Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

was Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha) enlightened?

lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:20:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
A lot of people, (including myself) delight in his teaching, but was he really enlightened? Discuss!
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:44:28 AM
At 9/9/2011 7:35:46 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Define "enlightened."

en·light·ened
adjective

1.Having or showing a rational, modern, and well-informed outlook
- the more enlightened employers offer better terms

2.Spiritually aware
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 9:21:44 AM
At 9/9/2011 7:45:32 AM, MikeHunt wrote:
sure he was a nice guy
That wasn't the question. So was Jesus, but that doesn't make him God.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 9:26:07 AM
At 9/9/2011 7:44:28 AM, lotus_flower wrote:
Define "enlightened."

en·light·ened
adjective

2.Spiritually aware

If we go by both of those definitions, I'd say yes.

Though, for the former, he could probably do a few more sermons on Ipods.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 9:26:10 AM
Why don't you just make your case. I'm sure you're just dying to ejaculate all over the forum about Buddah, so let's just get it over with.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 9:39:26 AM
At 9/9/2011 9:26:10 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Why don't you just make your case. I'm sure you're just dying to ejaculate all over the forum about Buddah, so let's just get it over with.
First of all, Buddha, not buddah.
Second, I am not Buddhist, I just wanted to have a conversation about a philosopher who I enjoy the teachings of. So, I have no "case". Don't be a dick.
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 9:40:42 AM
At 9/9/2011 9:26:07 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 9/9/2011 7:44:28 AM, lotus_flower wrote:
Define "enlightened."

en·light·ened
adjective

2.Spiritually aware

If we go by both of those definitions, I'd say yes.

Though, for the former, he could probably do a few more sermons on Ipods.

Podcast from Buddha... lol
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 9:51:22 AM
First of all, Buddha, not buddah.:

Second of all, typo...

Second, I am not Buddhist, I just wanted to have a conversation about a philosopher who I enjoy the teachings of. So, I have no "case". Don't be a dick.:

I'm telling you to make a case instead of being vague and cryptic.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 9:54:23 AM
At 9/9/2011 9:51:22 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
First of all, Buddha, not buddah.:

Second of all, typo...

Second, I am not Buddhist, I just wanted to have a conversation about a philosopher who I enjoy the teachings of. So, I have no "case". Don't be a dick.:

I'm telling you to make a case instead of being vague and cryptic.

But I don't have a case, I want to hear everyone else's opinion.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 10:10:54 AM
But I don't have a case, I want to hear everyone else's opinion.:

Very well, then. I don't see anything extraordinary about Siddhartha. In my estimation, the declarations attributed to him seem to be basic, common sense and not something worthy of a cult following. But Buddhists certainly don't bother me, so if people would like to pour their efforts in to following his ways, it's of no consequence to me.

To sum it up, I'm indifferent.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 11:06:25 AM
Abandoning your family is hardly an enlightened thing to do. That is pretty much all that needs to be said.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 11:48:06 AM
At 9/9/2011 11:06:25 AM, BennyW wrote:
Abandoning your family is hardly an enlightened thing to do. That is pretty much all that needs to be said.

Following tradition, He was not yet enlightened when he left his life of excess.
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 12:48:43 PM
At 9/9/2011 9:39:26 AM, lotus_flower wrote:
At 9/9/2011 9:26:10 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
First of all, Buddha, not buddah.
Second, I am not Buddhist, I just wanted to have a conversation about a philosopher who I enjoy the teachings of. So, I have no "case". Don't be a dick.

More Like a spiritual leader with principles
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 3:20:18 PM
At 9/9/2011 10:10:54 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Very well, then. I don't see anything extraordinary about Siddhartha. In my estimation, the declarations attributed to him seem to be basic, common sense and not something worthy of a cult following. But Buddhists certainly don't bother me, so if people would like to pour their efforts in to following his ways, it's of no consequence to me.

To sum it up, I'm indifferent.

Mostly all true spiritual teachers teach what is common sense; simple comprehension. Simple knowledge that helps us break the shackles of our current reality. The rest is just dogma in my opinion.

Buddha, Krishna, Mohammad, Jesus, etc.

Enlightened souls. Spiritual teachers. Not Gods.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 6:23:33 PM

Very well, then. I don't see anything extraordinary about Siddhartha. In my estimation, the declarations attributed to him seem to be basic, common sense

Very ignorant statement. You demonstrate an absolute zero knowledge of Buddhism. I don't think a "basic, common sense" philosophy would have doctrines about "the five aggregates," "dependent origination," "transience," "insubstantiality of the ego," "cyclical multiverse" and has a philosophy that covers more sophisticated areas that most religions don't touch on such as epistemology, phenomenology, ontology, psychology, etc.

For God's sake the Buddha accurately determined the size of an atom 2000 years before we had technology to observe them not to mention he posited evolution as the origins of living creatures.

Let's not even get me started on the Abhidhamma text. I doubt you'd even be able to read through and understand it. Not so basic as you claim it to be.

Before you start criticizing and calling Buddhism simplistic and basic, do your research first.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:21:49 PM
Very well, then. I don't see anything extraordinary about Siddhartha. In my estimation, the declarations attributed to him seem to be basic, common sense

Very ignorant statement.:

This coming from a guy who thinks the world is actually run by a cabal of shapeshifting lizard-people. You are the world's most gullible human being who gravitates towards all things conspiratorial, eccentric, and ecclectic... not because it can be substantiated, but because you WANT to believe it.

You're in no position to school anyone on this forum, so check your fire, soldier.

You demonstrate an absolute zero knowledge of Buddhism.:

You're just mad because I don't jack off to Buddhism. I'm unmoved by it. So sue me.

