Jump to topic:

Reconstruct the World

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 11:18:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm not asking what the world would be like if you took over it. I'm asking 'how would the world look if everyone followed your theology, and belief about life, government etc..'

Hopefully this gets some people rethinking their beliefs a little, because some worry me. I think I even saw a communist on here.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:26:01 PM
Well since I believe we overconsume and waste energy, pollute too much, and subject others to too much menial labor, I think the world would be unbelievably better if everybody thought like I did. There wouldn't be any rich people soaking up all the resources, there wouldn't be any authority or rules, no struggles for power, and people would live in harmony with nature and be free to do whatever they wanted.
Rob
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:28:16 PM
At 8/17/2011 12:26:01 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Well since I believe we overconsume and waste energy, pollute too much, and subject others to too much menial labor, I think the world would be unbelievably better if everybody thought like I did. There wouldn't be any rich people soaking up all the resources, there wouldn't be any authority or rules, no struggles for power, and people would live in harmony with nature and be free to do whatever they wanted.

How would any of that be achieved?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:29:47 PM
At 8/17/2011 12:28:16 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

That wasn't the question :)

Achieving this state of mind would be way beyond any means I could think of, but, if people just happened to think like I do, these would be the results.
Rob
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 1:22:20 PM
At 8/17/2011 12:29:47 PM, Lasagna wrote:

That wasn't the question :)

Achieving this state of mind would be way beyond any means I could think of, but, if people just happened to think like I do, these would be the results.

I dream of a world of chocolate rivers and barely legal teens with perfect... sorry what was the topic again?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 1:44:50 PM
My world would have a portal so we could pillage and ra...meet the people in the chocolate river world.

And, since everyone thinks like me, I don't need to do any convincing. Democracy is a synch here.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 2:51:12 PM
At 8/17/2011 11:18:46 AM, 000ike wrote:
I'm not asking what the world would be like if you took over it. I'm asking 'how would the world look if everyone followed your theology, and belief about life, government etc..'

Hopefully this gets some people rethinking their beliefs a little, because some worry me. I think I even saw a communist on here.

Lol, I saw a straight-up Stallinist the other day!
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 4:02:44 PM
It would be the same as it is now.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 7:17:07 AM

No taxes, the population would be a lot smaller, and everyone would have the means to support themselves.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 7:36:57 AM

Agnostic, don't know what 'belief about life' is, agnostic. Everyone would be mildly confused and hope that everything will work out in the end. It would probably turn out badly.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 8:05:41 AM
At 8/18/2011 7:36:57 AM, Kinesis wrote:

Agnostic, don't know what 'belief about life' is, agnostic. Everyone would be mildly confused and hope that everything will work out in the end. It would probably turn out badly.

If you don't know what 'belief about life' is then I don't think I can help you. So this is what would happen if people followed your beliefs? Things would turn out "badly"....you said it, not me.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 5:03:07 PM

The world would be great....until I die at least. Then what would be reflected?
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."

- Lionheart -
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 5:29:16 PM
I dream of a world of chocolate rivers and barely legal teens with perfect... sorry what was the topic again?:

*Quietly instructs daughter who's holding chocolate syrup to hide in the other room*
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 5:34:53 PM
At 8/19/2011 5:29:16 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I dream of a world of chocolate rivers and barely legal teens with perfect... sorry what was the topic again?:

*Quietly instructs daughter who's holding chocolate syrup to hide in the other room*

*laughs to himself*

"You are a smart man".
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."

- Lionheart -
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 9:04:35 AM
At 8/18/2011 8:05:41 AM, 000ike wrote:
If you don't know what 'belief about life' is then I don't think I can help you.

WTF? When did I ask for your help? What are you talking about? And asking what my 'belief about life' is is incredibly vague. Does it mean: what are my goals in life? What I believe physically about life - i.e. do we have souls, or are we deterministic machines? Does it mean what I think our purpose about life is? Don't accuse me of ignorance, or whatever you're implying, just because of refusing to answer an incredibly vague question.

So this is what would happen if people followed your beliefs? Things would turn out "badly"....you said it, not me.

The difference is that my ideology doesn't entail that I should attempt to convert everyone to it. It isn't a problem for my worldview at all.
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 12:48:38 PM

Everyone would do whatever they wanted insofar as they don't violate the property rights of others..... you know, generic libertarian stuff. There wouldn't be a compulsory system of government. People would be able to opt out if they please and hire a PDF for protection or just defend themselves. People would still have far ranging beliefs as to religion, god, ext. but forcing it on others or public policy would be a thing of the past. Live and let live is probably the best summary of my reconstruction. I wouldn't want people to follow my own beliefs about life or theology because they were forced, so in that case I guess I didn't really answer your question.
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:16:46 PM

Mostly, as someone else said, a very libertarian society. All could do as they wished, without violating the rights of others.

However, if I'm gonna be honest with myself, and if I'm including theology, then everyone would be an atheist--religion would be a relic of the past.

PS: I don't want to derail at all, but I feel I must ask: I don't think communism is a good system either, but I'd like to know why someone believing in communism is such a bad thing?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:17:57 PM

majority totalitarianism...
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:20:04 PM
well not even totalitarianism.. just kinda learned that word :P ..good ol' majority rule, the majority in the correct mindset.. maybe totalitarianism? lol

el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:21:01 PM
At 8/18/2011 7:17:07 AM, Kleptin wrote:

No taxes, the population would be a lot smaller, and everyone would have the means to support themselves.

why a smaller population?

el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:21:37 PM
At 8/18/2011 7:36:57 AM, Kinesis wrote:

lol

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:25:22 PM
I'm just bumping my last post:

Mostly, as someone else said, a very libertarian society. All could do as they wished, without violating the rights of others.

However, if I'm gonna be honest with myself, and if I'm including theology, then everyone would be an atheist--religion would be a relic of the past.

PS: I don't want to derail at all, but I feel I must ask: I don't think communism is a good system either, but I'd like to know why someone believing in communism is such a bad thing?

el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:29:01 PM
At 8/20/2011 1:25:22 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

dude obviously hasn't a clue... what do you think makes it a bad system?

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:31:58 PM
At 8/20/2011 1:29:01 PM, el-badgero wrote:

I can't find the words PRECISELY; I've read the Manifesto, read other com. lit, and yet, the whole system doesn't sit right with me.

Someone more intelligent than I can probably find the words for it, but....I suppose I feel that it creates too much of a totalitarianism, I guess?

el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:57:20 PM
At 8/20/2011 1:31:58 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 8/20/2011 1:29:01 PM, el-badgero wrote:

I can't find the words PRECISELY; I've read the Manifesto, read other com. lit, and yet, the whole system doesn't sit right with me.

Someone more intelligent than I can probably find the words for it, but....I suppose I feel that it creates too much of a totalitarianism, I guess?

it'd be just plain ol' majority rule though. or at least could be/should be. that's hardly a bad kind of totalitarianism? you'd think it'd be for the benefit of the majority anyway at least? short corruption. as opposed to say what is the capitalistic totalitarianism of property rights, with regards to land, intellectual property and that sort, which leave people out in the cold and starving or enslaved...

VainApocalypse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 8:10:33 PM

If everyone followed my worldview, there'd be scarce need for government. After all, the government's purpose is to protect our rights. If there were no one motivated to violate anyone's rights, government could be abolished. That's the litmus test of a good worldview.