Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

The source of life... Gravity?

Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 3:20:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have been pondering lately how to determine if something is alive, without bias. I feel that an accurate definition may be something that acts of it's own will, but even the will of one life can control the activity of another. Then I was thinking that the source of all activity would need to be traced back to it's point of origin in order to find the answer.

To my knowledge this would root all activity into gravity. Then I must ask... What moves gravity? What is gravity? We know what gravity does, it attracts, it moves things. That is not what gravity isin essence, that's what gravity does. What is the essence of gravity? Is it the source of life? Is gravity the "will" of a supreme entity?

If not... what influences, activates, or moves gravity?
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 4:46:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Gravity is basically a description of what gravity does.

Why does it happen? The laws of the universe just so happen to work in that way. Do we fully understand gravity as of now? No.

All matter has a gravitational force. Matter attracts matter. It is a weak force that really is only noticeable when you are dealing with large masses, such as planets.

Sure, in the broadest sense of the word, you could say that gravity is literally the "will" of a supreme being, as the laws the hold existence together can be considered the "will" of a supreme being.

Now, whether or not you think it is appropriate to call this life is another story. But if you are talking to another person about "life", it is essential that you are both using the same definition of life.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 6:09:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 4:46:52 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Gravity is basically a description of what gravity does.

Why does it happen? The laws of the universe just so happen to work in that way. Do we fully understand gravity as of now? No.

All matter has a gravitational force. Matter attracts matter. It is a weak force that really is only noticeable when you are dealing with large masses, such as planets.

Sure, in the broadest sense of the word, you could say that gravity is literally the "will" of a supreme being, as the laws the hold existence together can be considered the "will" of a supreme being.

Now, whether or not you think it is appropriate to call this life is another story. But if you are talking to another person about "life", it is essential that you are both using the same definition of life.

I agree... people's definition of what is considered living is usually of a chosen bias. It would have to be agreed upon for a serious discussion to continue.

What is your definition of something being "alive"?
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
kogline
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 8:10:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
any definition of life is going to be inherently biased, you can't get around this.

the more science classes i take the more i realize that science is only the observation of the universe, not the explanation of it.

gravity is the observation that things fall down, not an explanation of why things fall down.
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 8:12:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 8:10:12 PM, kogline wrote:
any definition of life is going to be inherently biased, you can't get around this.

the more science classes i take the more i realize that science is only the observation of the universe, not the explanation of it.

gravity is the observation that things fall down, not an explanation of why things fall down.

Things fall down because of gravity......lol you see where that logic goes wrong?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 11:02:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 8:12:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:10:12 PM, kogline wrote:
any definition of life is going to be inherently biased, you can't get around this.

the more science classes i take the more i realize that science is only the observation of the universe, not the explanation of it.

gravity is the observation that things fall down, not an explanation of why things fall down.

Things fall down because of gravity......lol you see where that logic goes wrong?

When it really comes down to it, you can't accurately explain why anything does what it does.

The fact of the matter is, it just fuggin does, dawg.

Now, that said, you can really get mathematical with the things that do, but as for why anything does anything... It's a miracle man. Fvcking magnets, how do they work?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 11:06:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 11:02:53 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:12:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:10:12 PM, kogline wrote:
any definition of life is going to be inherently biased, you can't get around this.

the more science classes i take the more i realize that science is only the observation of the universe, not the explanation of it.

gravity is the observation that things fall down, not an explanation of why things fall down.

Things fall down because of gravity......lol you see where that logic goes wrong?

When it really comes down to it, you can't accurately explain why anything does what it does.

The fact of the matter is, it just fuggin does, dawg.

Now, that said, you can really get mathematical with the things that do, but as for why anything does anything... It's a miracle man. Fvcking magnets, how do they work?

Actually, you can compile all the questions of why things do what they do into the singular question of: What is the meaning of life? or Why do we exist? ...what came first, the chicken or the egg?

The magnets thing.....here you go: http://lmgtfy.com... ....thats what you should have done.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 12:44:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 11:06:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/10/2011 11:02:53 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:12:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:10:12 PM, kogline wrote:
any definition of life is going to be inherently biased, you can't get around this.

the more science classes i take the more i realize that science is only the observation of the universe, not the explanation of it.

gravity is the observation that things fall down, not an explanation of why things fall down.

