Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Left and Right, Good and Evil.

GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 2:52:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Knowing which way is left and right is basic common knowledge, however is knowing good from evil or evil from good equally as basic, or is it more complex?
If so, why, if not, why also.

Discuss.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 3:06:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Left and right are not really easy questions to answer either. There is no one "left" or "right". You can only establish these directions from a reference point. At the same time, you need to figure out what is considered to be the front, and what is considered to be the back.

I'm sure there are complex mathematical formulas that are built around around these silly and arbitrary human imaginings.

LEFT AND RIGHT ARE A FVCKING LIE!

...

lulwat?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 3:11:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Or maybe the direction an objecting is facing? How can you say what direction a tree is facing?

Thanks a lot man, now I'm going to be thinking about left and right all day.

Commie.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 3:52:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 3:11:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Or maybe the direction an objecting is facing? How can you say what direction a tree is facing?

Thanks a lot man, now I'm going to be thinking about left and right all day.

Commie.

I don't quite get your type, I really don't. It's a simple concept. < (Left) and > (Right).
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 4:07:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 3:52:01 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 6/18/2011 3:11:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Or maybe the direction an objecting is facing? How can you say what direction a tree is facing?

Thanks a lot man, now I'm going to be thinking about left and right all day.

Commie.

I don't quite get your type, I really don't. It's a simple concept. < (Left) and > (Right).

I am learning that posting anything different or radical on these forums will just get you the same garbage responses from the same kinds of people. There is very little intellectual exchange going on here on this site. I'm almost done with it actually. It's becoming a very closed minded and boring place to spend my time. Time to go be inspired somewhere else I guess....
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 4:29:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 4:07:05 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
At 6/18/2011 3:52:01 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 6/18/2011 3:11:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Or maybe the direction an objecting is facing? How can you say what direction a tree is facing?

Thanks a lot man, now I'm going to be thinking about left and right all day.

Commie.

I don't quite get your type, I really don't. It's a simple concept. < (Left) and > (Right).

I am learning that posting anything different or radical on these forums will just get you the same garbage responses from the same kinds of people. There is very little intellectual exchange going on here on this site. I'm almost done with it actually. It's becoming a very closed minded and boring place to spend my time. Time to go be inspired somewhere else I guess....

There is some intellectual talk still going on, but 3 years ago, when I joined, there was far more.
tornshoe92
Posts: 361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 4:42:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 4:07:05 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
At 6/18/2011 3:52:01 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 6/18/2011 3:11:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Or maybe the direction an objecting is facing? How can you say what direction a tree is facing?

Thanks a lot man, now I'm going to be thinking about left and right all day.

Commie.

I don't quite get your type, I really don't. It's a simple concept. < (Left) and > (Right).

I am learning that posting anything different or radical on these forums will just get you the same garbage responses from the same kinds of people. There is very little intellectual exchange going on here on this site. I'm almost done with it actually. It's becoming a very closed minded and boring place to spend my time. Time to go be inspired somewhere else I guess....

A majority of the different/radical ideas posted on this site are simply different for the sake of being different. Rarely have I seen "radical" ideas on this site that actually offer any revolutionary ideas. Usually its a previously mentioned idea rehashed in a more poetic and overly convoluted manner or just an elegant phrase with no coherent meaning intended to sound intellectual.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 5:58:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This topic is stupid, and so is everyone who posted in it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 5:58:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Oh wait... FVCK..

Oh hey, wait, point proven.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
gizmo1650
Posts: 39
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 10:56:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Left and right are in no way basic. We have a natural sense of orientation, however we are taught as children that the hand that makes an 'L' is on our left side.

In this way, morality is more basic, as evolution hard coded it into our brains.

However, left/right is simple, we have a left side and a right side. Determining good vs. bad is far more complex. Our brains naturally use a series of algorithms to estimate what the moral action is, however these often produce incorect results, and getting the correct result in complex circumstances is far more difficult that telling left vs. right.

Our moral algorithms also have a cultural part which can be equally arbitrary as left/right. For example it is considered by many people to be immoral to engage in homosexual behaviour. However, by anylizing animal behaviour (speccificly those species closely related to us) we see that other species openly engage in homosexual behaviuor, impling that it is not part of our natural morality, but rather our learned morality.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:38:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
telling the difference between left and right is easy (self evident really) but learning which label applies to which is difficult.

same with morality.

/super deep pithy analysis
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 12:19:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 12:56:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 2:52:49 PM, GodSands wrote:
Knowing which way is left and right is basic common knowledge, however is knowing good from evil or evil from good equally as basic, or is it more complex?

They are both equally as basic if you can draw the demarcation line and allow the definitions to have meaning. However that tends to be the problem. There is little agreement on points of reference in morality but few people argue about left right for obvious reasons as they are only an is whereas morality is an ought.

Cody for example will not only refuse to draw the line he will not even acknowledge the paper as existent. PCP will see the line as clear as most people see the paper. Kenyon draws half a line and waits for someone to challenge for him to finish or erase it. Cosmic will attempt to draw the line but it ends up as a Mobius Strip. Justin eats the paper.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 1:03:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 2:52:49 PM, GodSands wrote:
Knowing which way is left and right is basic common knowledge, however is knowing good from evil or evil from good equally as basic, or is it more complex?
If so, why, if not, why also.

Discuss.

1) Good is different from Evil
2) You can't explain that !!!
3) Therefore God did it
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 5:58:10 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/22/2011 12:56:04 AM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
At 6/18/2011 2:52:49 PM, GodSands wrote:
Knowing which way is left and right is basic common knowledge, however is knowing good from evil or evil from good equally as basic, or is it more complex?

They are both equally as basic if you can draw the demarcation line and allow the definitions to have meaning. However that tends to be the problem. There is little agreement on points of reference in morality but few people argue about left right for obvious reasons as they are only an is whereas morality is an ought.

Cody for example will not only refuse to draw the line he will not even acknowledge the paper as existent. PCP will see the line as clear as most people see the paper. Kenyon draws half a line and waits for someone to challenge for him to finish or erase it. Cosmic will attempt to draw the line but it ends up as a Mobius Strip. Justin eats the paper.

And Matt draws the line wherever he damn well pleases.. and everyone else complains: it can't be at Your Own whim!

and I say: Oh, But it IS.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 6:15:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
The way is forever nameless.
Unhewn wood is insignificant, yet noone in the world can master it.
If barons and kings could preserve it, the myriad creatures would all defer to them of their own accord;
Heaven and earth would unite and sweet dew would fall;
And the people would be peaceful and just though noone so decrees.
When unhewn wood is carved up, then there are names.
Now that there are names, Know enough to Stop!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 11:25:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/22/2011 6:15:51 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Now that there are names, Know enough to Stop!

Calling things left and right... Good and Evil.. is Naming them.

We tend to do this as we go along... and that's ok...

The problem lies in clinging to our Perspective bound notions as Absolutes when they're notions based in our Particular way of seeing things at a given time/Given conditions.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 11:31:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/22/2011 11:25:05 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 6/22/2011 6:15:51 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Now that there are names, Know enough to Stop!

Calling things left and right... Good and Evil.. is Naming them.

We tend to do this as we go along... and that's ok...

Naming/Discriminating particular "things" or categories...

The way we do so though is indeed bound up in our nature, and the world as it appears to us.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."