Jump to topic:

A Hostile World

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 4:08:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why is it that people are always rude, insulting, or just say some messed up stuff. Its kind of depressing. Is it in human nature to be this hostile (unprovoked), or is the environment of our modern day fast-pace, stressful, and technological world?

What do you think?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 4:28:37 PM
At 8/15/2011 4:08:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
Why is it that people are always rude, insulting, or just say some messed up stuff. Its kind of depressing. Is it in human nature to be this hostile (unprovoked), or is the environment of our modern day fast-pace, stressful, and technological world?

What do you think?

It's animal nature to be dominant, and we humans are still animals. We have an urge to show that we are superior, because deep down inside, we still hold that the strong survive and the weak die.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 4:34:44 PM
At 8/15/2011 4:28:37 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

What do you think?

It's animal nature to be dominant, and we humans are still animals. We have an urge to show that we are superior, because deep down inside, we still hold that the strong survive and the weak die.

However, it's not impossible to resist this tendency. For goodness sake, I always try to talk to people how I would like them to talk to me, give people common respect (until provoked), and be friendly and kind. Thats what I AIM to do, but I feel like no one else cares.

Human beings are extremely intelligent creatures, and some of the behaviors that animals exhibit, they are given the brain to know better.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 4:52:47 PM

What do you think?

I thought you were a Christian?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 4:53:57 PM
At 8/15/2011 4:52:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

What do you think?

I thought you were a Christian?

I am.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 4:55:57 PM
At 8/15/2011 4:34:44 PM, 000ike wrote:

What do you think?

However, it's not impossible to resist this tendency. For goodness sake, I always try to talk to people how I would like them to talk to me, give people common respect (until provoked), and be friendly and kind. Thats what I AIM to do, but I feel like no one else cares.

Human beings are extremely intelligent creatures, and some of the behaviors that animals exhibit, they are given the brain to know better.

While it is possible to resist those urges and tendencies, it is not common to be a master at resisting. It is also possible to train a lion to be friends with bambi (though you have to go through a few bambis in the training process, lol), and they can thus resist that tendency, but most lions will still revert back to the old ways and enjoy sending bambi to meat (bad pun intended) his mother.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 6:34:24 PM

What do you think?

Reasons People Tend to Be @ssholes

1. Something bad is happening in their life and they want an outlet they can control.

2. Insecurity.

3. Bad Socialization.

The modern world has a lot more room for us to be depressed. When "happy" meant not starving to death during a drought, your standards are pretty low

Of course, for people with low standards they cannot control, see reason 1.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:28:23 PM
If people understood the nature of their emotions, they wouldn't be @ssholes. Most people are pretty confused about things like anger and greed, so how can they possibly expect not to cause this sort of strife?
Rob
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:45:02 PM
By nature, we are flawed and have a natural tendency to be @ssholes...:
Subset A: Emotions
1. Insecurity and lack of control of [rage, depression, euphoria, and so on]
Subset B: Experiences, and their reactionary prejudices
1. Experiences can often fix prejudices and perceptions that are negative. Case in point: It is widely postulated that Izbo10's seething dislike of hatred might be caused by his experiences as a former Christian, and dawning lack of belief.
2. Lack of socialization; declaration of society as 'evil' or opposition to social standards and rules [in other cases, the terms of service]

And the list goes on...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:06:38 PM
Wow, 00ike, are you going to complain about the hostility of this world and yet indulge in it by bickering with other members? Or are you just posting this forum up after a recent skirmish with a fellow member?

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:11:06 PM
The world isn't hostile until you call it one. I thought you knew that as well, 00ike...

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:15:34 PM
This is honest inquiry as to provoke an intellectual and productive discussion on the reason for the hostile pattern of behavior among modern day human beings. Yours was a juvenile and butthurt complaint about something that didn't require complaining. Your comparison of the two is devoid of sense.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:18:02 PM
At 8/21/2011 2:15:34 PM, 000ike wrote:
This is honest inquiry as to provoke an intellectual and productive discussion on the reason for the hostile pattern of behavior among modern day human beings.
I suggest experience, not intellectual discussion.

