Jump to topic:

Placebo Experiments

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 2:53:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Intrigued by a few books I have read recently and by the latests placebo effect thread in this forum I decided to run some tests *puts on lab coat and goggles*.

Control

I found a test subject (my brother) and a piece of butter on a plate. Half of the butter I put on his plate was salted and half was not. He had to do this six times with different butter samples and identify whether it was salted or unsalted. He identified them ALL correctly. This was the control

Experiment

After this I administered 12 tests where I would tell him it was a certain butter and he would identify it. Half of the time I would tell him, I would be lying. (Plus I gave him such a tiny ammount of butter he would have to rely on his mind more than his tounge).

The first six tests I told him it was salted butter. Three out of six of the butter samples were salted.
The second six tests I told him it was unsalted. Again, three out of six times I was lying.

Here are my results:
Key:
S= salted
U=unsalted
TS=Told Salted
TU=Told Unsalted

1. S, TS. He declared it was salted (Correct)
2. U, TS. he declared it was salted. (Wrong)
3. S, TS. He declared it was salted (Correct)
4. U, TS. He delcared it was unsalted (Correct)
5. S, TS. He declared it was salted. (Correct)
6. U, TS. He declared it was salted. (Wrong)
7. U, TU. He delcared it unsalted (Correct)
8. S, TU. he declared it was unsalted. (Wrong)
9. U, TU. He delcared it was unsalted (Correct)
10. S: TU. He declared it was unsalted (Wrong)
11. U, TU. He declared it was unsalted. (Correct)
12. S, TU. he declared it was salted. (Correct)

Conclusion

As we can draw from the results, when I told him what type the butter was before he put in his mouth it interfered with his thinking and was more likely to guess wrong. When he hears what type of butter it is he will expect it to be that type of butter and therefore it WILL be that type of butter. In fact, 1/3 of the time he got the answer wrong! That's makes him 33% more likely to chose a wrong answer, hence the placebo.

Note: The test subject was not told I would lie to him.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 2:54:58 PM
At 6/19/2011 2:54:01 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
Five bucks he had no clue you would put it on here.

Give me my five bucks I showed him the results and told him I was putting it up here.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 3:17:52 PM
At 6/19/2011 2:56:59 PM, darkkermit wrote:
this kind of reminds me of the time I told my brother that the snowcone was lemonade flavor and he believed it.

You peed in it didn't you?
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 3:19:33 PM
At 6/19/2011 2:54:58 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 6/19/2011 2:54:01 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
Five bucks he had no clue you would put it on here.

Give me my five bucks I showed him the results and told him I was putting it up here.

And if he asked you not to?
Kfc.