Jump to topic:

Psychonautics Through Meditation

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 2:35:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
People love to boast of how there are so many health benefits to meditation and how it increases happiness. It does do those things and we can talk about those things but that's not really what this thread is about. What I'd like to discuss is the incredible mind-altering powers of mediation. The transcendence into other states of consciousness.

I have been prompted to make this thread now because, though I have been meditating for a long time and have felt a wide variety of effects that could be described as altering one's state of consciousness in one form or another, it is only today that meditation has given me what I can honestly say was a profound experience. An out-of-body experience. Not exactly having the sensation of having a body outside of where it actually was but rather not having one or, even better elaborated, not experiencing space. It reminded me of when I tried weed, not because it felt anything like--it didn't--but because it was a state of experience completely different from what is usually felt. The change I had under meditation was even more dramatic than that of weed and more enjoyable as well.

Wikipedia describe Psychonautics as " a methodology for describing and explaining the subjective effects of altered states of consciousness, including those induced by mind altering substances, and to a research paradigm in which the researcher voluntarily immerses him/herself into an altered state by means of such techniques, as a means to explore human experience and existence."

The word is most generally applied to users of psychedelics but it does not only apply to them. Many people have reported experiencing truly mystical experiences without the use of any mind-altering substances. This discussion is about such experiences, their philosophical meanings and implications, techniques used to obtain them and coherently understanding them.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 3:23:06 PM
I read somewhere that when you eliminate the experience of space, you are, at the neurological level, de-activating or underactivating the part of the brain that is responsible for creating spacial awarness. I forget which part of the brain it was - the parietal lobe or something?

Anyway, congradulations on having a profound experience. I've spent a lot of time meditating in the past but the best I could do was put myself to sleep. I guess that's not such a bad skill to learn in and of itself.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 3:44:31 PM
At 9/19/2011 3:42:01 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
http://www.google.com...

This.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 4:55:26 PM
At 9/19/2011 3:44:31 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/19/2011 3:42:01 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
http://www.google.com...

This.

Again, didn't use drugs. Psychonautics is very possible without drugs.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 5:06:24 PM
All good and dandy, but remember.. Most people take these experiences very superstitiously. Try to be as scientific as you can.

Hold fast to the absurd. Be aware of your epistemological limitations.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp