Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

- Pythagoras -

CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 12:34:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
He was also bat sh!t insane from what I've read of him.

Eccentricity comes with the territory, I guess.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 4:11:03 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/21/2011 4:10:38 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
He killed a man for proving there existed irrational numbers.

Massive legend imo.

Unlike my grammar.
Meatros
Posts: 1,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 9:12:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm not sure how much we can actually *know* about him.

I am interested in the mystery religion that revolved around him though - even if it's been embellished by later scribes.
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 1:47:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/21/2011 9:29:19 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
The secret order:

http://en.wikipedia.org...

It sounds like a great fraternity, seriously it does. I saw no reference to Pythagoras though.
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 11:06:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/21/2011 4:10:38 AM, Thaddeus wrote:

Massive legend imo.

That is the problem with figures in history, what is true vs what is embellishment is unknown. Consider instead someone like Srinivasa Ramanujan who was an autodidact whose mathematical ability is argued to be in the same league as Euler, Newton and Company. He is almost unknown as he died of malnutrition in his early 30's, what he could have accomplished is left to legend.
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 3:03:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Each individual seems to choose certain figures throughout human history, and mentally give them an almost legendary status as to how they think towards them. Anything that could not be assessed personally, can only be believed on faith of the subjective material at hand.

Pythagoras was an important part of human history in my opinion. To others, maybe not so much.
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 4:13:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 3:03:54 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
Each individual seems to choose certain figures throughout human history, and mentally give them an almost legendary status as to how they think towards them. Anything that could not be assessed personally, can only be believed on faith of the subjective material at hand.

This is not all subjective/faith, Pythagoras deliberately created this mystique as opposed to Plato who did not. It is difficult to know what was achieved by Pythagoras or his students, this is not at all the case for someone like Gauss or Euler.
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 4:23:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 4:13:01 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
At 6/23/2011 3:03:54 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
Each individual seems to choose certain figures throughout human history, and mentally give them an almost legendary status as to how they think towards them. Anything that could not be assessed personally, can only be believed on faith of the subjective material at hand.

This is not all subjective/faith, Pythagoras deliberately created this mystique as opposed to Plato who did not. It is difficult to know what was achieved by Pythagoras or his students, this is not at all the case for someone like Gauss or Euler.

What you believe about people in the past is indeed subjective faith. You are wrong.
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 8:08:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 4:23:36 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:

What you believe about people in the past is indeed subjective faith. You are wrong.

You must be using your own definitions again and not speaking English, if you are using actual English then there is an entire field of academic study which notes not only are you wrong your stance is absurd (there is another entire field of study which says that your sentence can not even be interpreted as it makes no sense). Care to debate that or is this another case where you jump in, tell someone they are fail/wrong and then refuse to provide justification.
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 9:51:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 8:08:10 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
At 6/23/2011 4:23:36 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:

What you believe about people in the past is indeed subjective faith. You are wrong.

You must be using your own definitions again and not speaking English, if you are using actual English then there is an entire field of academic study which notes not only are you wrong your stance is absurd (there is another entire field of study which says that your sentence can not even be interpreted as it makes no sense). Care to debate that or is this another case where you jump in, tell someone they are fail/wrong and then refuse to provide justification.

No, you are the one who is saying that I am wrong without showing why. "there are academic studies blah blah blah"

I tire of your insults and they are forcing me to feel the need to fight fire with fire. Speak your case or bite your tongue.

How is what I said wrong. Tell me how you can be accurate, without subjective faith, as to the details of a person who may or may not have lived in the distant past. Show me a glimmer of your great academic mind Cliff.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 9:53:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
FVCK YOU PYTHAGORAS!

nac.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:26:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 9:51:57 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:

Tell me how you can be accurate, without subjective faith, as to the details of a person who may or may not have lived in the distant past.

