Top Philosophers

LeoL
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:38:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hello Everyone,

What are the top, and most acknowledged philosophers that I should research?

Philosophers concerning morality, politics, and pretty much life in general.

Thanks.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? -Douglas Adams
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:38:58 PM
At 6/18/2011 8:38:13 PM, LeoL wrote:
Hello Everyone,

What are the top, and most acknowledged philosophers that I should research?

Philosophers concerning morality, politics, and pretty much life in general.

Thanks.

Nietzche
Kant
Ben Tucker
Karl Marx
Kfc.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:48:12 PM
We've had this thread a lot. It's good to update though.

1. Me

2. Myself

3. I

4. Robert Anton Wilson

5. Alan Watts

6. Pyrrho of Elis

7. Siddhartha Gautama

8. Epicurus

9. David Hume

10. Albert Einstein

11. Albert Camus

12. Paul Tillich

13. Max Stirner

14. Jesus of Nazareth

15. Soren Kierkegaard

16. Zeno of Citium

17. Socrates

18. Frederich Nietzsche

19. Jean-Paul Sartre

20. Charlie Sheen
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
LeoL
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:51:41 PM
Thanks everyone. I like Freedo's suggestion of Charlie Sheen. xD
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? -Douglas Adams
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 10:13:42 PM
At 6/18/2011 9:49:23 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
1) Plato

Hands down the most overrated philosopher of all time. He would get eaten alive on DDO in any political philosophy debate.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 10:20:06 PM
At 6/18/2011 10:13:42 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
1) Plato

Hands down the most overrated philosopher of all time. He would get eaten alive on DDO in any political philosophy debate.

I would hope so. Newton would get eaten alive in a physics debate, but thankfully we have advanced.

I give Plato much respect for the fact that he had basically nothing to build off of (though some of his stuff, such as his political philosophy, was unforgivable). In terms of lasting value, Aristotle stands head and shoulders above the rest of the ancient Greeks.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 10:23:42 PM
I would say:
Kant, Aquinas, Aristotle, Descartes, Nietzsche, John Locke, Thomas Hobbes, Francis Bacon
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 10:27:04 PM
1) Plato

At least he wasn't as bad as Zeno (of Elea)
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 10:27:52 PM
The Homeless guy down the street, and Dave Chapelle.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 10:29:13 PM
At 6/18/2011 10:20:06 PM, Grape wrote:
1) Plato

I would hope so. Newton would get eaten alive in a physics debate, but thankfully we have advanced.

I don't think Plato is comparable to Newton. Aristotle certainly is, though.

I give Plato much respect for the fact that he had basically nothing to build off of (though some of his stuff, such as his political philosophy, was unforgivable).

Really? It took 2,400 years for libertarians to figure out that Plato's "good government is good" argument and the magic wand theory of statism are intellectually vacuous? His political philosophy isn't just bad, it's total garbage. I'm sure there were plenty of other, better thinkers before Plato. Our records from that time period aren't great.

In terms of lasting value, Aristotle stands head and shoulders above the rest of the ancient Greeks.

Agreed.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 10:34:12 PM
My appraisal, backed up by nothing but my own subjective opinion:

Guide:

Yes +1 = very important, influential, or just cool and worth checking out
Yes = good ideas that are of at least some importans
Meh = I have mixed feelings about this person's importance or the validity/relevance of their ideas but I would not discourage you from reading their work
No = reading this person's philosophy is not a productive use of time

At 6/18/2011 8:48:12 PM, FREEDO wrote:
We've had this thread a lot. It's good to update though.

1. Me

No.

2. Myself

No.

3. I

No.

4. Robert Anton Wilson

Meh.

5. Alan Watts

Meh.

6. Pyrrho of Elis

Never heard of him, no opinion.

7. Siddhartha Gautama

Yes.

8. Epicurus

Yes.

9. David Hume

Yes +1

10. Albert Einstein

No

11. Albert Camus

Yes +1

12. Paul Tillich

Never heard of him either.

