Jump to topic:

Philosophy vs Science

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 12:37:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
It's been noted that trying to define the word "philosophy" is less than staight forward. It's also been observed that what we call "science" today evolved out of the philosophy of the past. We see a transitional fossil of this in the expression "natural philosopher", an old phrase used to describe a person that we would now call a scientist.

So where should the line between philosophy and science be drawn. I consider philosophy and science both investigations into reality. When an investigation can be made a subject of an empirical experiment then it ceases to be philosophy and becomes science. This is the yard stick I use to deliniate between the two. Do you have a different, or perhaps more refined way of distinguishing philosophy from science?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 3:29:05 PM
At 9/8/2011 12:37:50 PM, vbaculum wrote:
It's been noted that trying to define the word "philosophy" is less than staight forward. It's also been observed that what we call "science" today evolved out of the philosophy of the past. We see a transitional fossil of this in the expression "natural philosopher", an old phrase used to describe a person that we would now call a scientist.

So where should the line between philosophy and science be drawn. I consider philosophy and science both investigations into reality. When an investigation can be made a subject of an empirical experiment then it ceases to be philosophy and becomes science. This is the yard stick I use to deliniate between the two. Do you have a different, or perhaps more refined way of distinguishing philosophy from science?

Philosophy - Metaphysical logic

Science - Physical logic
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 4:36:55 PM
Science is a method that attempts to work within the bounds of our epistemological limitations.

Philosophy is less precise, but it helps us become aware of our own epistemological limitations.

They both influence each other, but there would be no science if not for philosophy.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Seremonia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 5:30:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Generally philosophy must help us to see something to the farthest extent that we can possibly achieve gradually by deepening the knowledge from any fields and to see where something to be placed on, so we can be guided to achieve something at best gradually.

Philosophy stands on any fields of knowledge to further deepening knowledge with the purpose to be able to see where ourselves should be placed correctly.

Science must be supporter for philosophy to be working properly, and vice versa.

To be more specific:

Science to Philosophy: philosophy is working on reasonable thinking, and science can be a witness for correctness of an axiom from philosophy, and further philosophy will use this proven axiom with another axiom (that may not be proven yet), to gain another axioms, and

Philosophy to Science: axioms from philosophy may be used by scientist to see any possible extent as hypotesis that may be followed by scientific observation.

If this kind of relationship can be constructed nicely, it will be a mutual relationship to both. Both will gain assertions, corrections and possibilities wider and wider (applicable knowledge) than before, from both (philosophy and science), one to another.
I am free not because I have choices, but I am free because I rely on God with quality assured!
jedipengiun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 11:11:02 AM
I see science as just a method or process of what is, and is a subset of philosophy. Then a scientist is a practitioner of the scientific method. A philosopher looks more deeply into the foundations of the scientific method.

Science is what knowledge has been derived using the scientific method, and philosophy is what is used to decide how and where the method applies.
Things that make me happy!

: At 6/22/2012 1:46:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

: At 8/27/2012 10:00:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
: Every self-respecting philosopher needs to smoke a pipe.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 3:13:38 PM

I would have to agree with you. I also think that any "science" with the word "theoretical" in front of it is more philosophy than science.

Curious, what would you consider Mathematics?
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 6:36:32 PM
At 11/2/2012 3:13:38 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:

I would have to agree with you. I also think that any "science" with the word "theoretical" in front of it is more philosophy than science.

Curious, what would you consider Mathematics?

Perhaps a technology - a technology being defined as: a set of tools developed from an inquiry into the natural world (science). Numbers are aspects of the natural world. Mathematics (algebra, calculus, etc) are tools to further analyse the world.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it