you hear about them. You may consciously say "I hold no belief," but your brain still does, and unless every belief is correct, the incorrect ones are "delusional" (the belief in something that is false).

How can non-belief be a belief?

difference between conscious belief and subconscious belief. I can consciously say "I am a girl," that doesn't make it true, and I can consciously say "I don't believe in santa," that doesn't make it true.

Here, I'll help.

http://psycnet.apa.org...
http://www.akademiai.com...

It's actually interesting how little control of our bodies we actually have (including our brain).

So your point is that my subconscious ascribes value to X while my conscious mind denies the validity of such ascriptions?

Yes, but those subconcious actions make their way into everything you do when you do not conciously think about them. Classic example, while typeing this, I don't conciously think about where each individual letter is on the keyboard, and I don't conciously think (index finger, apply pressure to that key), it all happens subconciously to fulfill my concious desire to make this post. But it all roots back into the subconcious.

It is also subconscious that I keep forgetting the "s" in the middle of "conscious" but this time I'm too lazy to correct them all.


Well, if I'm not in control of my subconscious mind, I'm more inclined to focus on my conscious mind. And since my conscious mind denies intrinsic value and the validity of subjective value, I fail to see why your point matters in light of the OP.

If our minds subconsciously ascribes value to possessions or items, why should our conscious mind do so?

It doesn't as long as your consciously think about every action you take. But you don't consciously think about every single action you do. You don't think about which muscles to tighten to smile, or frown, or type, or almost anything. I don't even know how many muscles are used to for me to crack my knuckles, but my subconcious knows, and is able to do it. If you had to consciously control your muscles, it would be like trying to work a backhoe that have 100's of pistons, rather than 3, and we know how slow they move as it is, even with a trained driver (who is conciously using it).

Your conscious is rooted in the sub conscious. We can see this because the more acustom you get to doing something the less conscious thought it takes and it is able to slip into the subsconscious, thus proving that there is at least a link between the two.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"