13. Max Stirner

Yes

14. Jesus of Nazareth

Yes, with some reservations but too few for a "Meh"

15. Soren Kierkegaard

Yes

16. Zeno of Citium

Meh

17. Socrates

Meh. (but Yes from a historical perspective)

18. Frederich Nietzsche

Yes +1, though there's a thin line between genius and ridiculousness in his work

19. Jean-Paul Sartre

^See above^

20. Charlie Sheen

No.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 3:24:57 PM
Mencius, Rousseau, and Avicenna
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 9:31:31 AM
Plato wasn't useful for his conclusions, like you are asking him to be, he is useful for his process (hence the term "Socratic Method").

It's interesting you would imagine Plato on DDO... First off, he probably wouldn't take much of the dialogue here seriously. For one thing, he didn't believe people your age have any business debating philosophy (not before late twenties/early thirties anyway) because he didn't believe that you would have enough life experience to really digest the concepts. Take these political/economic debates we have, for example. You guys all assume you can just impose your Laissez-Fairre paradigms over society and defend attacks on it's efficacy in a piecemeal fashion as people point out its problems. These types of arguments prove nothing. You guys don't even address why things are the way they are today... why it is we have a large regulatory structure; why it is we have developed this way. There is a good reason Plato wouldn't take you seriously, and that's because you simply haven't seen why men do the things they do. You guys are book-smart, I'll give you that, but there is no substance under the economic quotes and the idealistic rantings.

If we had professionals from each field scrutinize the dialogue on here I don't think they would be very impressed. I am only studious in environmental policy, but I know that if I get very far into it that there won't be any answer to my questions. And why should there be? You can't be expected to give me the intricacies of my field in your idealistic economic paradigm. You can't tell the fisherman how the intricacies of his field will evolve under Laissez-Fairre, or tell the social worker, the concerned Christian parent, the soldier, the environmental planner, or the chemist how their professions will evolve under a state-less paradigm. You can't: you don't have the experience! If any one of them took off from their professions to sit in on one of these economic discussions, they would only do so to explain to you how things work in real life, outside of the classroom, and why your ideas don't address any of the problems they see on a daily basis from their professional standpoint. The simple idea of having a bunch of teenage/twenty-something kids assuming they have the world in the palm of their intellectual hands is hilarious! You guys, forty years from now, are going to look back at how cocky and argumentative you were and wonder how you could have possibly wanted to display that demeanor without the lessons you've now learned in the past forty years. Plato would only stick around here long enough to give out spankings and ask where your parents are.

With that said, I think DDO has some real potential. Many years from now, (when we find out if social networking sites like this even can survive that long), we should be more specialized and have more members. I'm hoping we will have sections of the site dedicated to certain disciplines with professionals manning the stations in each area. DDO could grow into an impressive thinktank when the prodigious-yet-unrefined community grows up. The people we have on here now will be the teachers and mentors of the future, and it is a shame that we (including myself) don't have an older generation on here (with the exception of a very small few) who can give us professional guidance in our respective areas of study. 20-30 years from now, DDO could become a place well-known for it's dynamic problem-solving abilities.
kfc
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:41:56 AM
At 6/20/2011 9:31:31 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Plato wasn't useful for his conclusions, like you are asking him to be, he is useful for his process (hence the term "Socratic Method").

It's interesting you would imagine Plato on DDO... First off, he probably wouldn't take much of the dialogue here seriously. For one thing, he didn't believe people your age have any business debating philosophy (not before late twenties/early thirties anyway) because he didn't believe that you would have enough life experience to really digest the concepts. Take these political/economic debates we have, for example. You guys all assume you can just impose your Laissez-Fairre paradigms over society and defend attacks on it's efficacy in a piecemeal fashion as people point out its problems. These types of arguments prove nothing. You guys don't even address why things are the way they are today... why it is we have a large regulatory structure; why it is we have developed this way. There is a good reason Plato wouldn't take you seriously, and that's because you simply haven't seen why men do the things they do. You guys are book-smart, I'll give you that, but there is no substance under the economic quotes and the idealistic rantings.

If we had professionals from each field scrutinize the dialogue on here I don't think they would be very impressed. I am only studious in environmental policy, but I know that if I get very far into it that there won't be any answer to my questions. And why should there be? You can't be expected to give me the intricacies of my field in your idealistic economic paradigm. You can't tell the fisherman how the intricacies of his field will evolve under Laissez-Fairre, or tell the social worker, the concerned Christian parent, the soldier, the environmental planner, or the chemist how their professions will evolve under a state-less paradigm. You can't: you don't have the experience! If any one of them took off from their professions to sit in on one of these economic discussions, they would only do so to explain to you how things work in real life, outside of the classroom, and why your ideas don't address any of the problems they see on a daily basis from their professional standpoint. The simple idea of having a bunch of teenage/twenty-something kids assuming they have the world in the palm of their intellectual hands is hilarious! You guys, forty years from now, are going to look back at how cocky and argumentative you were and wonder how you could have possibly wanted to display that demeanor without the lessons you've now learned in the past forty years. Plato would only stick around here long enough to give out spankings and ask where your parents are.

With that said, I think DDO has some real potential. Many years from now, (when we find out if social networking sites like this even can survive that long), we should be more specialized and have more members. I'm hoping we will have sections of the site dedicated to certain disciplines with professionals manning the stations in each area. DDO could grow into an impressive thinktank when the prodigious-yet-unrefined community grows up. The people we have on here now will be the teachers and mentors of the future, and it is a shame that we (including myself) don't have an older generation on here (with the exception of a very small few) who can give us professional guidance in our respective areas of study. 20-30 years from now, DDO could become a place well-known for it's dynamic problem-solving abilities.

I agree. DDO has potential, but only that...There are great debaters on this website, but honestly many of their wins are due to forfeitures and lack of participiation on the other side.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 12:21:28 PM

That gives me an idea. We should totally have roleplay debates on DDO.
LeoL
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 12:36:05 PM
At 6/20/2011 12:21:28 PM, Kinesis wrote:

That would be interesting.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 12:39:59 PM
Siddhartha Gautama (The Buddha)

Martin Heidegger

Alan Watts

Krishnamurti

David Hume

Chuang Tzu and Lao Tzu
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 1:18:58 PM
At 6/20/2011 12:36:05 PM, LeoL wrote:

Yep, but I don't know if the community would accept it. Who do you think could be Plato on this website? Aristotle? Mencius? Kant? and etc.

LeoL
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 1:43:31 PM
At 6/20/2011 1:18:58 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Yep, but I don't know if the community would accept it. Who do you think could be Plato on this website? Aristotle? Mencius? Kant? and etc.

I don't know, because I don't know everyone enough :P
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 1:51:20 PM
At 6/20/2011 1:43:31 PM, LeoL wrote:

I don't know, because I don't know everyone enough :P

Well, I guess it would be hard...since to assume a completely new set of ideas, and argue with them, is like stepping into someone else's shoes...But it's worth a mention in this forum.

Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 4:21:31 PM
At 6/20/2011 9:31:31 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

Conceding that much of what Plato thought is not valuable today, which is all we said.

It's interesting you would imagine Plato on DDO... First off, he probably wouldn't take much of the dialogue here seriously. For one thing, he didn't believe people your age have any business debating philosophy (not before late twenties/early thirties anyway) because he didn't believe that you would have enough life experience to really digest the concepts.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Go to biography. You can't even compare Plato's mature work to what this guy did before he was 20.

I could point out tons of flaws in that line of reasoning (that it's an established informal fallacy, that you can't demonstrate argumentatively to people that they can't reason argumentatively, that you're using age as a rationalization for why people who are plainly smarter than you don't agree with you, etc.) but you have already come up with a justification for why you are above rationality and other petty constraints on what we are normally entitled to belief. You're just being condescending and backing up your attitude with nothing in the way of rational thought.

Take these political/economic debates we have, for example. You guys all assume you can just impose your Laissez-Fairre paradigms over society and defend attacks on it's efficacy in a piecemeal fashion as people point out its problems. These types of arguments prove nothing. You guys don't even address why things are the way they are today... why it is we have a large regulatory structure; why it is we have developed this way.

Wow, I never thought of any of that. At first I thought I had a social theory, an interpretation of history, theoretical arguments that remove the need for piecemeal defenses of specific objections, and a political philosophy in general. Now that you've insulted my intelligence based on nothing and made the blank claim that my arguments prove nothing, I realize that I never thought of the things I've been thinking about for a long time. Thank you for being so helpful.