Yours was a juvenile and butthurt complaint about something that didn't require complaining. Your comparison of the two is devoid of sense.
Since we have already been discussing about the obviously flawed, and inherently hostile or adverse, aspects of man's nature, I am glad to see that you have developed those aspects.

It shows that our premises were correct.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:19:54 PM
At 8/21/2011 2:18:02 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
This is honest inquiry as to provoke an intellectual and productive discussion on the reason for the hostile pattern of behavior among modern day human beings.

Yours was a juvenile and butthurt complaint about something that didn't require complaining. Your comparison of the two is devoid of sense.
Since we have already been discussing about the obviously flawed, and inherently hostile or adverse, aspects of man's nature, I am glad to see that you have developed those aspects.

Congratulations on finally reaching an already established premise.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:20:45 PM
This is honest inquiry as to provoke an intellectual and productive discussion on the reason for the hostile pattern of behavior among modern day human beings. Yours was a juvenile and butthurt complaint about something that didn't require complaining. Your comparison of the two is devoid of sense.

I made no such comparisons. If you did not notice, you were already engaged in skirmishes with other members, besides myself, so therefore I am not referring to our last encounter at all.

Kinesis' comment displays that well...

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:21:51 PM
At 8/21/2011 2:19:54 PM, 000ike wrote:

Hmm...juvenile comment indeed. Did I not post something about the flawed nature of humanity, showing that I agreed with Wnope's argument?

Frivolous discursion from original point.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:23:21 PM
At 8/21/2011 2:19:54 PM, 000ike wrote:

Since when did I state that the premise was not established before me, 00ike?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:23:35 PM
At 8/21/2011 2:20:45 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

I made no such comparisons. If you did not notice, you were already engaged in skirmishes with other members, besides myself, so therefore I am not referring to our last encounter at all.

No I'm not. The only one I've argued with here is you right now, and the 2 trolls Inferno and Izbo. Everything else was a disagreement of views that wasn't anything personal. You like to argue don't you? Unfortunately for you, I have little patience for arguments like these.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:26:02 PM
At 8/21/2011 2:23:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/21/2011 2:20:45 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

No I'm not. The only one I've argued with here is you right now, and the 2 trolls Inferno and Izbo. Everything else was a disagreement of views that wasn't anything personal. You like to argue don't you? Unfortunately for you, I have little patience for arguments like these.

Excellent post. I have no patience for traditionalists like yourself who spent time into attacking a simple comment.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:28:14 PM
Oh the hypocrisy. I spend time and energy over one comment, and instead of apologizing, you spend even more time trying make appear correct that which was blatantly incorrect.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:29:48 PM
At 8/21/2011 2:28:14 PM, 000ike wrote:
Oh the hypocrisy. I spend time and energy over one comment, and instead of apologizing, you spend even more time trying make appear correct that which was blatantly incorrect.

Why should he be apologizing? I noted the irony as well.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:30:57 PM
Oh the hypocrisy.
Oh the toolishness.
I spend time and energy over one comment
Unnecessary and wasted.
and instead of apologizing
To whom? I may ask...
you spend even more time trying make appear correct that which was blatantly incorrect.
You better re-read this discussion, ike. This discussion was about the ridiculous thread, 'A Hostile World'--not about my 'offense'.

Who's the one who keeps on bringing up a comment in a different thread?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:31:11 PM
At 8/21/2011 2:29:48 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Why should he be apologizing? I noted the irony as well.

for trolling someones thread.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:32:35 PM
At 8/21/2011 2:30:57 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

You! Re-read the very first post you wrote here a few minutes ago. Honestly.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:34:56 PM
At 8/21/2011 2:32:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/21/2011 2:30:57 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

You! Re-read the very first post you wrote here a few minutes ago. Honestly.

"Wow, 00ike, are you going to complain about the hostility of this world and yet indulge in it by bickering with other members?"
Members is plural. If I was referring to your argument with myself, then member would be in singular form.

"Or are you just posting this forum up after a recent skirmish with a fellow member?"
Since you posted this thread only five days ago, then how could I be referring to my skirmish with me which only occurred minutes ago, may I ask?

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 2:53:54 PM
I'm still waiting for your response, 00ike.