Jump to topic:

The Concept of the Eternal Return

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 9:23:06 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Does the concept of eternal return apply to life, and its principles (lightness, weight)? Is it a valid or reasonable approach to understanding life from our perspective?

I am interested in your views of the 'eternal return'.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 9:40:24 AM
At 7/19/2011 9:23:06 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
Does the concept of eternal return apply to life, and its principles (lightness, weight)? Is it a valid or reasonable approach to understanding life from our perspective?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

I suppose you are referencing Nietzsche's myth of the eternal return, correct? I think it applies to how one would live their life. Obviously, if true, you'd want to live a good life (according to your preferences).
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 9:45:51 AM
At 7/19/2011 9:40:24 AM, Meatros wrote:

I suppose you are referencing Nietzsche's myth of the eternal return, correct? I think it applies to how one would live their life. Obviously, if true, you'd want to live a good life (according to your preferences).

Yes, I was referring to Nietzche's myth of the eternal return. Sorry if I did not clearly imply or suggest that in my opening post.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 10:03:53 AM
At 7/19/2011 9:45:51 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

Yes, I was referring to Nietzche's myth of the eternal return. Sorry if I did not clearly imply or suggest that in my opening post.

I haven't read it in a good long while, but I'm not catching the reference to "lightness, weight".
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 10:09:46 AM
At 7/19/2011 10:03:53 AM, Meatros wrote:
At 7/19/2011 9:45:51 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

I haven't read it in a good long while, but I'm not catching the reference to "lightness, weight".

The opposition of "lightness" and "weight" came from a short excerpt of a philosophical book that I was reading in class yesterday.....I don't know the title of that book though...

joze14rock
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 2:04:51 AM
I love the Concept of Eternal Return (or how I know it, Eternal Recurrence).
What is really interesting is that in some of Nietzsche's unpublished notes, he tried to prove Eternal Recurrence as an actual physical phenomenon. That is, that individuals REALLY do live their life over and over again, exactly in every way.
Back in the 19th century, the concept of energy in physics was quickly getting wide-spread attention and notoriety. Nietzsche most definitely understood what was going on in physics and the sciences, and that's why in his notes he talks about Eternal Recurrence as pockets of energy re-surging or something (don't quite know the details).
Of course, there is a reason why they were never published - because the idea as an actual physical phenomenon was ridiculous. And Nietzsche knew it.

Yes, Eternal Recurrence is really best understood as a psychological-personal measure of one's life:
If you had to live your life over and over and over an infinite number of times, in exactly the same way it was lived, including every minute and specific moment of your life live again endlessly - would you lament such situation cursing your existence and your God or cherish it with absolutely happiness as Sisyphus does absurdly pushing the rock up the hill for eternity?

Yea, that's some good stuff right there.