Total Posts:3|Showing Posts:1-3
Jump to topic:

Book recommendations (Enlightenment period)

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 11:02:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm going to be reading, over the course of the next few months, all the major works of the Enlightenment period (I tend to be regimented with these things). I have a good idea of what I would like to read but I'm concerned I might miss or overlook something. Obviously, I'm interested in the philosophical literature of the period but I'm also interested in the novels and books on politics, history, culture, entertainment, religion, economics and technology of that period. So, what books do you recommend from the Enlightenment that I might miss or overlook.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:18:37 AM
While I have read none of these books, all of them come from the age of enlightenment and might help you in assessing the period in question:
1. Voltaire-Zadig and Candide
2. John Locke-Two Treatises on Government, An Essay Concerning Human Understanding
3. Montesquieu: The Spirit of the Laws
4.Francis Bacon: Novum Organum, New Atlantis, Essays
5. Mary Wollstonecraft: Vindication for the rights of women
6. Baruch Spinoza: Ethics 7. Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations
8. Rousseau: Discourse on the Origin and Basis of Inequality Among Men, Emile: or, On Education
9. Thomas Hobbes: Leviathan 10. Kant: Critique of Pure Reason
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 12:24:47 PM
At 6/20/2011 11:18:37 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
While I have read none of these books, all of them come from the age of enlightenment and might help you in assessing the period in question:
1. Voltaire-Zadig and Candide
2. John Locke-Two Treatises on Government, An Essay Concerning Human Understanding
3. Montesquieu: The Spirit of the Laws
4.Francis Bacon: Novum Organum, New Atlantis, Essays
5. Mary Wollstonecraft: Vindication for the rights of women
6. Baruch Spinoza: Ethics 7. Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations
8. Rousseau: Discourse on the Origin and Basis of Inequality Among Men, Emile: or, On Education
9. Thomas Hobbes: Leviathan 10. Kant: Critique of Pure Reason

Thanks, I might have missed Wollstonecraft because I don't hear her mentioned very often in other works I read.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it