Jump to topic:

An experiment in philosophy.

wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 10:42:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The reason he is not forced in the second scenario is because he is choosing between two lives, and could just as easily have thrown himself overboard, whereas in the first scenario the captain was choosing his wife's property over his life. He was coerced in the first scenario to lose the property due to the threat to his life.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 10:45:19 PM
At 7/19/2011 10:40:29 PM, wjmelements wrote:
She sank, so she was a witch. Isn't it obvious?

LOL
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 1:38:44 PM
Obvously answering no to both is the easiest way out of it. As far as getting soome meaning out of it, then you need to analyze the intentions of the captain.

In the first example, he's simply manipulating inanimate objects to save his life. There is little to argue about here. In the second example, he is now performing an inherently selfish act - saving himself at the expense of another person - which makes it immoral.
Rob
Ieyeb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2011 12:43:48 AM
.... Ieye am sorry the video that was showed did not represent the entire audience to see it meaning, FRIST ieye have never seen the vid so (perfect test subject) and as ieye was watching when the choice came to throw the case over ieye felt and answered NO, Ieye seen so many MORE options he had before doing this,..and of course the 2nd was just so ignorant it forces the reader to dumb down as a participate of the experiment!... ieye myself would not blame someone such as myself, simply faced with the same two questions answered,.. in the minority ieye guess. .. but the fault lies within the experiment!, ... it should led me to answer yes then no if you wanted to use it to debate!...these old "Greek" philosophies and questions of morality is now some two thousands years old!...create a NEW sernario thats stands up against the more highly evolve consciousness than the one your using... in Aristotle example the fault is clearly with the decision of the captain!..he decided that due to a storm and high waves that he must reduce this boats weight... My own first thought was to get out he boat myself and swim beside now knowing that ieye will not be capsized.. So ieye did not take an easy out ieye just had the right answers...Also being of someone that has spent a few years with ours seas even my second options was to empty the content of the box before the possible float-able empty box is thrown away.... but moreover in NO parts no ones Deductive thinking would one equate throwing a Box out a ship working the first time, and then throwing a person out the ship the second time to achieve the same results as the first,... which is classic Inductive thinking!! people like yourself think the sun will seem to raise tomorrow because it did today..... Aristotle was genius when it came to Inductive and Deductive reasoning.. find which one you're using..
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2011 3:42:28 PM
At 7/19/2011 10:35:51 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I ask you the same question that is asked at the end of the video.

ha! the other video about Free Will is done by my old Chinese Philosophy professor!

I opened up one of his other videos and there he was :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."