Jump to topic:

The enlightment

laleona89
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 4:23:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hey guys, so for school I have to do this project about the enlightment and I obviously know what it is and stuff, but I would like your opinions on it and some info just to help me out to see if I'm missing something.
thanks.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 4:26:04 PM
do you mean the Age of Enlightenment?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 5:11:31 PM
The Age of Enlightenment, otherwise known as the Age of Reason was initiated by two men, Thomas Hobbes and John Locke, both of which formed conclusions about government and human nature.

Thomas Hobbes, in his Leviathan 1651, was convinced that "I show in the first place that the state of men without civil society (which state may be called the state of nature) is nothing but a war of all against all; and that in that war, all have a right to all things." He argued that in order to tame the wild impulses of man, government and the social contract--the appropriate relationship between the people and the civil government--needed to e established, with a ruler with the power of a leviathan to directly monitor the suburbanites.

Locke on the other hand believed that humans were reasonable and had a natural ability to govern their own affairs...He favored the idea of self government and promoted the concept of natural rights, of which all are born with the right to life, liberty, and property, all of which are to be protected by the government.

That is only a portion of the entire Age of Reason...and it alleged beginning...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 4:38:59 PM
At 9/11/2011 4:23:21 PM, laleona89 wrote:
Hey guys, so for school I have to do this project about the enlightment and I obviously know what it is and stuff, but I would like your opinions on it and some info just to help me out to see if I'm missing something.
thanks.

I don't know what your project is but I would look into how the Enlightement has affected the modern world. For example, America was founded by man of the Enlightenment and the French revolution was inspired by Enlightenment writers.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 2:06:38 PM
At 9/12/2011 4:38:59 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 9/11/2011 4:23:21 PM, laleona89 wrote:
thanks.

I don't know what your project is but I would look into how the Enlightement has affected the modern world. For example, America was founded by man of the Enlightenment and the French revolution was inspired by Enlightenment writers.

Yes, exactly. The principles of the revolution were the result of the enlightenment and the change in thinking of man's inherent rights, and the role of God, not religion in the life of man. It ended things like divine right (a major change), and paved the way for self governance.