Jump to topic:

Perennial Philosophy

Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 6:49:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Topic: Thoughts on Perennial Philosophy.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 7:35:28 PM
In terms of perennialism in education (see this link for a variety of educational philosophies - http://oregonstate.edu...) , I think it has some nice ideals, but is ultimately not that useful in that other priorities (such as some aspects of essentialism) are more important.

Again, continuing with education (because I don't know that much about this in other disciplines) , although I believe less essentialism in teaching would be beneficial, there are aspects of perennialism that I disagree with. Ie. Teaching the great works of art and literature isn't a grand idea to me. Instead of teaching say, Shakespeare which is hard to comprehend, perhaps a more modern book such as the Lord of the Rings, even if less great, should be taught for practical purposes.

Perennialism has it's merits, yet is lacking in a practical sense, especially with students of a lower intellect / dislike of learning.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 8:25:59 PM
At 7/16/2011 8:21:05 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It is as laughable as all other philosophy.

What do you mean by this? Is that to say you merely disagree with every single philosophy and instead propose a mixing of philosophies? Or is there something odd I'm missing...
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 8:29:46 PM
At 7/16/2011 8:25:59 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
At 7/16/2011 8:21:05 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It is as laughable as all other philosophy.

What do you mean by this? Is that to say you merely disagree with every single philosophy and instead propose a mixing of philosophies? Or is there something odd I'm missing...

There is definitely something odd that you are missing.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 8:55:24 PM
Definition: Perennial philosophy is a view that sees the world as divided into two aspects: the invisible, unified, unmanifest, implicit, mystical level of reality and the visible, manifold, manifest, explicit, material level of reality (the latter is understood as derived from and secondary to the former). Some regard the perennial philosophy as the universal philosophy common to all religions and spiritual traditions. Also called
philosophia perennis.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 5:42:43 AM
At 7/16/2011 8:55:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Definition: Perennial philosophy is a view that sees the world as divided into two aspects: the invisible, unified, unmanifest, implicit, mystical level of reality and the visible, manifold, manifest, explicit, material level of reality (the latter is understood as derived from and secondary to the former). Some regard the perennial philosophy as the universal philosophy common to all religions and spiritual traditions. Also called
philosophia perennis.

The former is chaos.

The later is a manifestation of the universe's evolved ability to examine itself.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 5:49:38 AM
At 7/17/2011 5:42:43 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
The later is a manifestation of the universe's evolved ability to examine itself.

Now let this not be mistaken as me saying that the "visible, manifold, manifest, explicit, material level of reality" exists because of observation. It is the same as the former, it has always been there. The limitations of our own perception combined with the nature of our cognitive processes creates a duality that doesn't really exist.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp