Jump to topic:

Morality Cannot Exist Without Liberty

Hambone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 12:43:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Morality cannot exist without liberty. One has to be absolutely free in order to do something moral. For example, if I were to hold a gun to someone's head, let's call him Alan, and shout violently "DONATE TO THIS CHARITY RIGHT NOW, OR I'LL BLOW YOUR BRAINS OUT, ALAN, AND THEN MOVE ON TO YOUR FAMILY," it could not be said that were Alan to donate, as he likely would, that he would be considered "charitable," a moral quality (assuming of course that charitableness is indeed considered a virtue, as it almost universally is). Coercion eliminates moral responsibility for good and evil (if it can be proved that someone was coerced to break a law against their will, they are often acquitted).

This has practical applications with regard to social legislation and value voters. One shouldn't be able to apply laws to acting morally, as once those laws are in place, morality cannot be achieved, defeating the purpose altogether.
Hot and Dangerous
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 1:09:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Being charitable is not a virtue to me.
To me it is a way to make you feel better about yourself. Instead of giving 20 bucks to a charity, why not make (or vote for) a law that destroys poverty. My favorite republican quote is "Taking the Bush tax cuts off the rich means that the poor people get more money, I could just donate to charity! After all, I dont want to be forced to give up my money" Me: "Your not being forced to give up your money, your just doin what every other person in this country has to do, pay taxes.

Bush tax cuts are the most retarded piece of legislation ever written, but thats a different subject.