Justin this is why you keep getting called a troll, this can not be a serious question because it shows complete ignorance to an entire branch of academics. Even if you have graduated from high school you should have been at least introduced to the basic concepts. If you seriously want to assert that nonsense then we can debate it.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:30:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/21/2011 1:47:02 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
At 6/21/2011 9:29:19 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
The secret order:

http://en.wikipedia.org...

It sounds like a great fraternity, seriously it does. I saw no reference to Pythagoras though.

Well let's give a clue... Sigma means Sons of....

Pi means.... OMG IF I TELL THEY WILL HUNT ME DOWN IN MY SLEEP....
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2011 4:05:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Only the Greeks would have come up with a math cult.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2011 4:23:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 10:26:36 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
At 6/23/2011 9:51:57 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:

Tell me how you can be accurate, without subjective faith, as to the details of a person who may or may not have lived in the distant past.

Justin this is why you keep getting called a troll, this can not be a serious question because it shows complete ignorance to an entire branch of academics. Even if you have graduated from high school you should have been at least introduced to the basic concepts. If you seriously want to assert that nonsense then we can debate it.

Again, making assertions with no argument. What is your argument Cliff? Quit dancing around it.

Show me your argument.
raideroftheknight
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 4:30:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/23/2011 10:30:54 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 6/21/2011 1:47:02 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
At 6/21/2011 9:29:19 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
The secret order:

http://en.wikipedia.org...

It sounds like a great fraternity, seriously it does. I saw no reference to Pythagoras though.

Well let's give a clue... Sigma means Sons of....

Pi means.... OMG IF I TELL THEY WILL HUNT ME DOWN IN MY SLEEP....

Pi means 3.14...... Sigma in no form means "sons of" Sigma Anarchy ?? SIgma Zeus? wtf are you talking about? Perhaps Sigma means "Sleep" and Pi means "WILL HUNT ME DOWN IN SAID SLEEP"
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 7:01:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/20/2011 9:43:48 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
He was a great mind of the human race, in my opinion.

I want to hear your thoughts...

My thoughts are that Pythagoras was one of the greatest minds of antiquity and we are indebted to him for much of the intellectual achievements of the modern world..

Around 2600 years ago the ancient Greeks emancipated thought from Myth and profoundly changed the world by asserting the universe to be an intelligible whole with an underlying order that could be comprehended. Prior to that magnificent intellectual achievement it had never been thought of in that way before. These were men of tremendous courage and insight, and one of the towering figures of that time was Pythagoras.

In a very real sense, I believe Pythagoras invented western science. He found that the length of the string of a lyre determined the pitch of the note produced. He measured the places notes are played on the strings and found they corresponded to simple numeric ratios and that by pressing the string exactly in the middle, an octave was produced where the same notes existed in the same ratios but at a higher pitch. He developed a "mathematics of ratios" to explain musical harmonies.

This may not sound so profound to us now, but it was the first time in recorded history anyone had ever reduced a "quality" of nature to a "quantity" of measurement. From his mathematics of harmony Pythagoras asserted that mathematical proportions could explain all of reality, which is a remarkably profound assertion. Science has been measuring and applying mathematics to the problem of understanding nature ever since. In my mind, it was clearly the beginning of modern science and it began with the study of harmony.

Pythagoras went on to maintain that the octave was an expression of the relationship between spirit and matter because the whole is broken into two distinguishable parts yet it produces the same musical note, only at an Octave higher. He referred to this as the "miracle of the Octave". In music, the universe expresses spirit and matter and it resonates in both our body and our soul.

Pythagoras founded science as the study of the harmony in nature and he considered nature to be an expression of both spirit and matter. The Pythagorean School sought to unite religion and science, music and mathematics, and mind, body and soul in a grand illuminating synthesis. I like that. It feels right to me and somehow I know in my heart that is the true goal and spirit of science. But if that is true it is clear that somewhere along the way the spirit of science has been lost.

I think we need to get that spirit back.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater