Jump to topic:

Do you have a philosophy, and....

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 4:27:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
does it actually come into play in your daily life?

If you have a philosphy that you ascribe to, is it at all applicable in your daily life? If so how?

Essentially is there a practical application to your philosophy? Do you interact with people differently, does it impact the work you do, make any difference at all in how you will live today?

Or is it simply a way for you to make sense of the world internally? Something that further affirms your beliefs?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 5:16:57 AM
I don't think anyone can. What is a philosophy if it means nothing to how you live? As Karl Marx aptly put "The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."

Not only does my philosophy (or, perhaps, anti-philosophy) affect my life, it defines it. I have completely restructured my mind to the extent that it is impossible to go on without being profoundly changed in my active functioning.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 8:39:10 AM
I often wonder ifif people's philosophy-talk on DDO has much practical application at all, while they are labeling mine subjective and dismissing it on theoretical grounds (usually using some extraordinarily unlikely example). Not a day goes by that my philosophy doesn't apply to my life. Yesterday I was fighting with my girlfriend and I decided to cock off to her, but I thought about it and recognized that, although it seemed justifiable and desirable to say the things I wanted, that course of action was only being supplied by my anger. My best judgment would have failed me if it weren't for the extra help my philosophy gives me. Afterwards, after the anger left me, I reconsidered how things would have gone if I had chosen to let my anger go and I see I would have made a bad situation worse, as I got an apology later that I certainly wouldn't have gotten (I would have just prolonged the grief).
Rob
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 6:24:19 PM
Philosophy is basically mental masturbation. Anyone who is philosophically advanced will get to the point to where they realize that they are just dealing with mental phantoms.

The grid you place over reality greatly effects how you perceive it. While most see order, I see chaos. I see the perceived order as truly being chaos. Yet at the same time, I see this chaos as being fundamentally orderly. However, the TRUE order is beyond the scope of human comprehension, and is indistinguishable from TRUE chaos.

In an attempt to clarify what I mean, humans have the innate desire to organize things into categories and boxes. We measure everything, and make measurable what is not measurable.

Now, this is a good thing, but the problem arises when we begin to believe our measurements to be what is real, and not what it is we are measuring. When confronted with chaos, we look for patterns, and then place a grid that seems to match what the patterns are. When something violates this, it confounds us. This is why people have trouble understanding quantum physics, they believe that the grid we have placed over reality is real. They believe in a formula without knowing what the formula represents.

My philosophy is entirely guided by the understanding that I live in a world where everyone is insane, and guided by objects that only exist in their mind. Because I understand this, I am better able to navigate through this world of absurdity, and it has greatly effected my ability to communicate effectively with the wide variety of people I meet.

The difference between most people, as I have observed.. Most people have a philosophy that mostly effects how they view the world. I, on the other hand, have a philosophy that is more effected by how I view the world.

The other difference I've found is that I am completely aware of my insanity, while most people aren't truly aware. An understanding of my philosophy makes it so that I am incapable of taking it or myself all that seriously. The very nature of the the philosophy realizes that it can not be effectively communicated.

You can not transfer understanding. Even the words we use are phantoms, they don't really exist as most think they do.

Everything is a symbol, the way we view the world is through symbols. We do not perceive actuality. The insanity of human kind is a result of the fact that we believe the symbols are what they represent.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 6:32:01 PM
Philosophy can have profound implications. Philosophy isn't just old, dead white men. Philosophy virtually underwrites everything we believe, ranging from political views and practical concerns to as far out as metaphysics. There is a debate in the philosophical community about "far out" philosophy like metaphysics and its usefulness, but there is a philosophy of virtually everything.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 3:41:01 AM
At 8/29/2011 8:39:10 AM, Lasagna wrote:
I often wonder ifif people's philosophy-talk on DDO has much practical application at all, while they are labeling mine subjective and dismissing it on theoretical grounds (usually using some extraordinarily unlikely example). Not a day goes by that my philosophy doesn't apply to my life. Yesterday I was fighting with my girlfriend and I decided to cock off to her, but I thought about it and recognized that, although it seemed justifiable and desirable to say the things I wanted, that course of action was only being supplied by my anger. My best judgment would have failed me if it weren't for the extra help my philosophy gives me. Afterwards, after the anger left me, I reconsidered how things would have gone if I had chosen to let my anger go and I see I would have made a bad situation worse, as I got an apology later that I certainly wouldn't have gotten (I would have just prolonged the grief).

