Jump to topic:

Solipsism

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 9:48:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
What are your guy's thoughts on this theory?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 9:48:47 AM
At 9/16/2011 9:48:00 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
What are your guy's thoughts on this theory?:

Silly and inane.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 9:57:26 AM
At 9/16/2011 9:48:47 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Silly and inane.

Technically, there is no way that you can prove the theory wrong. You can't prove it either also.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 9:58:51 AM
Amusing but ulitmately a moot point.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 10:03:01 AM
At 9/16/2011 9:57:26 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

Silly and inane.

Technically, there is no way that you can prove the theory wrong. You can't prove it either also.:

Right, so it's useless to speculate. Teacups orbiting Pluto's core is neither provable nor unprovable... but, yeah, you get the point.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 10:14:36 AM
At 9/16/2011 10:03:01 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Silly and inane.

Technically, there is no way that you can prove the theory wrong. You can't prove it either also.:

Right, so it's useless to speculate. Teacups orbiting Pluto's core is neither provable nor unprovable... but, yeah, you get the point.

Yes I know but it is definitely interesting. Perhaps either you or I are omnipotent beings engaging in games to pass boredom. These games ultimately include making a world to your liking and being in it.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 10:19:27 AM
At 9/16/2011 10:14:36 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

Silly and inane.

Yes I know but it is definitely interesting. Perhaps either you or I are omnipotent beings engaging in games to pass boredom. These games ultimately include making a world to your liking and being in it.

I have to tell you that you guys have made a pretty crappy world.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 10:20:34 AM
At 9/16/2011 10:19:27 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/16/2011 10:14:36 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

Silly and inane.

I have to tell you that you guys have made a pretty crappy world.

What's so interesting about making a perfect world? It's funner to try to fix an imperfect world.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 12:11:38 PM
What are your guy's thoughts on this theory?

Occams razor compels us to accept that it is more likely to be true than its alternatives.

I consider it important to give the benefit of doubt to the existence of other creatures. In other words, people and animals (other than me) probably don't exist, but, they very well may - so they should be treated as if they do exist.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 12:35:48 PM
Solipsism is the position that all we know for certain is that our mind exists. We can't know anything for certain what we experience outside of our minds is real.

This is absolutely true, as anyone with a knowledge of epistemology will tell you. What hardcore skeptics do not like to admit is that they have faith in anything, but it is essential to both functioning in society and having a meaningful discussion to make a few assumptions. The assumption that the world outside of your head exists(in some form or another) is one of these assumptions.

It is rare to find someone who will admit to simply being a solipsist, but what you'll find to be more common is what is known as an "appeal to solipsism", which is very similar to an "argument from ignorance".

An appeal to solipsism, like the name implies, is an argument stating "we can't really know anything" or something to that effect. This is a tactic that is commonly used by people who have been backed into a logical corner, and care more about saving face than admitting their silliness or just walking away.

Sure, in a way, the solipsist is right.. You can't really be 100% sure of anything other than your existence... However, if you are 99% sure of something, I'd say it is safe to make the leap of faith necessary to subscribe to the belief.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 2:26:58 PM
I've always wondered why my dream world and the people in my dream world all seem just as real as this world, until I wake up. Either one world is fake, but there is hardly a way to tell the difference. Both worlds are fake and I am conjuring them both up through some jokeful use of my god-like powers. Or both worlds are real and I do not fully understand the world called "the dream world".

Either way, I find it intriguing.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 2:44:15 PM
Without external senses to keep the mind chained to the outside world, the conscious mind is revealed for the chaotic little monkey it is.

Everyone is constantly dreaming, and this is usually below the radar. It is what is commonly referred to as the "sub conscious". When you are conscious, but sleeping, you are more aware of what is normally your sub conscious, but is now your conscious(as you are aware of it). This is because your external senses are not taking up most of your attention.

The most important aspect of good meditation is becoming more aware of what is going on in your head. Lucid dreaming(what you are describing), can be brought about through meditation, and if the experience is used to learn more about the inner workings of the mind, it can be very useful.

You have to be detached to an extent, and understand that you are going to be dealing with a lot of absurdities. Meditation and Lucid dreaming, when done improperly can lead to certain forms of madness.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 3:18:27 PM
At 9/16/2011 2:44:15 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Without external senses to keep the mind chained to the outside world, the conscious mind is revealed for the chaotic little monkey it is.

Everyone is constantly dreaming, and this is usually below the radar. It is what is commonly referred to as the "sub conscious". When you are conscious, but sleeping, you are more aware of what is normally your sub conscious, but is now your conscious(as you are aware of it). This is because your external senses are not taking up most of your attention.

The most important aspect of good meditation is becoming more aware of what is going on in your head. Lucid dreaming(what you are describing), can be brought about through meditation, and if the experience is used to learn more about the inner workings of the mind, it can be very useful.

You have to be detached to an extent, and understand that you are going to be dealing with a lot of absurdities. Meditation and Lucid dreaming, when done improperly can lead to certain forms of madness.

You do realize that we are talking about solipsism.... right? not proper meditation techniques
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 3:21:36 PM
At 9/16/2011 3:18:27 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:44:15 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

You do realize that we are talking about solipsism.... right? not proper meditation techniques

There really isn't much to talk about when it comes to solipsism. It is a very simple philosophy.

That said, I'm not talking about proper meditation techniques, I'm talking about things relating to the mind, and all of these things are very related to solipsism. The mind's ability to tell you things that aren't so has a bit to do why someone might fall into a solipsist type mindset.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 9:47:23 PM
I think that solipsism has some truth to it... everybody else isn't a figment of my imagination, but the world as I see it is not the way it appears. Take the speed of light - it does not travel through time. As the photon bounces from a far away source to my eye, it arrives immediately - even if it is traveling from the Andromeda galaxy. One way that can be explained is that the light never actually travels at all - it is my consciousness that creates the illusion of vastness and essentially opens up the universe for me to percieve depth and experience relative movement. This would also explain why absolute movement can be proven false.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 11:44:44 PM
At 9/22/2011 11:21:14 PM, Wnope wrote:
I'm always fascinated by Solipsists who spend time trying to convince others of solipsism.

Fascinating. Although, this is DDO and the only function of it seems to be to try and convince.
Rob