Total Posts:3|Showing Posts:1-3
Jump to topic:

Do the Victors Write Moral History, Too?

Hambone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 12:25:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've always been concerned that the victors of whatever wars from long ago (and not that long ago), as they were writing history to benefit themselves may have been re-writing morality as well. Just two hypothetical examples: Confederacy wins the Civil War, would history remember the War as a moral imperative to defend the rights of the states (whereas now it's seen as a moral referendum on slavery)? What about WWII and Germany? Now it's seen as a salvation endeavor to rid the world of Hitler and his tyranny, but what if they had won (admittedly, I can't think of a possible moral spin to Germany winning, but I'm sure there are argument to be made)?

Just seems apt with us fighting wars overseas these days. If we win all of our endeavors over there, would we write the moral history of our duty and mission overseas? What if we lose?
Hot and Dangerous
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 12:30:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Absolutely. The victors write the textbooks, which in turn gets taught and pushes certain concepts or institutions in a positive light while others are presented negatively. This world would have been a very different place if the Nazis or Confederacy had won. When the teachings of those two ideologies are allowed to establish a solid foundation, it alters the moral landscape.