Jump to topic:

There are only "Two Truths" to Life

ianspigler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 3:12:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have been thinking of this philosophical theory called "The Two Truths", what I mean by this is, some people believe in the philosophy relativism (to be clear I'm not bashing relativism, just saying it like it is) But, relativists have to acknowledge facts like " Everybody Dies", and " Everyone Suffers" , and " You Can't Walk Through Walls", and "You Can't Breath Underwater", and so on. Most empiricists say that unless you can prove something by rigorous scientific process (and you have to do the experimenting, you can't take anyone's word for it, as they say) But, I do not need to prove that I can breath underwater or leap buildings in a single bound, it's just a given. I call these truths "Truths Concerning Earthly Matters" , this is the first truth. The second truth is that: all tough we can't prove (for example, God) that he exists, we do know that there is either a God or not a God, that there is free will or no free will, that there is life after death or there is no life after death. And so on, ect. I call these truths " Truths Concerning Metaphysical and Epistemological Inquiry" or " Truths Concerning Scientific and Supernatural Inquiry ". And from these two truths we get: Experience, (not reality, since you can't prove we're in a reality.) And why I say experience is that, for every action I do, someone reacts,and to every time a person acts on me, I react. So, therefore from this chain of acting and reacting begets experience. All tough you could argue we're in virtual reality or, we're in somebody' s dream, we are experiencing something. The truth is out there.
thisisnottom
CGBSpender
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 3:45:06 PM
At 7/14/2011 3:12:42 PM, ianspigler wrote:
I have been thinking of this philosophical theory called "The Two Truths", what I mean by this is, some people believe in the philosophy relativism (to be clear I'm not bashing relativism, just saying it like it is) But, relativists have to acknowledge facts like " Everybody Dies", and " Everyone Suffers" , and " You Can't Walk Through Walls", and "You Can't Breath Underwater", and so on.

They don't have to acknowledge those things, that's the essence of relativism. It may seem like "common sense", but there is a difference between probable/functional claims and metaphysical claims. Which seems like the kind of distinction you're trying to draw, but don't seem to understand that they affect each other.

Most empiricists say that unless you can prove something by rigorous scientific process (and you have to do the experimenting, you can't take anyone's word for it, as they say) But, I do not need to prove that I can breath underwater or leap buildings in a single bound, it's just a given.

It's only a given if you take it as a given. The only reason you think it's a given is because other people have done the research for you. There are very few empiricists who believe the research needs to be done by you personally, just that when it is done there is a certain method and legitimacy that goes along with it.

I call these truths "Truths Concerning Earthly Matters" , this is the first truth. The second truth is that: all tough we can't prove (for example, God) that he exists, we do know that there is either a God or not a God, that there is free will or no free will, that there is life after death or there is no life after death. And so on, ect. I call these truths " Truths Concerning Metaphysical and Epistemological Inquiry" or " Truths Concerning Scientific and Supernatural Inquiry ".

Within the worldview of logic there is no middle it's either A or -A, but 1) that's only one worldview and 2) that has nothing to do with epistomology. Epistomology is the study of knowledge itself, largely, how can we know anything (what is sufficient proof). What you have said does not fall into this category.

And from these two truths we get: Experience, (not reality, since you can't prove we're in a reality.) And why I say experience is that, for every action I do, someone reacts,and to every time a person acts on me, I react. So, therefore from this chain of acting and reacting begets experience. All tough you could argue we're in virtual reality or, we're in somebody' s dream, we are experiencing something. The truth is out there.

This conclusion doesn't make sense. How does dividing knowledge into two types of truth produce "experience"? I do agree the Truth is Out There though and we should all want to believe. hehe

Also, you misunderstand the Two Turths principle. They are divided as follows everyday functional truths and absolute truths. Both relativism and empiricism would fall into the second category. Individual propositions like the ones you spoke of would fall into the first category.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 1:25:20 AM
I can breathe underwater, anyone can, and many do. You just need the right equipment.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 1:30:54 AM
There are seven truths.

i. The Principle of Mind
"Everything is mind; the universe is a mental creation."

ii. The Principle of Correspondence
"As above, so below; as below, so above."

iii. The Principle of Vibration
"Nothing rests; everything moves; everything vibrates."

iv. The Principle of Opposition
"Everything is dual; everything has an opposing point; everything has its pair of opposites; like and unlike are the same; opposites are identical in nature, but different in degree; extremes bond; all truths are but partial truths; all paradoxes may be reconciled."

v. The Principle of Rhythm
"Everything flows out and in; everything has its season; all things rise and fall; the pendulum swing expresses itself in everything; the measure of the swing to the right is the measure of the swing to the left; rhythm compensates."

vi. The Principle of Cause and Effect
"Every cause has its effect; every effect has its cause; everything happens according to Law; Chance is just a name for Law not recognized; there are many fields of causation, but nothing escapes the Law of Destiny."

vii. The Principle of Gender
"Gender is in everything; everything has its masculine and feminine principles; Gender manifests on all levels."
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."

- Lionheart -
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 1:53:53 AM
At 7/15/2011 1:30:54 AM, Lionheart wrote:
There are seven truths.

i. The Principle of Mind

"Everything is dual; everything has an opposing point; everything has its pair of opposites; like and unlike are the same; opposites are identical in nature, but different in degree; extremes bond; all truths are but partial truths; all paradoxes may be reconciled."

"Everything flows out and in; everything has its season; all things rise and fall; the pendulum swing expresses itself in everything; the measure of the swing to the right is the measure of the swing to the left; rhythm compensates."

"Every cause has its effect; every effect has its cause; everything happens according to Law; Chance is just a name for Law not recognized; there are many fields of causation, but nothing escapes the Law of Destiny."

"Gender is in everything; everything has its masculine and feminine principles; Gender manifests on all levels."

Hey Justin Chains.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 1:54:16 AM
At 7/15/2011 1:25:20 AM, OreEle wrote:
I can breathe underwater, anyone can, and many do. You just need the right equipment.

icwutudidthar
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 2:02:13 AM
These are the two truths to life.

1. There are no truths to life.
2. You should try the honey mustard along with extra toasted cheese on your subway sandwich. It is gooood.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 2:04:47 AM
At 7/15/2011 2:02:13 AM, FREEDO wrote:
These are the two truths to life.

1. There are no truths to life.
2. You should try the honey mustard along with extra toasted cheese on your subway sandwich. It is gooood.

I demand a discordian video on the honey mustard sauce.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 2:45:23 AM
There are seven truths.

i. The Principle of Mind

Comment: It is interesting to see someone post this. This is from the Kybalion and/or Summum texts. I did not know very many people knew about or studied the seven principles on this website. Maybe I was naive in my assumption.

Questions to Lionheart: How long have you studied the teachings? Do you have a master or are you a lone student? Send me a message in private if you wish. I would like to establish communication between us on the ancient teachings.

Question to everyone: Is there anyone else on this website that studies the ancient teachings? (The Kybalion and/or Summum texts.)

If so, please send me a private message.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 4:01:53 AM
There are seven truths.

i. The Principle of Mind

Retraction: I retract my previous post towards you Lionheart. Your posts are offensive and you do not behave as a student of the ancient teachings. I am sorry if my personal judgement upsets you.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
CGBSpender
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 6:06:54 AM
There are seven truths.

i. The Principle of Mind

What about minds, are they a mental creation?

Except for things in absolute zero... and minds, because apperantly there's nothing to move in.

So these are all partial truths?

1) This "swing to the left" of which you speak has never seemed to happen at Fox.

Why is the law of destiny there and not just chance?

That's probably why I had so much fun with my lamp last night.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 1:18:57 PM

Is the Sun male or female?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 4:10:11 PM
At 7/15/2011 1:18:57 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Is the Sun male or female?

Reply: It's not as simple as that. It's not an absolute. Everything has both qualities to a certain degree. If it is your desire to learn more about this principle I will post a small introduction to it, so you may better understand the concept.

VII. THE PRINCIPLE OF GENDER

This Principle embodies the truth that there is GENDER manifested in everything. The Masculine and Feminine Principles are forever at work. This is true not only of the Physical Plane, but of the Mental and even the Spiritual Planes. On the Physical Plane, the Principle manifests as SEX, on the higher planes it takes higher forms, but the Principle is ever the same. No creation, physical, mental or spiritual, is possible without this Principle. An understanding of its laws will throw light on many a subject that has perplexed the minds of men. The Principle of Gender works ever in the direction of generation, regeneration, and creation. Everything, and every person, contains the two Elements or Principles, or this great Principle, within it, him or her. Every Male thing has the Female Element also; every Female contains also the Male Principle. If you would understand the philosophy of Mental and Spiritual Creation, Generation, and Re-generation, you must understand and study this principle of truth. It contains the solution to many mysteries of Life.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 5:53:24 PM
I have been thinking of this philosophical theory called "The Two Truths", what I mean by this is, some people believe in the philosophy relativism (to be clear I'm not bashing relativism, just saying it like it is) But, relativists have to acknowledge facts like " Everybody Dies", and " Everyone Suffers" , and " You Can't Walk Through Walls", and "You Can't Breath Underwater", and so on.:

You're conflating two different things, though. I don't know of a single person who believes in all relative truths. If a person is a self-described relativist, it's usually in context of morality. Obviously there are some absolutes in the known universe.

Even the declaration of "All things are relative," is an absolute statement which contradicts its own premise.

Be careful not to confuse the two.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 6:20:23 PM
At 7/16/2011 5:53:24 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I have been thinking of this philosophical theory called "The Two Truths", what I mean by this is, some people believe in the philosophy relativism (to be clear I'm not bashing relativism, just saying it like it is) But, relativists have to acknowledge facts like " Everybody Dies", and " Everyone Suffers" , and " You Can't Walk Through Walls", and "You Can't Breath Underwater", and so on.:

I'd go with:

1. There is something outside of our minds, and our perception imperfectly translates that into a mental representation.

2. There are at least two true statements.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 10:22:17 PM
I have been thinking of this philosophical theory called "The Two Truths", what I mean by this is, some people believe in the philosophy relativism (to be clear I'm not bashing relativism, just saying it like it is) But, relativists have to acknowledge facts like " Everybody Dies"
Mars is a planetary body, does it ever die?

and " Everyone Suffers"
*holds up a pen* this one doesn't.

and " You Can't Walk Through Walls"
Depends how flimsy the wall is.

and "You Can't Breath Underwater"
Scuba gear.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.