Things fall down because of gravity......lol you see where that logic goes wrong?

When it really comes down to it, you can't accurately explain why anything does what it does.

The fact of the matter is, it just fuggin does, dawg.

Now, that said, you can really get mathematical with the things that do, but as for why anything does anything... It's a miracle man. Fvcking magnets, how do they work?

Actually, you can compile all the questions of why things do what they do into the singular question of: What is the meaning of life? or Why do we exist? ...what came first, the chicken or the egg?

The magnets thing.....here you go: http://lmgtfy.com... ....thats what you should have done.

stfu, it was a joke.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 3:18:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 11:06:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/10/2011 11:02:53 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:12:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/10/2011 8:10:12 PM, kogline wrote:
any definition of life is going to be inherently biased, you can't get around this.

the more science classes i take the more i realize that science is only the observation of the universe, not the explanation of it.

gravity is the observation that things fall down, not an explanation of why things fall down.

Things fall down because of gravity......lol you see where that logic goes wrong?

When it really comes down to it, you can't accurately explain why anything does what it does.

The fact of the matter is, it just fuggin does, dawg.

Now, that said, you can really get mathematical with the things that do, but as for why anything does anything... It's a miracle man. Fvcking magnets, how do they work?

Actually, you can compile all the questions of why things do what they do into the singular question of: What is the meaning of life? or Why do we exist? ...what came first, the chicken or the egg?

The magnets thing.....here you go: ....thats what you should have done.

If you say the chicken came first: You are a creationist. God placed Adam first, not the embryo.
If you say the egg, you are an evolutionist: The egg was a chicken ancestor's egg that wasnt yet a chicken but who's mutated offspring produced the modern chicken.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 11:37:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/10/2011 3:20:34 PM, Tiel wrote:
Then I was thinking that the source of all activity would need to be traced back to it's point of origin in order to find the answer. To my knowledge this would root all activity into gravity.

Sounds like a big non sequitur. Why not fusion or the Big Bang?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 2:01:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/11/2011 11:37:05 AM, wjmelements wrote:
At 9/10/2011 3:20:34 PM, Tiel wrote:
Then I was thinking that the source of all activity would need to be traced back to it's point of origin in order to find the answer. To my knowledge this would root all activity into gravity.

Sounds like a big non sequitur. Why not fusion or the Big Bang?

I would have to learn some more about fusion to answer correctly.

The Big Bang is a big joke. there would still have had to be something before it. Even Hawking understood this eventually. That's why he admitted it and stated his multiple universe theory instead. The fact is that it's more probable that there are indeed multiple universes and a lot more to actuality than can be conceived with a human brain as the medium for comprehension. Even if all matter from this Universe came from a single point, I would put my money on that point being a white hole. Either way, I would still place gravity at the cause. There is much still to learn about gravity in my opinion.

White Hole: http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
mit648
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 12:48:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/14/2011 3:32:16 PM, ravi_limaye wrote:
I think Midset plays prominent role in your thoughts on issues like gravity...the source of life?

Well it is in the sense that without a force to bring mass together planets wouldnt form, which contain atmosphere and a solid environment. Stars would not form as well which produces the energy most life is dependent on. So yes gravity is the primordial force that wove the universe into a planet suitable for life.
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 2:53:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/19/2011 12:48:44 AM, mit648 wrote:
At 9/14/2011 3:32:16 PM, ravi_limaye wrote:
I think Midset plays prominent role in your thoughts on issues like gravity...the source of life?

Well it is in the sense that without a force to bring mass together planets wouldnt form, which contain atmosphere and a solid environment. Stars would not form as well which produces the energy most life is dependent on. So yes gravity is the primordial force that wove the universe into a planet suitable for life.

How can we know that gravity isn't a force that holds all things in form? Do you think we know enough about the phenomena to make such a clear distinction? Do we really know how gravity works? How it is controlled? Where it comes from? I don't think that we do. It is not impossible or illogical to entertain the idea that gravity is a force of will. That will coming from an entity or force beyond our current understanding of the universe.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."