Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

The Boy and The Flower

Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2011 10:12:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
One day, a small boy was frolicking in a field of flowers. He looked down upon a flower and asked "Flower, why do you grow and make your leaves long and colorful?". The flower responded "So the bees can come and take my polen, and so I can soak up the sun". The flower then asked the little boy "Why do you wake up, and grow big and tall?" The little boy said, "Well, I don't know, I will grow up, get a job and have kids, but I dont have a purpose like you." The flower said "Then why do you stay alive, if you have no purpose?". "Well" said the boy, "I do have a purpose, my purpose is to have kids so my family continues". The flower replied, "But why? So your kids can come back to this very same spot with the same question? Then We're back to square-one". 

The boy thought for a while and stated "Well, I don't have a reason for living, so why do I go through the trouble? I'm going to end myself right now." The little boy picked up a stone and was about to hit his head when the flower intervened "Stop, dont do it! You have your whole life in front of you...actually nevermind. Kill yourself."

The boy smiled, he smiled even wider. Then he laughed, and he laughed for a while. "Fvck it" said the boy "I'm going to experience life for myself, not for you, not for my children, but for me." The boy then lifted his foot, and stepped on the flower, and ground it to little bits.
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2011 10:17:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/3/2011 10:12:39 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
One day, a small boy was frolicking in a field of flowers. He looked down upon a flower and asked "Flower, why do you grow and make your leaves long and colorful?". The flower responded "So the bees can come and take my polen, and so I can soak up the sun". The flower then asked the little boy "Why do you wake up, and grow big and tall?" The little boy said, "Well, I don't know, I will grow up, get a job and have kids, but I dont have a purpose like you." The flower said "Then why do you stay alive, if you have no purpose?". "Well" said the boy, "I do have a purpose, my purpose is to have kids so my family continues". The flower replied, "But why? So your kids can come back to this very same spot with the same question? Then We're back to square-one". 

The boy thought for a while and stated "Well, I don't have a reason for living, so why do I go through the trouble? I'm going to end myself right now." The little boy picked up a stone and was about to hit his head when the flower intervened "Stop, dont do it! You have your whole life in front of you...actually nevermind. Kill yourself."

The boy smiled, he smiled even wider. Then he laughed, and he laughed for a while. "Fvck it" said the boy "I'm going to experience life for myself, not for you, not for my children, but for me." The boy then lifted his foot, and stepped on the flower, and ground it to little bits.

Awesome.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 12:41:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
They both described the same thing.

The flower is growing to survive and reproduce. Catching sun, and spreading pollen.

The boy is growing to survive and reproduce. Get a job, and have kids.

The flower is placing some kind of special importance on its own existence and fabricated meaning. The flower is judging others without first looking at himself.

The last words of the flower set something off in the boy's brain that allowed him to make sense of, and resolve the dissonance brought on by his little grapple with the absurd.

http://files.myopera.com...
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CGBSpender
Posts: 82
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 7:34:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
A boy walks into a field. In the field is a straw man. The straw man provides for the boy a weak teleogical argument that somehow puts down individualism. This makes the boy sad. The straw man laughs and, as all straw man do, provides a haphazard conclusion to a complex debate based on next to nothing. The boy stops being sad and instead becomes happily murderous. Everyone feels better.
Ogan
Posts: 407
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 8:20:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I feel sorry for the flower and anyone else who gets in his way, especially if he should get into office when he grows up. But yes, do it for yourself… but make damn sure the Horse doesn't rule the Rider in process!
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 11:13:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/4/2011 12:41:12 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
They both described the same thing.

The flower is growing to survive and reproduce. Catching sun, and spreading pollen.

The boy is growing to survive and reproduce. Get a job, and have kids.

The flower is placing some kind of special importance on its own existence and fabricated meaning. The flower is judging others without first looking at himself.

The last words of the flower set something off in the boy's brain that allowed him to make sense of, and resolve the dissonance brought on by his little grapple with the absurd.



The flower represents purpose. At first the boy tries to replicate it, then he feels hopeless, then he embraces the absurd and murders purpose.
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 11:15:39 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/4/2011 7:34:59 AM, CGBSpender wrote:
A boy walks into a field. In the field is a straw man. The straw man provides for the boy a weak teleogical argument that somehow puts down individualism. This makes the boy sad. The straw man laughs and, as all straw man do, provides a haphazard conclusion to a complex debate based on next to nothing. The boy stops being sad and instead becomes happily murderous. Everyone feels better.

A member walks into a post and says ow.
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 11:23:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/3/2011 10:12:39 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
One day, a small boy was frolicking in a field of flowers. He looked down upon a flower and asked "Flower, why do you grow and make your leaves long and colorful?". The flower responded "So the bees can come and take my polen, and so I can soak up the sun". The flower then asked the little boy "Why do you wake up, and grow big and tall?" The little boy said, "Well, I don't know, I will grow up, get a job and have kids, but I dont have a purpose like you." The flower said "Then why do you stay alive, if you have no purpose?". "Well" said the boy, "I do have a purpose, my purpose is to have kids so my family continues". The flower replied, "But why? So your kids can come back to this very same spot with the same question? Then We're back to square-one". 

The boy thought for a while and stated "Well, I don't have a reason for living, so why do I go through the trouble? I'm going to end myself right now." The little boy picked up a stone and was about to hit his head when the flower intervened "Stop, dont do it! You have your whole life in front of you...actually nevermind. Kill yourself."

The boy smiled, he smiled even wider. Then he laughed, and he laughed for a while. "Fvck it" said the boy "I'm going to experience life for myself, not for you, not for my children, but for me." The boy then lifted his foot, and stepped on the flower, and ground it to little bits.

I didn't like it: too cheesy, too amoral and I fully disagree with the messages which isn't a problem when the message is well delivered but in this case it isn't.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Rob1_Billion
Posts: 1,300
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 12:02:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I believe the higher truth it is hinting at is that you can't live all for today, and you can't live all for tomorrow. Therefore, it's best to spend half of your effort living in the here and now (enjoying yourself) and half of your effort preparing for the future (building, learning, etc.). Ignoring either side of the equation is nonsensical.
kfc
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 12:03:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/4/2011 12:38:37 AM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
Didn't happen to read Atlas Shrugged recently did you?

Oh, is that where this is from?
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 12:28:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/4/2011 11:13:57 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 6/4/2011 12:41:12 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
They both described the same thing.

The flower is growing to survive and reproduce. Catching sun, and spreading pollen.

The boy is growing to survive and reproduce. Get a job, and have kids.

The flower is placing some kind of special importance on its own existence and fabricated meaning. The flower is judging others without first looking at himself.

The last words of the flower set something off in the boy's brain that allowed him to make sense of, and resolve the dissonance brought on by his little grapple with the absurd.



The flower represents purpose. At first the boy tries to replicate it, then he feels hopeless, then he embraces the absurd and murders purpose.

Sexy
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CGBSpender
Posts: 82
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 12:32:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/4/2011 12:02:51 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
I believe the higher truth it is hinting at is that you can't live all for today, and you can't live all for tomorrow. Therefore, it's best to spend half of your effort living in the here and now (enjoying yourself) and half of your effort preparing for the future (building, learning, etc.). Ignoring either side of the equation is nonsensical.

If that were the message than why did the flower get crushed?
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 3:36:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/4/2011 12:03:41 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 6/4/2011 12:38:37 AM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
Didn't happen to read Atlas Shrugged recently did you?

Oh, is that where this is from?

No, he was commented on the cruel individualist pride he got out of it.

Rocky told me he made it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 3:36:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/4/2011 7:34:59 AM, CGBSpender wrote:
A boy walks into a field. In the field is a straw man. The straw man provides for the boy a weak teleogical argument that somehow puts down individualism. This makes the boy sad. The straw man laughs and, as all straw man do, provides a haphazard conclusion to a complex debate based on next to nothing. The boy stops being sad and instead becomes happily murderous. Everyone feels better.

LOL
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 3:46:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/4/2011 7:34:59 AM, CGBSpender wrote:
A boy walks into a field. In the field is a straw man. The straw man provides for the boy a weak teleogical argument that somehow puts down individualism. This makes the boy sad. The straw man laughs and, as all straw man do, provides a haphazard conclusion to a complex debate based on next to nothing. The boy stops being sad and instead becomes happily murderous. Everyone feels better.

You're epic. ^^
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 5:28:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/4/2011 7:34:59 AM, CGBSpender wrote:
A boy walks into a field. In the field is a straw man. The straw man provides for the boy a weak teleogical argument that somehow puts down individualism. This makes the boy sad. The straw man laughs and, as all straw man do, provides a haphazard conclusion to a complex debate based on next to nothing. The boy stops being sad and instead becomes happily murderous. Everyone feels better.

this made me lmao.

also i didn't know the cigarette smoking man was a member of ddo. welcome!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Rob1_Billion
Posts: 1,300
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 6:18:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/4/2011 12:32:33 PM, CGBSpender wrote:
At 6/4/2011 12:02:51 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
I believe the higher truth it is hinting at is that you can't live all for today, and you can't live all for tomorrow. Therefore, it's best to spend half of your effort living in the here and now (enjoying yourself) and half of your effort preparing for the future (building, learning, etc.). Ignoring either side of the equation is nonsensical.

If that were the message than why did the flower get crushed?

Because sometimes people make the choice to just say "fvck it" and live for the moment. I believe this is what the boy is doing. In practical terms, this could be choosing not to go to college, choosing not to be faithful, choosing not to save money for retirement, choosing not to follow rules, etc. The boy is frustrated with having to exercise restraint and frugality; about worrying about morality and long-term consequences. The story has some appeal because there is a certain element of 'living for the now' that is healthy, but I would say he is probably going to over-do it.
kfc
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2011 12:53:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/4/2011 6:18:59 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
At 6/4/2011 12:32:33 PM, CGBSpender wrote:
At 6/4/2011 12:02:51 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
I believe the higher truth it is hinting at is that you can't live all for today, and you can't live all for tomorrow. Therefore, it's best to spend half of your effort living in the here and now (enjoying yourself) and half of your effort preparing for the future (building, learning, etc.). Ignoring either side of the equation is nonsensical.

If that were the message than why did the flower get crushed?

Because sometimes people make the choice to just say "fvck it" and live for the moment. I believe this is what the boy is doing. In practical terms, this could be choosing not to go to college, choosing not to be faithful, choosing not to save money for retirement, choosing not to follow rules, etc. The boy is frustrated with having to exercise restraint and frugality; about worrying about morality and long-term consequences. The story has some appeal because there is a certain element of 'living for the now' that is healthy, but I would say he is probably going to over-do it.

lolno