Jump to topic:

Time

headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 6:43:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I just watched this show and it commented on expiremental drugs not approved by the fda and wether a person has the "right" to be able to take it. One arguemnt was about the potential for abuse, another was the right to defend oneself. can you members of ddo think of other reasons a hypothetical person with a terminal illness (for the purpose of this discussion let's assume the disease is in it's early stages) should be able to take or not take the expiremental drugs?
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 1:19:34 AM
At 7/10/2011 6:43:55 PM, headphonegut wrote:
I just watched this show and it commented on expiremental drugs not approved by the fda and wether a person has the "right" to be able to take it. One arguemnt was about the potential for abuse, another was the right to defend oneself. can you members of ddo think of other reasons a hypothetical person with a terminal illness (for the purpose of this discussion let's assume the disease is in it's early stages) should be able to take or not take the expiremental drugs?

What would the drugs effect be?
CGBSpender
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 5:15:00 AM

(-) It undermines the authority of the FDA. Sure the patient may be "defending their life", but if a dying patient stole an organ to save their life would it be any different? Sure it seems like a very different case, but at the root of it, both situations are cases where a person breaks the law in "defense of their life". You may say that only in the second situation is anyone hurt, but if the FDA has certain rules it's because those rules are reasonably going to create a better society, by breaking those rules you are harming the chances at that better society.

(+) Taking the experimental drugs speeds up the process of experimentation (human subjects are better tests than rats). It must be possible for an autonomous human being to give consent to a legal procedure, namely the testing of the drug. Whether the person is dying or not should only be considered insofar as it affects their decision-making ability (after all, we're all dying :P).
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 5:13:21 PM
At 7/11/2011 5:15:00 AM, CGBSpender wrote:

(-) It undermines the authority of the FDA. Sure the patient may be "defending their life", but if a dying patient stole an organ to save their life would it be any different? Sure it seems like a very different case, but at the root of it, both situations are cases where a person breaks the law in "defense of their life". You may say that only in the second situation is anyone hurt, but if the FDA has certain rules it's because those rules are reasonably going to create a better society, by breaking those rules you are harming the chances at that better society.

That's just one massive appeal to authority fallacy right there.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 8:52:55 PM
Well folks, as you can see for yourself from the way this clock over here is behaving: time is an affliction.

Now this may be cause for alarm among a portion of you, that's from a certain experience I tend to proclaim: the eons are closing!
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 9:24:38 PM
At 7/11/2011 9:18:52 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Uh, why does the FDA have the right to prevent anyone from using experimental drugs? Or any drugs for that matter?

Depends on if you mean legally or philisophically.
Rob