Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

A Hanging

Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 2:23:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
(Time for a new philosophy thread..)

Have any of you read "A Hanging" by George Orwell?

If not, its pretty short: http://orwell.ru...

What themes do you think emerge?
What, in your opinion, does the dog symbolize?
Orwell (the narrator) has an epiphany. What is its importance?
Do you think the story is racist?

I'd like to hear your opinions. Also, bring up anything else you find interesting in the story.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 8:00:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It helps to realize that Orwell served Britian in India while it was a colony. I wouldn't be surprised if this was close to a true story. Many of his short stories deal with his time in India.
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 10:13:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/6/2011 8:00:23 PM, Wnope wrote:
It helps to realize that Orwell served Britian in India while it was a colony. I wouldn't be surprised if this was close to a true story. Many of his short stories deal with his time in India.

Nooooo.....
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2011 2:49:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/6/2011 10:13:58 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 8/6/2011 8:00:23 PM, Wnope wrote:
It helps to realize that Orwell served Britian in India while it was a colony. I wouldn't be surprised if this was close to a true story. Many of his short stories deal with his time in India.

Nooooo.....

Yes.....

He joined the Indian Imperial Police http://www.online-literature.com...
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2011 4:08:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/7/2011 2:49:57 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 8/6/2011 10:13:58 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 8/6/2011 8:00:23 PM, Wnope wrote:
It helps to realize that Orwell served Britian in India while it was a colony. I wouldn't be surprised if this was close to a true story. Many of his short stories deal with his time in India.

Nooooo..... *sarcasm*

Yes.....

He joined the Indian Imperial Police

Any underlying meanings?
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2011 4:16:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/7/2011 4:08:42 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 8/7/2011 2:49:57 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 8/6/2011 10:13:58 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 8/6/2011 8:00:23 PM, Wnope wrote:
It helps to realize that Orwell served Britian in India while it was a colony. I wouldn't be surprised if this was close to a true story. Many of his short stories deal with his time in India.

Nooooo..... *sarcasm*

Yes.....

He joined the Indian Imperial Police

Any underlying meanings?

It lead him to hate imperialism and write about it. I was reminded of this because of another short story of his which is similar called "Shooting an Elephant."