There is a good reason Plato wouldn't take you seriously, and that's because you simply haven't seen why men do the things they do. You guys are book-smart, I'll give you that, but there is no substance under the economic quotes and the idealistic rantings.

lol @ arguments that can't be proven argumentatively. No person that values logic over believing whatever you want to believe should take this seriously. You haven't seen the way big, strong, mature men men work on ships, therefore you can't prove that ships float with your silly math lolololol.

Also, it's a good thing you know Plato so well.

If we had professionals from each field scrutinize the dialogue on here I don't think they would be very impressed. I am only studious in environmental policy, but I know that if I get very far into it that there won't be any answer to my questions. And why should there be? You can't be expected to give me the intricacies of my field in your idealistic economic paradigm.

This argument could be made against anyone who has an opinion about anything. Your criticism is that we don't have infinite knowledge. Nice job.

You can't tell the fisherman how the intricacies of his field will evolve under Laissez-Fairre, or tell the social worker, the concerned Christian parent, the soldier, the environmental planner, or the chemist how their professions will evolve under a state-less paradigm.

That's really cute. I especially liked the part about the concerned Christian parent. I'm sure they would all be shocked and appalled that I'm not omniscient and can't perfectly predict the future. We'll have to only listen to the opinions of psychics and people who can plan unplanned systems from now on.

You can't: you don't have the experience! If any one of them took off from their professions to sit in on one of these economic discussions, they would only do so to explain to you how things work in real life, outside of the classroom, and why your ideas don't address any of the problems they see on a daily basis from their professional standpoint.

I would say that IP laws are harmful to poor people in Third World countries because it prevents governments and corporations in their countries from quickly producing cheap generic drugs. A chemist would then soundly refute my argument by telling me that polyphosphazenes are a class of inorganic polymers with the repeat unit (-RR'P=N-). It would be a humbling experiences for me, I'm sure.

The simple idea of having a bunch of teenage/twenty-something kids assuming they have the world in the palm of their intellectual hands is hilarious! You guys, forty years from now, are going to look back at how cocky and argumentative you were and wonder how you could have possibly wanted to display that demeanor without the lessons you've now learned in the past forty years. Plato would only stick around here long enough to give out spankings and ask where your parents are.

Translation: :'( My self esteem is hurt because some people who are younger than me have ideas I don't like and they're too smart so I can't do anything about it. If only they would grow up and believe things for the reason I do: because I want to.

Seriously, give me a break. There is no substance under that at all. There is no reason why I should that seriously, so I won't. Looks like the shoe is on the other foot.

That's stupid, naive, shows a lack of understanding of how things really work, and is basically everything you accused other people of being. This site is going to last 20-30 more years and grow into an impressive think-tank with specialists in different disciplines acting as teachers and mentors? Do I even need to point out how ridiculous that is? How's this: it doesn't reflect my common-sense view of the world and it reflects your lack of practical knowledge of how the internet works. I'm above backing my arguments up because I'm so awesome.

Go condescend on someone else and back it up with something better than "hurr hurr hurr I'm 30." Unless your experience translates into actually knowledge and analytic skills that you can apply, it won't convince anyone. I can say you're an old man and you're stuck in your old man ways and it would has the same value as your rant: nothing whatsoever. Instead, I back my ideas up with logic and evidence and accept that they are only as good as my support for them. I change my mind when I am proven wrong and do not engage in long, futile debates with people who have plainly bested me. Notice that there aren't long threads on the philosophy and religion boards where PCP rips me apart and I use thinly veiled ad hominem attacks to claim that he's rationalizing or incompetent? That's because I don't think I'm too good to be convinced by reason.

TL;DR: Go find someone else stupid enough to take your condescension seriously.
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 4:27:11 PM

Yep, but I don't know if the community would accept it. Who do you think could be Plato on this website?

Charleslb

Aristotle?

Kenyon

Mencius?

Junstin_Chains

Kant?

I actually don't know.
My manwich!
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 4:31:36 PM
At 6/20/2011 4:27:11 PM, Merda wrote:
Kant?

I actually don't know.

I'll be Kant. All I have to do is explain how reducing the transcendental forms into the pure rational equivalent of a universalisable imperative shows how the starry skies reveal the moral law within me.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 4:57:52 PM
Do you think Mencius would get destroyed on these debates, considering his style of rhetoric and argument?

Are any of you impressed by Mencius' political/humanistic philosophy?