For God's sake the Buddha accurately determined the size of an atom 2000 years before we had technology to observe them not to mention he posited evolution as the origins of living creatures.:

First of all, please demonstrate how Buddha 1. Knew what an atom was and, 2. Accurately determined the size of an atom

Secondly, a lot of cultures posited evolution long before Darwin, including the Greeks. So what's your point?

Let's not even get me started on the Abhidhamma text. I doubt you'd even be able to read through and understand it. Not so basic as you claim it to be.:

If I didn't "understand it," it is a distinct possibility that it would be due to it being incomprehensible gobbledegook, not necessarily because it's just so much more superior to my inferior intellect.

Before you start criticizing and calling Buddhism simplistic and basic, do your research first.:

Geo, you'll only be satisfied until I accept Buddhism as some universal truth. I could read every word the man ever composed and come to the same conclusion, and because I didn't immediately ejaculate to it, you'd likely just say the same thing... sooo..... yeah.....
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:23:34 PM
At 9/9/2011 6:23:33 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Very ignorant statement. You demonstrate an absolute zero knowledge of Buddhism. I don't think a "basic, common sense" philosophy would have doctrines about "the five aggregates," "dependent origination," "transience," "insubstantiality of the ego," "cyclical multiverse" and has a philosophy that covers more sophisticated areas that most religions don't touch on such as epistemology, phenomenology, ontology, psychology, etc.

For God's sake the Buddha accurately determined the size of an atom 2000 years before we had technology to observe them not to mention he posited evolution as the origins of living creatures.

Let's not even get me started on the Abhidhamma text. I doubt you'd even be able to read through and understand it. Not so basic as you claim it to be.

Before you start criticizing and calling Buddhism simplistic and basic, do your research first.

lol.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:39:17 PM
At 9/9/2011 7:21:49 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Very ignorant statement.:

This coming from a guy who thinks the world is actually run by a cabal of shapeshifting lizard-people. You are the world's most gullible human being who gravitates towards all things conspiratorial, eccentric, and ecclectic... not because it can be substantiated, but because you WANT to believe it.

You are guilty of the same crime. We all are.

If you rule out conspiracies, that makes you just as gullible.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 8:24:35 AM
If you rule out conspiracies, that makes you just as gullible.:

I don't rule out conspiracies or anything else. I'm talking about people who have a clear penchant for all things conspiratorial and arcane. There's a type of people who gravitate towards these kind of things. It's something they desparately want to believe, not because it has any substance or veracity.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 2:19:05 PM
At 9/10/2011 8:24:35 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
If you rule out conspiracies, that makes you just as gullible.:

I don't rule out conspiracies or anything else. I'm talking about people who have a clear penchant for all things conspiratorial and arcane. There's a type of people who gravitate towards these kind of things. It's something they desparately want to believe, not because it has any substance or veracity.

How do you know there isn't any substance to their beliefs? You must ask yourself who is the qualified judge over such beliefs and if you are in fact being gullible by not considering the possibility valid.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 1:50:31 PM

On a quest for truth, a journey to benefit all of mankind. Also, he left his family before he became Enlightened. Not to mention, his family was taken care of, he left his wife and child to a palace of rich luxeries. Oh my God, that's so horrible!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 1:53:28 PM
At 9/12/2011 1:50:31 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

On a quest for truth, a journey to benefit all of mankind. Also, he left his family before he became Enlightened. Not to mention, his family was taken care of, he left his wife and child to a palace of rich luxeries. Oh my God, that's so horrible!

So, it's okay to abandon one's family provided you leave them with money?

Who asked him to benefit all mankind? What if his wife wanted him to stay with her?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 2:38:19 PM
Dude, that wife got it good.

Saved her the trouble of filing for divorce later, and instead of getting half of her husband's sh!t, she got all of it!

I doubt she'd be complaining.

Plus, Siddhartha was always really spacey and in the clouds anyway. Wasn't paying enough attention to her boobies. Specially those last few months. He was probably a f@g anyway.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 2:41:18 PM
At 9/12/2011 2:38:19 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Dude, that wife got it good.

Saved her the trouble of filing for divorce later, and instead of getting half of her husband's sh!t, she got all of it!

I doubt she'd be complaining.

Plus, Siddhartha was always really spacey and in the clouds anyway. Wasn't paying enough attention to her boobies. Specially those last few months. He was probably a f@g anyway.

Can you enlighten me as to why a man does that?

If you find out the reason, can an enlightened person then achieve the same effect without actually catching site of said couplets?

Also, why do you assume the wife wouldn't complain? Why wouldn't a wife want a husband, that too like Siddhartha?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 2:51:59 PM
Actually the Buddha was highly sexually active having sex with multiple exotic women all the time. This was right before he decided to go on his journey of Enlightenment. I wouldn't doubt for one second that the Buddha is fully ok with those prior acts and has no remorse for them.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 2:52:19 PM
Everybody knows that women are complete attention whores, especially the princess types.

Siddhartha had his head in the clouds, and probably looked like a self absorbed @sshole to her.

Also, he had a small penis. Daarun was far better when it came to pleasing her in all the right ways.
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 7:20:46 AM
At 9/12/2011 2:52:19 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Everybody knows that women are complete attention whores, especially the princess types.

Siddhartha had his head in the clouds, and probably looked like a self absorbed @sshole to her.

Also, he had a small penis. Daarun was far better when it came to pleasing her in all the right ways.

I realized that her saying F@g was offensive. and then I realized she was a troll. I refuse to feed the trolls. Lets all ignore her.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 11:19:06 AM
She meant it to be offensive. She's the snooty princess type.