The only one here who has given concrete example of its application to how it works in your life. The rest are all about how we perceive the world - and in many cases i think people are looking for a label to put on how they want to perceive the world.

@Cosmic - I agree that so much of philosophical study and ruminations are a form of mental masturbation, and ego enhancement, and that you can get to a point where it's meaningless - at least that happened to me a long time ago.

Much of philosophy is making sense of life and the world, without any real practical application to real life. I don't see much value in that, some, but not a tremendous amount.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 9:21:38 AM
Well how much does sociology, political science, or psychology have an effect on your everyday life? Even if its a non-liberal arts field like engineering, physics, or chemistry it's likely to have little application in every day life outside the work environment. Philosophy, like many of the rest of the liberal arts, is to help people gain a deeper academic understanding of certain movements or attitudes. However, if you choose to let it impact you to a greater degree (like with moral attitudes or general views about life) then by all means like live Meursault in The Stranger.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 10:27:24 AM
At 8/30/2011 9:21:38 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Well how much does sociology, political science, or psychology have an effect on your everyday life? Even if its a non-liberal arts field like engineering, physics, or chemistry it's likely to have little application in every day life outside the work environment. Philosophy, like many of the rest of the liberal arts, is to help people gain a deeper academic understanding of certain movements or attitudes. However, if you choose to let it impact you to a greater degree (like with moral attitudes or general views about life) then by all means like live Meursault in The Stranger.

Is that truly what philosophy is, "to gain a a deeper academic understanding of certain movements and attitudes"? Hmmmmm
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 10:29:27 AM
At 8/29/2011 6:24:19 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Philosophy is basically mental masturbation. Anyone who is philosophically advanced will get to the point to where they realize that they are just dealing with mental phantoms.

This.

(Sorry I did not read the rest it just seemed to be a lot of jelly and honking).
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 10:42:06 AM
At 8/30/2011 10:27:24 AM, innomen wrote:

Is that truly what philosophy is, "to gain a a deeper academic understanding of certain movements and attitudes"? Hmmmmm

Well, academic is personal, at least to me. If I learn something in a class about some concept related to X it doesn't just stay in the class room. I'm just wondering why philosophy is getting picked out here - of what practical use is sociology, psychology or political science? Liberal arts is not shop class.

It effects you as much as you allow it to. For Christ's sake, it puts forth direct ideas on how to live properly. That's more "practical application" than virtually all the liberal arts. Obviously if you ignore it it will have little impact on you "practically" but "value" is not synonymous with practicality.

All of philosophy is certainly not mental masturbation - ethics, political philosophy based on ideas of human nature, and logic have real value outside of doing the thinking for thinking's sake. If you want to talk the value of metaphysics I suggest you talk to PCP since it seems to be his expertise.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 11:25:07 AM
It effects you as much as you allow it to. For Christ's sake, it puts forth direct ideas on how to live properly.

Tell me how to live, Justin. Demonstrate to us how your studies of philosophy can help me be better off. If you can give me one, irrefutable principle to live by then I will eat my hat. You know my principles already, and you know that I can show that mine work every time, the only limiting factor being the reality of the question.

So let's ditch the theoretical nonsense, in which reality is bent and skewed around examples which have no basis in reality. Does anybody want to play guinea pig to our moral systems and see how it works for them? You need not have very much in terms of moral dilemmas; simply give your basic goals and your general situation and we will show you how our systems can guide you and tell you "how to live." A few exchanges to gather information will be necessary.

Does anyone have any questions about situations in thier life where they might be unsure about how to proceed based on what is right?
Rob
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 12:40:39 PM
At 8/30/2011 11:25:07 AM, Lasagna wrote:
It effects you as much as you allow it to. For Christ's sake, it puts forth direct ideas on how to live properly.

Tell me how to live, Justin. Demonstrate to us how your studies of philosophy can help me be better off. If you can give me one, irrefutable principle to live by then I will eat my hat. You know my principles already, and you know that I can show that mine work every time, the only limiting factor being the reality of the question.

So let's ditch the theoretical nonsense, in which reality is bent and skewed around examples which have no basis in reality. Does anybody want to play guinea pig to our moral systems and see how it works for them? You need not have very much in terms of moral dilemmas; simply give your basic goals and your general situation and we will show you how our systems can guide you and tell you "how to live." A few exchanges to gather information will be necessary.

Does anyone have any questions about situations in thier life where they might be unsure about how to proceed based on what is right?

The question isn't irrefutable principles. I saw you quote Plato in the Health forum - you do realize just in that text (The Republic) he devotes a decent portion of the book to simply the question "Why be good?" with a dialogue with Thrasymachus. He is providing answers to direct, practical questions concerning behavior. The question is if you agree with it, and whether you let it impact your personal life.

If you want to argue that these ideas are really groundless then we can debate that, but so far you haven't really followed up on any of my debate challenges.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 2:39:03 PM
At 8/30/2011 10:42:06 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 8/30/2011 10:27:24 AM, innomen wrote:

Well, academic is personal, at least to me. If I learn something in a class about some concept related to X it doesn't just stay in the class room. I'm just wondering why philosophy is getting picked out here - of what practical use is sociology, psychology or political science? Liberal arts is not shop class.

Because this is a philosophy forum. I have similar concerns about other social sciences.

It effects you as much as you allow it to. For Christ's sake, it puts forth direct ideas on how to live properly. That's more "practical application" than virtually all the liberal arts. Obviously if you ignore it it will have little impact on you "practically" but "value" is not synonymous with practicality.

It might put forth ideas, but do those ideas impact your day, today, how so? Does your philosophy allow you to live better than the guy down the street? How so?

All of philosophy is certainly not mental masturbation - ethics, political philosophy based on ideas of human nature, and logic have real value outside of doing the thinking for thinking's sake. If you want to talk the value of metaphysics I suggest you talk to PCP since it seems to be his expertise.
Ahhh, but PCP is generally applying his theology to his metaphysics, and would you say that has more application in daily life?

Would you say that someone's theological belief system is more likely to have a direct impact on their daily life, how they actually conduct themselves and make decisions than a philosophical belief system?

I once had a conversation with someone who was distraught over the implications of determinism. Now, I cannot imagine spending a moment of my life worrying about such implications, although i might navel gaze about it, but seriously, i still have to get up in the morning and go about my day - nothing changes as a result of being a determinist.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 2:45:38 PM
"my philosophy" fits in rather well with my daily approach to things and provides a backdrop for my normal/everyday understanding of things.

If you had a "philosophy" which Conflicted somehow with your everyday life/understandings.. I would think you're ridiculous in your beliefs and actions.

Philosophy is the Backdrop of your beliefs.. their roots.. their Ultimate explanations...

If "your philosophy" doesn't account for the everyday.. it's not explaining much.. if it Conflicts, you've got a problem.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 2:58:47 PM
CosmicAlfonzo said:
Philosophy is fake, imaginary and sucks

*Writes long philosophical essay*
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 3:01:01 PM
At 8/29/2011 4:27:29 AM, innomen wrote:
does it actually come into play in your daily life?

If you have a philosphy that you ascribe to, is it at all applicable in your daily life? If so how?

Essentially is there a practical application to your philosophy? Do you interact with people differently, does it impact the work you do, make any difference at all in how you will live today?

Or is it simply a way for you to make sense of the world internally? Something that further affirms your beliefs?

Depends on what part of my philosophy(philosophical beliefs). If we talk about metaphysics, it's simply a way to understand the world around me and to a lesser extent epistemology too. But ethics is pretty big to me. I recently moved away from nihilism and over to Hoppean argumentation ethics and the conclusions from that influence me a lot though not too much since I'm still a minor and can't do much anyways. Ethics I guess is a little of both. Even if I never come into the situation where I have to decide if a chicken or a baby's life is more valuable(for example), these things are still important to me and I take the topic seriously.
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 3:08:40 PM
It might put forth ideas, but do those ideas impact your day, today, how so? Does your philosophy allow you to live better than the guy down the street? How so?

For me, yes. I was a moral nihilist around a year ago and your entire perception of morality shifts. I'm probably more moral in the traditional sense than I was last year. Before you can answer the question of "am I living better than the guy next door?" You need to establish what "better" is (the normative part) and whether being "better" is really worth it. There is tons of literature spanning over 2,000 years devoted to this subject. If someone decides to ignore it or view it purely as a topic of academic interest divorced from your personal feelings than that's his choice.

Ahhh, but PCP is generally applying his theology to his metaphysics, and would you say that has more application in daily life?

Good question. Metaphysics is such a broad field and it appears that science in recent decades has made really deep contributions to some of the traditional debates like free will vs. determinism, rationalism vs. empiricism, mind and matter, and many more. Theology is really not my area, though.

Would you say that someone's theological belief system is more likely to have a direct impact on their daily life, how they actually conduct themselves and make decisions than a philosophical belief system?

It's a personal decision.

I once had a conversation with someone who was distraught over the implications of determinism. Now, I cannot imagine spending a moment of my life worrying about such implications, although i might navel gaze about it, but seriously, i still have to get up in the morning and go about my day - nothing changes as a result of being a determinist.

This is one of the areas where science has made enormous headway in answering. Steven Pinker in The Blank Slate and later Sam Harris in The Moral Landscape put up persuasive, scientific arguments in favor of determinism, and likely echo your view than "it's not that big of deal."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 3:10:55 PM
My political philosophy influences how I think about economics, how I interact with authority, determines whether I commit initiatory coercion, which laws to follow and which laws to dismiss, etc.

My existential philosophy (Buddhism) has only mildly affected my behavior, but greatly impacts how I view the world, I also make time for meditation from time to time, it greatly affects how I percieve and react to events, it brings peace of mind, inspires, and helps me maintain composure.

I don't see how a personal held philosophy cannot affect you. Philosophies determine how your mind works, what it thinks of things, how it analyzes and judges things, how it acts, etc.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 3:24:03 PM
Philosophy mainly comes into practical application as a means of rationalizing the behavior you already planned to take. It's a bit of a chicken/egg thing.

You could have had a holocaust by just saying "I don't like jews. Let's kill them." but instead the genocide was philosophically justified. I find it hard to believe that someone who is against genocide would turn favorably towards genocide just by reading Mein Kampf.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 3:37:29 PM
At 8/30/2011 3:24:03 PM, Wnope wrote:
Philosophy mainly comes into practical application as a means of rationalizing the behavior you already planned to take. It's a bit of a chicken/egg thing.

Exactly, rationalizing behavior is after the fact of the behavior, not a contributor to the behavior.

You could have had a holocaust by just saying "I don't like jews. Let's kill them." but instead the genocide was philosophically justified. I find it hard to believe that someone who is against genocide would turn favorably towards genocide just by reading Mein Kampf.
More to my point: the holocaust probably wouldn't have happened if people were actually following a personal philosophy, as it is doubtful that so many people would adopt such a personal philosophy, but rather fall in line with what others are doing.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 3:45:32 PM
At 8/30/2011 3:08:40 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

For me, yes. I was a moral nihilist around a year ago and your entire perception of morality shifts. I'm probably more moral in the traditional sense than I was last year. Before you can answer the question of "am I living better than the guy next door?" You need to establish what "better" is (the normative part) and whether being "better" is really worth it. There is tons of literature spanning over 2,000 years devoted to this subject. If someone decides to ignore it or view it purely as a topic of academic interest divorced from your personal feelings than that's his choice.

You are the one who asserted that it helps you live better, and i am trying to understand what you mean by that. You just give fluffy information. My point is, look at Rob's response, an example of how he actually lives better. So when you were a moral nihilist, murder was more okay then than now? Give me some application, otherwise just say there is none.

Good question. Metaphysics is such a broad field and it appears that science in recent decades has made really deep contributions to some of the traditional debates like free will vs. determinism, rationalism vs. empiricism, mind and matter, and many more. Theology is really not my area, though.

fine

It's a personal decision.

I would disagree, but that's for another thread.

This is one of the areas where science has made enormous headway in answering. Steven Pinker in The Blank Slate and later Sam Harris in The Moral Landscape put up persuasive, scientific arguments in favor of determinism, and likely echo your view than "it's not that big of deal."

So after all the arguments have concluded, what's changed? Do you tie your shoes differently? Is your life impacted by this? If everything is predetermined what are the actual implications in how you will live differently with that belief?
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 3:46:01 PM

I disagree. Many of my believes have changed drastically upon philosophical reflection, examples being full self ownership, rationalism vs. empiricism, and the existence of free will. I didn't intuitively believe free will existed and so look for justification, I was actually a determinist before I accepted free will.

Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 3:48:04 PM

That's not the case with me. When I developed my political philosophy, it completely changed the way I looked at things. I didn't have a certain view point already and simply used existing philosophies to justify myself. That would be absurd.

What about all the Atheists who used to be devout Christians? Do you think they actually were Atheists all along or was new information and arguments given to them which prompted them to critically analyze their own beliefs and abandon their previous religious values. Think about it.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 3:50:59 PM
At 8/30/2011 3:48:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

That's not the case with me. When I developed my political philosophy, it completely changed the way I looked at things. I didn't have a certain view point already and simply used existing philosophies to justify myself. That would be absurd.

What about all the Atheists who used to be devout Christians? Do you think they actually were Atheists all along or was new information and arguments given to them which prompted them to critically analyze their own beliefs and abandon their previous religious values. Think about it.

I agree with Geo completely--I'm one of the atheists he gave as an example. Although I would like to note that generally speaking, changing your views takes a long time, it isn't a drop of the dime thing.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 4:10:44 PM
At 8/30/2011 3:50:59 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I agree with Geo completely--I'm one of the atheists he gave as an example. Although I would like to note that generally speaking, changing your views takes a long time, it isn't a drop of the dime thing.

So now that you are an atheist do you treat people differently, how has your day today been different as a result of being an atheist?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 4:19:47 PM
At 8/30/2011 2:58:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
CosmicAlfonzo said:

When did I speak of philosophy in a negative light?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 4:27:59 PM
At 8/30/2011 4:10:44 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/30/2011 3:50:59 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

So now that you are an atheist do you treat people differently, how has your day today been different as a result of being an atheist?

Well, ever since becoming an atheist, my life has largely begun to revolve around political and philosophical thought. As well, I find myself much more skeptical/critical of things I am told in real life.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 4:32:41 PM
At 8/30/2011 4:19:47 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
CosmicAlfonzo said:

You said philosophy is mental masturbation. Masturbation is an activity that feels good, but has no purpose, no bearing on understanding reality, no benefit beyond personal stimulation.

You also said that advanced philosophers are dealing with mental phantoms. Sounds like youre saying philosophy is fake.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 4:38:16 PM
At 8/30/2011 4:32:41 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/30/2011 4:19:47 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
CosmicAlfonzo said:

You said philosophy is mental masturbation. Masturbation is an activity that feels good, but has no purpose, no bearing on understanding reality, no benefit beyond personal stimulation.

Is sex really that much better than masturbation when you think of it like that? Maybe slightly.. There is nothing wrong about masturbation, and I'm sure it's more productive than people give it credit.

Everyone, quit staring at me.

*turns around and faps*

You also said that advanced philosophers are dealing with mental phantoms. Sounds like youre saying philosophy is fake.

If you are a Buddhist, you should, on paper, have an easier time grasping what it is I am saying than most. Buddha spoke extensively on this same subject.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 5:03:20 PM
You are the one who asserted that it helps you live better, and i am trying to understand what you mean by that. You just give fluffy information. My point is, look at Rob's response, an example of how he actually lives better. So when you were a moral nihilist, murder was more okay then than now? Give me some application, otherwise just say there is none.

So I suppose Rob made the point that philosophy has practical application, no? You cite his as an example. As a moral nihilist, it would be a factually inaccuracy to claim that murder, for whatever reason, is wrong. When you have these types of attitudes its bound to have personal repercussions. There are moral nihilists on this board like mattrodstrom who will refuse to admit any real moral difference between Hitler and Gandhi.

I don't see these types of attitudes as being completely separate from personal morality. I'm not saying moral nihilists are necessarily bad people, but that radical of a morality is bound to have some effect, if you see what I mean.

So after all the arguments have concluded, what's changed? Do you tie your shoes differently? Is your life impacted by this? If everything is predetermined what are the actual implications in how you will live differently with that belief?

I don't really look at it this way. After Einstein put forth his theory of relativity and that time is dependent on velocity did that change anything for you or me? No, for the average person it did not. Did the Mona Lisa change anything? I would say not significantly, but this hardly matter because value is more than direct personal application.

I'll admit free will vs. determinism has little relationship to direct, personal applicability but ethics should tie in if you take the field seriously. Logic should also matter, I would hope.